Little 'Friends'...

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
New five month old foal is now with us, only he's brought some little friends with him
blush.gif

Tried the powder from the saddlers (in a red tin), but so far no joy. Vet is bringing some Frontline tomorrow. Anyone any other suggestions?

amandathepanda

Visit site
Depends on the types of 'friends'. Obviously the usual flea/louse powder is a good starting point. Worming Strongid P is meant to help get rid of lice (according to my old vet) so if you need to worm might be worth trying this - seemed to help with the very 'popular' polo ponies I looked after for a season! If your foal is very 'friendly' sometimes the only way to go is to get rid of as much fur as possible(!) (sorry this does mean clipping), wash with delightful anti-everything preparations such as Virkon & then de-louse again. Rugs make it worse as they give the little beasties somewhere else to hide.

amandathepanda

Visit site
Personally I couldn't imagine anything worse than having to de-fluff a cutesy gorgeous baby! Their fluffy coats are so lovely - unfortunately that is also why they get rather popular with their 'friends'
mad.gif

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Frontline does the job but you have to work it deep into the coat in the areas the little bleeders like the best and then you MUST repeat it in 10 - 14 days to catch the eggs that hatch out and would otherwise re-infect your ned and drive you to the brink of insanity!!!