Lister star clippers?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Any good? Need a set to cope with a Fell’s coat-he‘ll have a blanket clip before Xmas and would like to do a full body clip in Jan/feb. Don’t have to be cordless but on the quieter side would be good.

while I’d like some Xplorers that isn’t going to happen, recommendations under £300 please. Have been told, and past experiences suggest that liveryman harmony just won’t cut it (lol).

Cob Life

Visit site
I did my hairy cob with them blanket clip and they handled his mane and feather no problem!

they are louder than smaller clippers which I thought my boy would be funny with but he wasn’t

Indy

Visit site
I've got some and they did hairy Herbie, my little Cushings pony without a problem. They seem a lot more easier to handle and more lightweight than other clippers I've used.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I own some liscop 3000s that cost me £50 2nd hand, but share owner has lister stars which I've used to clip him- in comparison are very light and very quiet!

I wasn't that convinced they'd have coped with hairy metabolic native albeit I did only have fine blades for it.

whirlwind

Visit site
Lister stars are infamous for heating up past the point of being usable. They’re categorised as a light use machine and the motors have a habit of blowing- I clip professionally and wouldn’t touch them. If you’re looking on a budget, Masterclip have a good range and the customer service is second to non, I use either these or the lister Liberty as my main machines. Liveryman black beauty have also had brilliant reviews.

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm, I’ve just got liveryman harmony plus as my very first set of clippers! They’re supposed to be medium, and although my boy has a fluffy coat, it’s quite fine so I’m hoping they will cope. Was the feedback you got that they weren’t good for very thick coat, feathers…she asks hopefully?!

jnb

Visit site
I have Lister Liberty which are very similar to the Stars but with a cordless option (using a waist mounted battery pack) - they are slightly smaller and are lighter than the Star, as I have terrible grip due to arthritic thumbs I find them easier to hold for any period and they make mincemeat of my very HW cob's feather and hog, I use COvercote blades - leave 5mm of hair) as he lives out and has white legs, this way he looks smart & doesn't get itchy, but retains some protection.

The Liveryman Harmony are really a heavy duty trimmer, they are capable of a full clip/hog etc but they will struggle more with those jobs than something like the Liberty. I also found they left tram lines on a grey as the snap-on blades are much narrower (even the wide blade) so it's hard to overlap the clipping strokes to give a really good finish, plus it takes ages and I detest clipping!

SO1

Visit site
I agree mine get very hot. I clip a very hairy new forest.

I have had mine for 10 years now and do a couple of clips a year. Nice to use d quiet but they do get hot and I have to rest them part way through clipping.

The numbers of clips before blades get blunt will depend on the thickness and clearness of the coat. I am thinking of getting a set of coarse blades for mine as think they will be better for first clips rather than the mediums I have.

The problem with masterclips is finding somewhere that will service them.

Lister stars are infamous for heating up past the point of being usable. They’re categorised as a light use machine and the motors have a habit of blowing- I clip professionally and wouldn’t touch them. If you’re looking on a budget, Masterclip have a good range and the customer service is second to non, I use either these or the lister Liberty as my main machines. Liveryman black beauty have also had brilliant reviews.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Hmm, I’ve just got liveryman harmony plus as my very first set of clippers! They’re supposed to be medium, and although my boy has a fluffy coat, it’s quite fine so I’m hoping they will cope. Was the feedback you got that they weren’t good for very thick coat, feathers…she asks hopefully?!

I had a pair quite along time ago, they did a high trace on a Iberian and a bib on an Exmoor-battery pack then died for good. Fell people tell me they dont cope with Fell coats. My Fells coat is by far the thickest and longest Ive dealt with (and my other pony is an Exmoor)-its actually not coarse, there's just huge amounts of it. I would bath him before clipping.

I was told he is an arse to clip but he's actually been very good with me-just not keen on his beard being done-but would prefer clippers on the quieter side. I think I will just leave it-can't justify £400 for something used twice a year.

Last edited:

lucy_108

Visit site
Wouldn't buy them again. I don't clip professionally as such, but I do a lot of clipping for friends and I really don't like them. They get hot, even with the finest and cleanest of coats and they are VERY loud. I have also clipped with the cordless version (Liberty) and they are a pathetic excuse for a cordless clipper (IMO). I clipped a fairly fine TB with them last weekend and they just couldn't handle it, despite the fact he was relatively clean and it was a second clip. Personally, I'd not go down the Lister route again - if I had the funds just now I'd be getting some Liveryman Black Beautys - they are a class set of clippers.

catkin

Visit site
I have the Liberty version rather than the star as like cordless as I often clip outside in the yard rather than in a stable. This Liberty is only 2 years old but they replaced the old version which did sterling service for over 25 years though the batteries did need replacing a couple of times. They were clipping 2 sometimes 3 ponies each winter.
Have done 2 high blanket clips on a Fell this season and full clips on various hairies in the past.
The blades can heat up on any clipper, if you keep the blades oiled and brush out excess hair they seem to keep cool enough to not bother the horse.

asmp

Visit site
I had mine for years and they’re still going strong. Yes, I only clip 2 hairy monsters two or three times a year but I like them. They’re pretty noisy but mine don’t care.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve got Lister stars, have had a them for a few years now and they do a great job on my two boys - Connie and a Connie x ID. I probably do 6 clips a year with them (blanket and half head).

minesadouble

Visit site
I have 20 year old Lister Liberty and they've never let me down. I have only clipped finer coats with them though.
I now seem to have ended up owning two hairy cobs, (God knows how that happened) and had been debating getting some heavier duty clippers.

I recently found my Libertys in the cattle shed, blades full of manky cattle coat ? and after some heated words with the OH I promptly ordered the Heiniger Xperience 2s. They arrived on Tuesday and I'll be clipping an absolute Yak of a coloured cob tomorrow so I'll report back then!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Like the Stars. They are easy to handle. But they do get hot and take a lot of time to cool down.

They were fine when I was just clipping one. But now I’m doing four I’ve upgraded. Kept the Stars as spares ?

jnb

Visit site
To be fair, I have always clipped (because of having a grey sensitive cob) with 2 sets of blades and swapped them if they got warm so I could keep clipping ang to avoid irritating his skin with any heat.
The new Lister Liberty with the Lithium battery pack is 10 x better than the old style thin, large battery pack which would get battery memory issues and the battery degraded very easily.
My Lister Liberty Lithium battery pack lasts about 6 lots leg trims and hogs (every other week or so for one coarse haired show cob) before even sounding like it needs charging - it also doesn't need to be flat to charge and takes 2 or so hours for a full charge from flat, the old battery took 16 hours to charge and you were supposed to turn off after that to avoid damaging the battery, the Lithium one you just put on charge when you want and unplug when you're ready.

Sprig

Visit site
I have Liveryman Harmony Plus clippers and I rate them really highly. They are extremely quiet and clip well. I do a full clip on my ISH and also blanket clips on hairy ponies. No issues at all. I also have a set of corded Lister Neon clippers. They are good but considerably noisier and tend to run hot. I just use the Liveryman clippers for everything now.

AFB

Visit site
I've used a friends Stars to help her clip her cushings pony and thick coated welsh x cob, both full clips - I absolutely love them and was tempted to replace my 8 year old Masterclip Rangers with them, however if I'm going to replace them I'd rather buy something cordless so keeping an eye out for a good deal on the Liberty's atm.

I haven't noticed any excess heat (in fact I also helped another friend with their brand new Masterclip Roamers) and had to stop 5x to let the blades cool which completely put me off them (and I've never had a bad word to say about Masterclip before that!!) whereas the Star's weren't an issue at all.

I also disagree with the comments RE noise but that could be because mine are getting on and are quite deafening, I suppose it depends on what you're used to...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve got Masterclip HD Roamers and they did two pretty much full clips on the two batteries supplied. I Hunter clipped my large 16.2 WB although his coat isn’t as thick as some but I then lent them straight after to someone clipping and hogging a cob as their clippers kept cutting out after doing a patch on the neck. I didn’t find they overheated at all.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
well I was looking at the Roamers but then read reviews that they get hot. I dunno, I would always have spare blades but he is very hairy! I would buy the Roamers if I was confident, I would prefer cordless when it comes down to it.