Little Concerned...and a bit of a rant!**sorry long**

Carys1989

Visit site
hey
smile.gif
just seeing if anyone has some great advice for me
smile.gif
as im now at a loss.

My 11yr old mare has been off work with a ligament injury in her stifle for 2 years...had an operation in newmarket, and then 2 lots of therapy (cant remember what its called, im sure they took some blood, put it with something and injected it into the ligament or something!), well 2 weeks ago the vet came, and told me she looked good, fully sound in walk, and in trots she just moves now like shes got leg shorter than the other cos of the way the injury has healed, but said this will improve in time and work...

Well thought id come home from uni during this revision week so i could start riding her again
laugh.gif
very excited after not being able to ride my little star for 2 years! well got on and she was the laziest thing ever!!! did a little trot up one side of the school and she ws perfect..in an outline and everything
shocked.gif
she remembered her schooling well!! then went to trot on the other rein.......was perfect up one side, if a little on the slow side, trotted her round...and suddenly she just catapulted off and start bronching and bucking (i fell off! haha! but thats beside the point!).

My dad managed to film the episode..and her trot was abit wobbly..like she was kind of waddling with her back end..(when im back at uni i shall upload the vid so you can see)...i know she doesnt look 100% but the vet said she isnt in pain from it...its just mechanical lamness...

I just dont understand why she did it? she didnt spook...or anything..its sooo out of character of her...i had her 2 yrs prior to the injury and hadnt fell off her once...she spooks a little, but she just gallops off a little, but never tries to purposefully get me off...

Now i dont know what to do....do i call the vet again in case shes in pain (bareing in mind shes now used allll of her insurance money on the leg...so now my mum and dad are now paying for it)?
I want to get on her again today but im sat her with my ankle all strapped up and cant walk on it!! lol and im abit wary now of riding her...i know shes never done it before..but i fell off a horse 6yrs ago and had a very bad fall, broke my arm and found i had a bone disorder (just in the one arm) which makes my bone very weak...sooo the docs said i shouldnt ride anymore (oooppps! still do!!lol) but anywho....now i managed to fall away from my bad arm and land on the ankle!! but i dont want to risk smashing my arm up!

Well anywho...im at a loss...my dad has spent so much time and money getting her back sound for me cos shes such a lovely horse...i just dont want to think that this 2 yrs off has been to much for her? orr her leg still isnt actually better!

Well thanks for the rant!! Im sorry its sooo long...and i havent really posted on her before...i just didnt want to moan to my rents cos of all theyve done for gem!

(oo forgot to say, yesterday wasnt the first time ive ridden her in 2 yrs...ive been riding her in walk since xmas...)

Thanks
grin.gif
grin.gif

Carys1989

Visit site
nope...well she has been on walking therapy since xmas..and now is up to 1/2hr walk every day...he just said to start building trotting into her work out...so yesterday only did about 4 lengths of the school trot..

hi jinx? whats this? sorry im sorry if im being blonde! i may have knocked my head with the fall!
tongue.gif

have decided i may lunge her later? but not sure if circle work may not help the leg?

conniegirl

Visit site
Its the explosion you inevitably get at least once when bringing a horse back into work.
They feel far too well in themselves and think whoopy lets have a buck!

Anyway I'd walk her out before you ride her and then think about trot. Also remeber that as she hasnt been in work for over 2 years she will not have the muscle tone she did. This could mean that her saddle isnt fitting as well. It will deffiantly mean that she wont be able to hold an outline for very long and you will have to build her up to it!

Carys1989

Visit site
Thanks guys:D suppose i just hoped shed be back to normal straight away...which i know is very unlikely lol! im sure she shall be back to her old self in no time! shall ride her again later and see how it goes
laugh.gif

cellie

Visit site
If you have her back checked it would be good idea to have teeth done at the same time either could have caused discomfort.

karenjj

Visit site
Hey, I would def. check her saddle fits properly after all this time she's certain to have changed shape. My mare had a similar thing and it was her saddle causing the problems..

Carys1989

Visit site
hey
smile.gif
thanks for the advice! im back at uni now..so the getting back to work is on hold for a while..(my dad is the only person willing to try...and seens as he hasnt ridden in 4yrs...i think it might not be a good idea!!)
Shes just had her teeth done...and as soon as i get back i shall have her saddle checked..she has lost a heck of a lot of muscle tone...so this may be the problem!
Thanks
Carys
smile.gif