Little rant about sharer

crazymaisey

Visit site
I'd be keen to know your views on this...

I have a girl 14yo ride one of the ponies in my care (belongs to my neighbour) once a week. From the outset I asked her mum to arrange PA and public liability insurance policy & suggested the BHS gold membership as a good start. I also asked the mum to sign a riding school style disclaimer to say she agrees I am not responsible for her daughter.

She has signed the disclaimer but in terms of insurance has faffed around and not organised anything, saying the BHS asked her all sorts of questions about the arrangement.

The arrangement is that the daughter rides, I walk out with her (heavily preg so not riding) and I don't charge anything or expect her to do any work.

I'm ending up feeling like its a bit too much effort!! I advertised the situation to ensure said pony gets out a bit but very much as a slow hack as she's in her 20's. She was advertised very honestly but daughter seems to want to do more on her!

There are lots of things that irk me like her tack not being carefully put away, where she's been tied up not being tidy and it's just becoming work and worry that I'm not sure I really want. The horses are kept at home which makes me more precious about how things are left.

Am I being reasonable in being a bit pee'd off?

bonny

Visit site
I can't see that the situation is worth anything to anyone so I would just stop....maybe just retire the horse ?

WelshD

Visit site
I'd call it a day on the grounds of the delay in sorting insurance

If they suddenly produce some insurance then I would possibly let it carry on with a few ground rules

be positive

Visit site
A walking hack is not going to appeal to a 14 year old for long, you may have been honest but the reality may not have been that obvious to a young girl who wants to ride of course they will want to do more and make progress or they will lose interest which is probably what has happened. You may as well just lead the pony out or leave it as there is not much benefit from a walk once a week, not to mention the hassle having someone on your yard can cause, they never do things your way.

crazymaisey

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone :) I was a bit disappointed to learn that she had trotted the pony up the road today too whilst her mum walked out with her. I was too tired but normally go myself. I do appreciate that she's an ambitious teenager and wants to do more. Despite my advert perhaps I should have been more realistic.

Perhaps I'll see what happens re insurance this week but put my foot down until she has it. Also I shall put ground rules in place and she can choose if she carries on!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I would stop.

Have horse will trot.....then canter and then before you know they want to jump......it's called progress. I think you need to concentrate on your baby.

charliecrisps

Visit site
Sounds like you'd be better off with someone older who really does just like a plod up the road and life in the slow lane. I'd try advertise and state that. Also, you may even get someone who will take on more duties/ responsibility for a couple of weeks when baby here to help you too :)

Theocat

Visit site
The BHS don't usually ask any questions at all, sounds to me as if they just haven't bothered. I don't think the sharer should be paying for public liability, though - the horse could break out or cause damage at any time so I'd see that as the responsibility of the owner or permanent keeper.

I'd worry about the disclaimer as well - by walking out with her you are demonstrating that you are taking responsibility, at least to a degree, and disclaimers aren't generally worth the paper they're written on anyway.

I'd call it a day, you have enough to be worrying about right now!