Linseed vs Coolstance Copra

JCGiamoonah

Visit site
A friend recently recommended Coolstance Copra to me for my stressy arab mare who isn't skinny but also isn't looking how I'd want her to. I was wondering if anyone had used it and how you found it?
I've always used Linseed for weight gain and coat condition but someone suggested I feed more Linseed instead of the Copra as it can help with gaining muscle mass? Has anyone found Linseed to make a significant difference to their horses muscle mass?

If anyone has used both, which would you recommend and why? TIA

SEL

Visit site
I use both. Linseed and Copra on the draft who struggles to hold his weight in winter and just Copra on the Appy whose stomach doesn't tolerate linseed.

Copra is high in protein but it's low in essential amino acids. So although it can help with muscle mass it's only if the horse is getting enough of those essential amino acids from another source (e.g. alfalfa). Copra is generally used if you need the fat.

I think linseed has a better profile of amino acids from memory, so that's probably why it's been recommended. If i didn't have one who couldn't eat it then I probably wouldn't bother with Copra - althoughboth horses love the stuff

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
how much linseed are you feeding, and what with?

I do think copra is good too but have no experience of feeding it myself as not needed to.

Steerpike

Visit site
I feed linseed to my arabs, I have tried Chopra but after a week of slowly introducing it to them they turned their noses up at it.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Mine loves coolstance yo reccomended it for him after he dropped weight quite badly last winter and was looking pretty moth eaten. All her rs ponies are on it as well. He's touch wood holding his weight better and is nice and shiny and much less moth eaten!

JCGiamoonah

Visit site
how much linseed are you feeding, and what with?

I do think copra is good too but have no experience of feeding it myself as not needed to.

She gets half a scoop of linseed with 2 scoops of safe and sound, a scoop of conditioning mix, Equilibria 500 balancer, pink mash and a scoop of barley rings in her treat ball at night.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I feed my Arabs linseed anything between 50g and 300g depending on what they need, I have fed copra to one of them for a while but didn't notice much difference so just cut it out and fed the linseed which I think had good results, both have a lovely coat and skin and are well covered with plenty of energy.