literally don't know what to do... ideas please.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Horses like this are a land owners nightmare and I'm afraid I couldn't have a horse like that on my property. I bought one who turned out to be like this. He was the sweetest horse and a wonderful novice ride but when he got out first time that was bad enough, the second time he got out he took the rest of the herd with him (and this was good post and rail fencing!). There was no third time, I sold him immediately. I had one horse on this farm here who was like this; horse just barged through fencing and smashed it to smithereens and although I did refence the field, I did give the owner notice for that particular horse. She was fine about it as the horse was driving her insane too, so she sold the horse pdq and just kept her well behaved horses here.

As mentioned above, heighten your fence or consider hobbling.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
AA, how did you fix the electric posts to the fence, I'm squinting at the pic and do I see the metal foot spike slotted through staples knocked into the post?

It looks just the job to deter a fence hopper.

Yes, fencing staples. Those paddocks are tiny, 2 the size of a 20 x 80 arena and one slightly larger. I just used a handle to go over the gates and put a decent battery on. I used it when the show horse was turned out to stop him popping over and destroying the 2 years of rehab I had done and to stop him leaning over and picking his pony companion up.

It was a mess but did the job until the boy settled down.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I used to have a pony that would jump out of anywhere. An old farmer told me to do this and it really worked well for him. Put on a headcollar , put a strong browband on it and between the noseband and browband fasten some stiff material like leather. This goes down the front of his face and sticks out at the side past his eyes. It works like blinkers but instead of stopping the horse seeing behind him it stops him seeing in front. He's fine to graze and interact with the others but he can't see in front of him where he needs to see to set up to jump a fence. It worked a treat with mine though he only jumped, he didn't barge through fences.

Clodagh

Visit site
Firstly, if I was your YO you would be getting your marching orders!
Secondly how will you feel if she kills someone?
Hobble her - why are you still worried about her comfort?

EmmaB

Visit site
I had a pony who would jump the fence to be with other horses (even though there were horses in her field) also didn't like being caught so I ended up tethering her because I couldn't guarantee that she wouldn't jump into the neighbours field. She was totally fine with it. I only did it for a while and then I think she got the idea.

Could you attach electric tape to her head collar? Don't know if it would work to give her an extra zap.

Otherwise I'd try the electric posts attached to the existing fence idea, good luck, its so frustrating!

NikNak1

Visit site
Someone might have suggested this already so sorry if that's the case and I'm repeating suggestions (have only skim read all the replies!!) but have you thought about getting a rug that's supposed to intensify electric fence shocks??? Don't know if they work but here's a link to the website http://www.guardianequestrian.com
good luck hope you get something sorted

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
I used to have a pony that would jump out of anywhere. An old farmer told me to do this and it really worked well for him. Put on a headcollar , put a strong browband on it and between the noseband and browband fasten some stiff material like leather. This goes down the front of his face and sticks out at the side past his eyes. It works like blinkers but instead of stopping the horse seeing behind him it stops him seeing in front. He's fine to graze and interact with the others but he can't see in front of him where he needs to see to set up to jump a fence. It worked a treat with mine though he only jumped, he didn't barge through fences.

that sounds worth a shot-good idea!

OP-was she in her field this morning? fingers crossed xxxxxx

horsefeed

Visit site
I would be ensure hay 24/7 with no chance of her ever running out.
I would teach her to respect electric fencing touch her with it when it is on so she knows it gives a shock!
If she still got out I would be hobbling and tethering, she is a danger to herself and others.
I used to have a small pony who escaped I fortunately had stables but every times she got out she spent 48 hours in with limited hay, after 2 or 3 escapes she never did it again. Sometime you have to be cruel to be kind.

russianhorse

Visit site
She is not bullied, she is not hungry, she is a very happy pony. I don't understand it. she is young and inquisitive. not scared of anything and always wants to explore. I had turned her away for the winter but am thinking perhaps I should bring her back into work, maybe she is bored? Maybe giving her brain something to do and using some of her energy might stop her from feeling the need to explore constantly....

I have a 5 yo Gypsy cob who catches me out and escapes sometimes - there is wooden posts all around, with wire, and electric tape around the inside perimeter. It appears What he does is keep an eye or ear out and wait for the battery to be a little weaker, and then go through where it stops suddenly. The battery will show half full but won't stretch to the whole perimeter. I've now taken to checking the whole perimeter daily with my tester and replacing with a full battery. Unfortunately some horses are just escapees. My lad wants for nothing bit still goes for the occasional wander.

If wearing a rug, I read a tip on here that I found useful - see some electric tape on to front of the rug and let a bit overhang onto him directly.

I'm currently making a gate for my shelter, to keep my boy in overnight as he seems to disappear either overnight or early hours of the morning :/

Gingersmum

Visit site
Dont know if this has already been suggested . . .

Buy the electric 'Rope' rather than the 'Tape' as it is stronger.

Use the higher posts and use plenty so the distance of Rope/tape is shorter.

Make sure rope/tape is quite tight.

Use a fence tester to make quite sure current is going through the whole rope/tape and that your energiser is turned up to fastest pulse.

Keep him in a stable overnight, use a weaving grill so he cant jump the door, for peace of mind at night.

Good luck ;-)

honetpot

Visit site
I have had pony escape artists and also have sheep and it is possible to keep them in with a battery energiser but you have to be diligent.
Tape, do not buy wide tape, buy off e-bay the narrow stuff with at least 5 wires and a if possible a copper strand. If she has been through the tape the wires may have been stretched and broken so are shorting, even if you can not see it so replace the tape. The reason for buying narrow tape is if they touch it they have a greater chance of being zapped, wider tape usually has only the same amount of strands.
Energiser, check its got the greatest kick you can buy, needs to be over 5kj, ring Rutland or a good supplier to check. If possible get one that you can run separate fences from or loan another energiser so if they get through the first fence the second is not earthed out and increase the pulse rate.
Earth, you must have a good earth or it will not work properly.
Battery, always have a spare and a routine of changing them before they are discharged.
Check that no kind person has wrapped your fence round wood or metal.
I have a pony that will walk the fence line and check for any weaknesses , he used to run through fencing, two staggered fences with separate energisers cured him. Its got to hurt.

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
Everyone around here has 8ft high deer proof fencing to try and stop the b***s jumping into the fields. It's pricey, but works wonders at keeping my escape artist in.