literally don't know what to do... ideas please.

Tally-lah

Visit site
Okay this is a long one and please be kind, I am feeling desperate enough as it is...

I have a rather cheeky three year old cob, Bess, who came to me after being rescued by a good friend of mine. She came to my friend on the verge of death, the other three she was rescued with didn't survive as they had been so badly starved. How she survived I don't know... due to this, I think, she has learned to escape from just about anywhere. In the summer we had a few incidents of her barging through electric tape and jumping fences but nothing major as it was summer, there was lots of grass and she was less inclined to escape. However, now its winter, there is hardly any grass and my girl is constantly jumping out of her field! She is 14.1 at present but can jump a five bar gate, I have watched her. Mostly she just wanders to the nearest patch of grass, puts her head down and eats.

However, Sunday morning I arrived at the yard, looked around and she was gone, as well as my other pony, Fred, and my friends mini shetland, the fence had been ploughed down, literally. My partner and I searched the farm and I called the police. We searched the village and surrounding woods. I was completely beside myself. Called horsey friends and asked them for help. As friends were driving to yard they happened to glance into a field by the side of the road (about 5 miles from my yard) and saw the three ponies! Turns out the police had found them on the road in the middle of the night (this is an A road) and herded them into a field. The owner of the livery yard where they were found then moved them so they could be seen from the main road in case people were out looking for them (which we were the next morning).

We got them home and I put them out with my other horses and thought this might stop them from escaping as they prefer to be together. Got to yard yesterday morning and both Bess and Fred were out again, still on the farm and grazing happily. I put them back into their original field and mended the fence which had been ploughed through as didn't know what else to do. Went up yesterday evening and they were still where I had left them and I heaved a sigh of relief.

Got to yard this morning and they were out again! They had gone through a different part of the fence this time. I have now put them in another field, it's further away from the other horses and I hate it. It's where the farmer dumps all his old farm equipment and I don't feel it is suitable for livestock. I have put up electric tape around the equipment but don't want them in their at all really.

The fencing is so old and is in desperate need of replacing - which I have been on to the farmer about for ages, he's been promising to get it replaced since I moved to the yard three years ago! I don't have stables and I can't move to a yard as have five horses. I have been desperately looking for somewhere else but at present can't find anything suitable. I just don't know what to do and I am so worried that ponies are going to get seriously injured or cause an accident.

Any advice would be appreciated... Thanks for reading massive post.

wingedhorse99

Visit site
Okay this is a long one and please be kind, I am feeling desperate enough as it is...

I have a rather cheeky three year old cob, Bess, who came to me after being rescued by a good friend of mine. She came to my friend on the verge of death, the other three she was rescued with didn't survive as they had been so badly starved. How she survived I don't know... due to this, I think, she has learned to escape from just about anywhere. In the summer we had a few incidents of her barging through electric tape and jumping fences but nothing major as it was summer, there was lots of grass and she was less inclined to escape. However, now its winter, there is hardly any grass and my girl is constantly jumping out of her field! She is 14.1 at present but can jump a five bar gate, I have watched her. Mostly she just wanders to the nearest patch of grass, puts her head down and eats.

However, Sunday morning I arrived at the yard, looked around and she was gone, as well as my other pony, Fred, and my friends mini shetland, the fence had been ploughed down, literally. My partner and I searched the farm and I called the police. We searched the village and surrounding woods. I was completely beside myself. Called horsey friends and asked them for help. As friends were driving to yard they happened to glance into a field by the side of the road (about 5 miles from my yard) and saw the three ponies! Turns out the police had found them on the road in the middle of the night (this is an A road) and herded them into a field. The owner of the livery yard where they were found then moved them so they could be seen from the main road in case people were out looking for them (which we were the next morning).

We got them home and I put them out with my other horses and thought this might stop them from escaping as they prefer to be together. Got to yard yesterday morning and both Bess and Fred were out again, still on the farm and grazing happily. I put them back into their original field and mended the fence which had been ploughed through as didn't know what else to do. Went up yesterday evening and they were still where I had left them and I heaved a sigh of relief.

Got to yard this morning and they were out again! They had gone through a different part of the fence this time. I have now put them in another field, it's further away from the other horses and I hate it. It's where the farmer dumps all his old farm equipment and I don't feel it is suitable for livestock. I have put up electric tape around the equipment but don't want them in their at all really.

The fencing is so old and is in desperate need of replacing - which I have been on to the farmer about for ages, he's been promising to get it replaced since I moved to the yard three years ago! I don't have stables and I can't move to a yard as have five horses. I have been desperately looking for somewhere else but at present can't find anything suitable. I just don't know what to do and I am so worried that ponies are going to get seriously injured or cause an accident.

Any advice would be appreciated... Thanks for reading massive post.

Assuming expressing the seriousness of horses being out on an A road in darkness due to weak fencing, doesnt impress farmer, to sort fencing.

You neeed to invest in 5ft perimeter electric fencing. If necessary double fenced in the areas they might break out.

If can pick up tape, energiser and posts from ebay / facebook groups.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
OMG what a scare you have had. I know the feeling my little gypsy cop can pop over electric fencing from a stand still. In the short term can you get them a round hay bale in their field, it might just keep them busy. The fencing really needs to be sorted out, but it is very expensive. Have you tried the very tall electric fencing, because she might not be so keen to walk through it if it is head height! At a livery I ride at they have put electric fencing on top of normal fencing to keep the stallion in, looks like they keep a elephant in there not a cute little spanish chap!!
all i can think of at the moment.

WelshD

Visit site
I would electric fence it temporarily and also ask the farmer for a reduction on the rent so you can get it fenced yourself (that may push him in to doing something)

That's if you are not responsible for the fencing - on the land I rent I have to pay for fencing, its not covered by the landowner

9tails

Visit site
You need to sort out your fencing, it may be your farmer's responsibility within your contract but I really don't feel he should be held responsible for horses ploughing it down. Get a really strong energiser, make sure she has no rugs on, make the fences higher, do two fences a couple of metres apart.

Also agree with poster above about the round bale of hay. You're not going to keep her in if she's got nothing to eat.

Tally-lah

Visit site
OMG what a scare you have had. I know the feeling my little gypsy cop can pop over electric fencing from a stand still. In the short term can you get them a round hay bale in their field, it might just keep them busy. The fencing really needs to be sorted out, but it is very expensive. Have you tried the very tall electric fencing, because she might not be so keen to walk through it if it is head height! At a livery I ride at they have put electric fencing on top of normal fencing to keep the stallion in, looks like they keep a elephant in there not a cute little spanish chap!!
all i can think of at the moment.

Thank you. They have as much hay as they want, I put out a bale between them in the morning and then they get more in the afternoon/evening if they have finished off the mornings hay. I also give them a hard feed as thought this might help. It literally doesn't seem to matter how high the fencing is, or how strong the current, she jumps/barges through it!

I spoke with the farmer last night and he said the guys are coming to replace the fencing next Monday, it'll take approx a week to complete, I am just worried about between now and then. It seems like now they know they can get out they will. They jumped out from the field they were in with my others, luckily my other horses (who are bigger than the two rascals) didn't follow.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Have they got plenty of hay out in the field?
I'd puts lots out in variety of areas so she has to find her food but in a safe environment- it sounds like she is after food. Agree head height fencing may well stop her or failing that double fence it a couple meters apart so she goes through one but is still enclosed by second.
Other thought is she rugged? If so get the rug off or put some electric tape from front of rug onto her neck so when she goes through she feels the zap. Can you charge the fence from mains? It's much stronger that what our yard is on and not a single one will go through it.

lelly

Visit site
I was going to say do you feed hay in the field? They obviously think the grass is better elsewhere. I had a yearling who jumped out and the only way I stopped it was six foot high fencing and electric tape on top and in front. It is difficult if they don't respect electric fencing though. Good luck with this its a worry.

Tally-lah

Visit site
I would electric fence it temporarily and also ask the farmer for a reduction on the rent so you can get it fenced yourself (that may push him in to doing something)

That's if you are not responsible for the fencing - on the land I rent I have to pay for fencing, its not covered by the landowner

I am not responsible for fencing. When I moved onto the land it was one of the things that was on his "to-do list" as it is over fifty years old. I have double fencing, the longer electric posts and a caravan battery. I bought a new energiser, one designed for cattle, at the beginning of autumn as knew she was a pickle, they are both unrugged but nothing seems to stop them.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Thank you. They have as much hay as they want, I put out a bale between them in the morning and then they get more in the afternoon/evening if they have finished off the mornings hay. I also give them a hard feed as thought this might help. It literally doesn't seem to matter how high the fencing is, or how strong the current, she jumps/barges through it!

I spoke with the farmer last night and he said the guys are coming to replace the fencing next Monday, it'll take approx a week to complete, I am just worried about between now and then. It seems like now they know they can get out they will. They jumped out from the field they were in with my others, luckily my other horses (who are bigger than the two rascals) didn't follow.

Is your girl in rug?
If she is she will be using said rug to block the sting of the fence. Cut a piece of fencing and tie it around the buckles at the front so she can be zapped.
Sadly some horses just work out electric fencing and it will never keep them in.
Once the new fencing is up make sure to protect it with electric, she is unlikely to push through it then

OWLIE185

Visit site
The first thing you need to be aware of is that a recent court case demonstrated that the owner of a horse is responsible for any accident that the horse causes even if it is not the owners fault. You need to ensure that you have third party public liability insurance in place for no less than £10,000,000 (Ten Million Pounds) for each of your horses. (Many insurance policies do not provide cover to this level so check you policy now).
This horse clearly needs to be secured within higher 5 foot high fencing and you will need to get this sorted out without delay to avoid any further incidents.

Tally-lah

Visit site
The first thing you need to be aware of is that a recent court case demonstrated that the owner of a horse is responsible for any accident that the horse causes even if it is not the owners fault. You need to ensure that you have third party public liability insurance in place for no less than £10,000,000 (Ten Million Pounds) for each of your horses. (Many insurance policies do not provide cover to this level so check you policy now).
This horse clearly needs to be secured within higher 5 foot high fencing and you will need to get this sorted out without delay to avoid any further incidents.

I am aware of this, thank you.

ihatework

Visit site
Is the fencing just normal plastic posts & tape on a car battery?

If so then that will never keep in an escaper I'm afraid.

You need solid posts and mains electric. Even then you might find they still try it. I'd run the clippers on their chest, hopefully a good zap on bare skin from mains electric will help.

Otherwise (dare I say it for fear of lynching) - some taut barbed wire wouldn't be out of the question for me. There is a good reason it's used by farmers for cattle and might be what you need for an ignorant cob

JulesRules

Visit site
Just to clarify - cheeky mare is either jumping over fencing or barging through electric fencing and letting all her friends out?

When she barges through the electric is it definitley on? If so is she rugged? Any change of leaving her unrugged which might discourage her from going through, or looking at one of those special rugs that stop them going through electric ( I have no idea if they work but remember a thread on here previously about it where people also suggested various ways of cheaply modifying a standard rug to the same effect).

In terms of stopping her from jumping over the only suggestion I have is to go higher. I guess it doesn't have to be the electric that is higher, as long as she see's it as being higher, maybe a few tall wooden postswith twine strung between would discourage her?

I hope you sort something soon. I can't begin to imagine how stressful this is for you.

Just to say I wrote this before your response above popped up. I would agree with running a clipper over her chest which might help with the zap, especially is she is a hairy cob!

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
You might not be responsible for the fencing, but you are strictly liable for your horses. I think you will have to go and get some electric fencing with a good energiser and some long stakes so you can put up a decent fence. You can buy a mains energisers which can pack quite a punch. You might need three or four strands of electric tape. Also buy the little device so you can check how strong the current is. You have to make sure there is nothing touching the tape which will leak the current away. Maybe telephone the electric fencing manufacturers and ask them to suggest a suitable set-up.

This might be quite an investment, but if it keeps your horses safe it will be worth it. And since it will be your fencing you can take it with you if you ever move.

Tally-lah

Visit site
Just to clarify - cheeky mare is either jumping over fencing or barging through electric fencing and letting all her friends out?

When she barges through the electric is it definitley on? If so is she rugged? Any change of leaving her unrugged which might discourage her from going through, or looking at one of those special rugs that stop them going through electric ( I have no idea if they work but remember a thread on here previously about it where people also suggested various ways of cheaply modifying a standard rug to the same effect).

In terms of stopping her from jumping over the only suggestion I have is to go higher. I guess it doesn't have to be the electric that is higher, as long as she see's it as being higher, maybe a few tall wooden postswith twine strung between would discourage her?

I hope you sort something soon. I can't begin to imagine how stressful this is for you.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have "normal" fencing around the perimeter of each field, I then have about 2 meters from the fencing my own electric tape and fencing (unfortunately not mains but as strong as I can get) running around each field. Cob and Pony are not rugged. They are barging through the tape (it is definitely on) and then jumping over the fence. I am guessing it is Cob who is barging and pony goes with her and then they both jump fence. My other horses stay put as terrified of the tape and wouldn't dream of jumping out of field. I will look into the rug idea, thank you.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
I agree with ihatework, barbed wire, tight as can be, it will stop her. Rather a few scratches than onto a main road. Also cheap and easy to put onto existing posts.

Tally-lah

Visit site
I agree with ihatework, barbed wire, tight as can be, it will stop her. Rather a few scratches than onto a main road. Also cheap and easy to put onto existing posts.

The fencing was originally barbed wire around the top of the fences, she jumped and cut her legs and belly to ribbons. It was horrific and cost a lot in vets fees. Didn't stop her jumping though. We have since removed all the barbed wire as it is evil stuff.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
What a horrible situation for you, I can imagine the stress. I'm assuming there is no way of getting a mains electric fence? At this point I think only 5ft mains electric will stop them. If you can't get it on the current yard I would be looking for a yard where you can. Make sure their chests are clipped so they get a proper sting.

Shady

Visit site
i am really sorry for you having this worry, i have it a bit myself with my Arab, he is perfect except in this one area and iv'e had times where i just can't leave the property as i know he'll get out. he goes thru , under or over and has no respect for electric fencing, he never goes far but to him the grass is always greener on the other side, what sort of fencing is on the property? you mentioned electric tape but is it all taped? i have had to post and rail most of my perimeter quite high and a high electric line on top, also i double fence( tape,electric) through the land to keep him out of paddocks and that seems to work really well, i don't know what else to say to you OP, it's difficult when it's not your own land , i'm really sorry.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm not sure I understand -
You already have 'normal' fencing, does that mean full height stuff? And they are still jumping it?

If so why would new fencing make any difference - surely they would just jump it? You might need to explore stallion height fencing.

Seems very odd that a horse with company and ad lib hay needs to jump out. Could there be another reason, is she getting bullied?

Tally-lah

Visit site
What a horrible situation for you, I can imagine the stress. I'm assuming there is no way of getting a mains electric fence? At this point I think only 5ft mains electric will stop them. If you can't get it on the current yard I would be looking for a yard where you can. Make sure their chests are clipped so they get a proper sting.

I am literally not sleeping, just lying awake, waiting for a call to say there has been an accident and counting the hours until I get to the yard to see where they are!

I hadn't thought of clipping but then would have to rug, surely? I have been looking for alternative yards but with the fences being done so soon (next week) I would rather not move if I can help it. I don't know how to go about getting mains for the electric, will speak to the farmer this pm about it...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
thick winter coats when dry are pretty good against electric even if you are sure it is as powerful as a 12v energiser can get (some of them are pretty good!)

What is farmer intending to fence with? If mare is jumping it?

you could chest clip and not rug.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Clearly the only thing that will keep your horses in is going to be very high and sturdy fencing.
I would suggest that the solution will be to use 6 feet high heavy duty post and rail fencing with Equi-fencing on it (a tight form of sheep netting). (Every third post should be concreted in place in to the ground) This will prevent your horses barging through it.

Tally-lah

Visit site
thick winter coats when dry are pretty good against electric even if you are sure it is as powerful as a 12v energiser can get (some of them are pretty good!)

What is farmer intending to fence with? If mare is jumping it?

you could chest clip and not rug.

He is going to put a higher post and rail fence up, although, as another poster said, it might not actually stop her as she can jump a five bar gate quite happily.

dianchi

Visit site
Cheaper alternative to full on stallion fencing, attach electric fencing on top of existing fence posts- added height and some zap power!

Good luck!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If she is such a good jumper would it be possible to let her go to a jumping home where she will be getting a lot of work, and stabled at night in winter .......... does she jump out in summer?