List EVERYTHING you need as a first time horse owner

Theocat

Visit site
Don't rush out with a shopping list - get the essentials and build up as you go. Rugs, for example, fit very differently, so buying a whole stack then discovering that make doesn't suit your horse is disheartening!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Equine first aid kit:
Vetwrap bandage
Gamgee
Normal tail bandages
Cotton wool
Salt/TCP/Dettol/some fancy posh stuff at 10 times the price (whatever suits you really)
Syringe - large
Scissors - to be used for nothing else than first aid stuff
Thermometer
Wound cream/gel
Poultice
Silver tape
Carrier bag (I wrap them round a poulticed leg then bandage over that because it's easier than trying to bandage directly onto a wet sticky poultice)
Box to put it all in
Padlock? (depends if you leave it open so others can treat your horse if necessary or lock it all up so all those without first aid kits can't nick your stuff)
Phone number of you/vet/farrier taped to the top

Fork/Broom/Barrow
Water bucket/Haynet/Feed bucket
Bedding/Feed/Hay (don't turn upto the new yard on day one with horse but no bedding/feed/hay in case the local shop is shut)
Headcollar and leadrope

Grooming kit:
Stiff brush
Soft brush
Curry comb (one you can use on the horse as well as the brushes)
Hoofpick
Optional extras: flyspray, tail detangler, mud fever cream, stockholm tar, sweet itch cream, shampoo, mane comb, plaiting bands, chalk block.

Rugs: two turnout, one indoor (cooler/fleece/waffle or similar is most useful I find). That's it far too much fuss is made about rugging, you can buy others if you need them and if you're leaving the horse unclipped you don't *need* any at all.

Saddle
Stirrups
Stirrup leathers
Girth
Numnah (can go without but most people prefer one)
Saddlesoap and sponges

Bridle
Bit
Reins
Martingale or breastplate if necessary

Can't think of anything else. No doubt you'll accumulate loads of totally necessary :wink3: tatt/matchy stuff/things you only ever use once/more rugs than your horse can use in a lifetime etc as the years go by, like we all do.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I am going to be buying my first horse, need a list of everything I will need!

Buy the most important first and the rest later you need in no particular order

Insurance
a good farrier
good vet
good bank account or partner
supporting friends
instructor

then depending on livery type of your choice
buckets
tools
feedbowls... feed
tack
head collar well fitting tack
grooming kit
feed
rugs
The rest will come in due course

rachk89

Visit site
Others have made good lists really. All I can say is resist temptation to buy everything. I did and it wasn't easy but is worth it. Woman in the shop actually said she was pleased to see someone only buying essentials and not lots of colourful unnecessary stuff. Your horse doesn't care if everything matches.

abb123

Visit site
Assuming DIY then I would go for essentials first:

Large tub for water
2 x feed buckets and a feed bucket cover
2 x hay net
feed scoop
wheel barrow
fork
brush
hoof pick
body brush
head collar and lead rope

Things that you can add quickly as and when:

poo scooper
purple spray
cotton wool
different grooming brushes
grooming sprays e.g. mane and tail conditioner
shampoos
rugs
leg boots and bandages

Pigeon

Visit site
A good instructor! I think that is really vital. There are so many dodgy ones out there - you need to find someone you admire, who has quite a holistic view, and will advise you on feed/tack/management etc instead of just watching you ride for half an hour and having no more input than that.

Also second hand stuff is good. I find with turnout rugs it's best to buy new, because they lose their waterproofing after a while, but everything else you can find on ebay. Especially leather - good quality leather lasts literally decades, and it's better to buy quality second hand than cheap stuff new.

little_critter

Visit site
Check whether the yard supplies fencing or do you need your own electric fencing?
My first 2 yards supplied all fencing, when I moved to my current yard I didn't think about it, went to turn my pony out to find there was no fence. That was an expensive weekend (battery, energiser, posts, tape)

eggs

Visit site
Less stuff than you think you'll need but you will end up with far more stuff than you need!

It will depend on what type of livery you will be on as to what you need to have.

Probably the most important thing is good, experienced help.

Clannad48

Visit site
For you not the horse - Arnica for the inevitable bruises as well as plasters for those cuts from wooden fencing, sharp objects and if the horse nips you. Tweezers for the splinters from pallets or fencing - a good pair of gloves for yard work, wellies and welly socks for the long winter we are having, wet weather gear ad a good pair of yard boots. A calendar for putting all those vet/dentist/farrier visits, innoculation reminders, etc

And as previously said, wine, chocolate an extremely good sense of humour and if possible either a winning lottery ticket, very rich parents/husband/boyfriend (one who is preferable a vet as well)

Mrs B

Visit site
A very understanding OH. Especially if, like me, you've been DIY for pretty much all of a 26 year relationship. And he's not naturally a 'morning' person.

That's (give or take) 9,490 mornings. Christmas, Birthdays, New Year, duvet days, 'ill' days, anniversaries, Sundays, Bank Holidays, 'special occasion' days, 'hung-over-can't-be-arsed-days' ...

Oh. And as the others have said: no money ever again. If I spent the same on my bedding, overcoats and shoes as I do on my horse, I might not look like a bag lady.