Linseed

l_shand01

New User
Visit site
I have been recommended to feed my horse micronized linseed for weight gain. she is currently on alfa a, topspec comprehensive, and cool mix. I don't want to put her on lots of different feeds at once, do you think the linseed would be ok to add to what she is already getting?

Melody Grey

Visit site
I have been recommended to feed my horse micronized linseed for weight gain. she is currently on alfa a, topspec comprehensive, and cool mix. I don't want to put her on lots of different feeds at once, do you think the linseed would be ok to add to what she is already getting?

I too too have been recommend Linseed to put condition on my ex-racer mare. I'm giving it a go and am currently introducing linseed flakes as I'm having a nightmare here in the east mids finding micronised linseed..... Will keep you posted on our progress with the flakes. I'm feeding Alfa a oil in combination with the linseed, so similar to yourself. :)

l_shand01

New User
Visit site
I too too have been recommend Linseed to put condition on my ex-racer mare. I'm giving it a go and am currently introducing linseed flakes as I'm having a nightmare here in the east mids finding micronised linseed..... Will keep you posted on our progress with the flakes. I'm feeding Alfa a oil in combination with the linseed, so similar to yourself. :)

Hi, that's great, yeah, let me know how you get on. I got my linseed from Pegasus Health on the internet

http://www.pegasushealth.com/product/linseed_for_horses?search=linseed&rpage=1&sort=relevance

horsefeed

Visit site
I would drop the cool mix and swap to Alfa A Molasses Free then add balancer and then 200g of Micronized linseed and 200g micronized Soya, this diet has pilled weight on all my horses.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
GW Titmus deliver charnwood mills Linseed. It's surprisingly cheaper than buying it directly from Charnwood. Comes in 20kg sacks for around £20 + p&p.
I would also drop the cool mix for a balancer too and alfa a oil.

rowan666

Visit site
Ive had mine on micronised linseed for a couple of mnths now but cant really tell if its made much difference yet because their coats have always been shiney and they always naturally gain weight this time of year anyway, having said that i have decreased the amount of hard feed and swapped topline mix for plain pony nuts and my anglo is looking fab so im going to stick with it over the next winter months as that will be the real test. I buy from charnwood milling online its only £30ish inc delivery for a 20kg bag and its lasted my 4 for two mnths and its not quite empty yet! :)

TT55

Visit site
I fed micronised linseed to my TB mare and it worked a treat. The change in her condition was noticeable within weeks. I just fed the linseed with graze on chaff and a powder balancer.

Melody Grey, where in the east mids are you? You can get micronised linseed from Tower Farm. Not sure if that's close to you. If not, you can buy it online as previous posters have said.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site

Can't see why not. But have you thought about swapping the Alpha-A for Alpha-A Oil (also good for weight gain)?

Tnavas

Visit site
I would drop the cool mix and swap to Alfa A Molasses Free then add balancer and then 200g of Micronized linseed and 200g micronized Soya, this diet has pilled weight on all my horses.

Be careful feeding Soy products, soy compromises the immune system and causes metabolic problems.

OP you will need to feed around four cups per feed to get weight gain. Melody Grey, you will need quite a bit more as the flakes are a bi product of oil extraction so they don't have as much oil in as micronised. If you are having trouble getting micronised but can get whole seeds then this would be a better way to go. With whole seeds you will need to grind them, a coffee grinder does a great job.

If you are able to get Copra then this is also a great feed for putting on condition. Introduce slowly as some horses are not sure of the smell.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions on where to get micronised linseed- will follow some of them up. I'm based in ashb-de-la-Zouch but am going off into Derbyshire next week to visit family and I'm told that Seale's fodder room stock it so might try there.

Will let you all know how we're getting on in the building condition stakes!

Just to check- if the whole grain is ground, surely it would still need to be boiled? I thought micronisation was high temperature
Treatment and that back in the day whole linseed had to be boiled.... So surely ground whole seed would also need to be boiled, but presumably for less time? Sorry if that sounds daft!

sem9999

Visit site