Little victories .... I think!

HeyMich

Visit site
So, the trailer was out and hitched up today (after OH used it to collect some much needed fencing over the weekend) so I thought I'd do some trailer training with the Stompy One. I remember watching a Warwick Schiller program about 'choose where you work, choose where you rest' so I thought it would be worth a try. (As a bit of background, she loads brilliantly, but stomps and fidgets as soon as she's on board, and always has done - fine in company, but gets the trailer rocking usually within 3 secs of being clipped on when she's by herself.)

I basically led the Stompy One around in circles, constantly getting her to move her feet, and then took her onto the trailer to rest. As soon as she started with the feet, I took her off and led her around and around again. The first few times, it was literally 5 secs before she was off again. It built up slowly, and after about an hour (it's OK, she's fit and hasn't been ridden properly for over a week) we had built up to 90 seconds!! Amazing! She even started calmly nibbling at her hay in the net on the box - something she never does - if she eats while travelling it's always really nervous and snatchy). That 90 seconds felt like an hour!! I was over the moon!

After 2 repeats of over 90 seconds in a row, I took her off again (before the stomping started) and turned her straight out into the field. She looked at me like I was a total nutter - having taken her on the most boring and annoying hack in history!

Anyway, just a pointless post really. I'll try again in a day or two, and see if we can build up more time again.

My goal is to be able to go to a show or PC rally with my kids, take their pony off the trailer and not expect her to get so anxious that she sweats up within a minute.

I'll let you know if today was a total fluke, or if this strange sorcery actually works... I'm ridiculously excited that it may actually fix the Stompy One and her fidgetyness!

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Brilliant time spent..I went to practise trailer reversing to find flat tyre so came home for coffee and cake to get over the disappointment!