Little xc schooling session with the midget highland - cc welcome...

JFTDWS

Visit site
Pfft. For the first minute or so of that video I was thinking that was *my* kind of cross country jumping. Then you started doing silly bigger stuff... :p

I love the terraced houses jump that was in the background!

Haha I was all for staying in that field when I got on him :eek: Then he pops them all like they're nothing (which they are, tbf :eek: ) and I thought i'd better man up to the job :cool:

Have a lovely shot of Angua2 over the mini-house... Fergs popped it a couple of times but not nice footage.

No CC from me, obvious reasons :wimp:

Love Fergs, he is so cute - looks like you're having lots of fun :)

You can't be a bigger wimp than me! He is cute, and for the first time out xc I really got the feeling he was enjoying himself too :D

Might be eyeing up the little HT there next weekend :eek:

Firewell

Visit site
He looks super neat over those fences! I think you need a bit more faith in yourself :D. As for giving with your hands, your better off keeping a contact at this stage over small fences then throwing it away anyway. As the jumps get bigger you follow through fine don't worry about it :).

JFTDWS

Visit site
JESUS what are you guys trying to do to me :eek: I whacked my stirrups up a hole and took him out for a fast(ish) hack this morning, spent a reasonable amount of time off his back... Got back, dismounted, thighs trembling, I am now crippled :eek: Not sure my body can take this :eek:

Aw he looks lovely!! What a good little pony!

Thanks, he is a good boy :)

He looks super neat over those fences! I think you need a bit more faith in yourself :D. As for giving with your hands, your better off keeping a contact at this stage over small fences then throwing it away anyway. As the jumps get bigger you follow through fine don't worry about it :).

He is quite tidy, really - he does his best :) I certainly need to ride with a bit more faith in myself - even if I'm just bluffing :D Thanks, I hate the thought of catching him, given than he's so honest, but at the same time now he's forward and confident enough, you're right - I don't want to throw the contact away any more either. :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
That's the sort of XC fence size I need!

Fergs looks lubberly.

I also feel your pain re the short stirrups. I was told to put mine up a few weeks ago and go everywhere in my two point seat. The pain is unbelievable. My knee especially is very angry!! :mad:

JFTDWS

Visit site
That's the sort of XC fence size I need!

Fergs looks lubberly.

I also feel your pain re the short stirrups. I was told to put mine up a few weeks ago and go everywhere in my two point seat. The pain is unbelievable. My knee especially is very angry!! :mad:

Haha you've been dragged down to my level!

I am actually crippled - my thighs are like fire and my right knee (******ed but not as badly as yours!) feels like I've put it in a blender :eek: Maybe it would be easier with a saddle where my knees aren't 6 inches over the front of the knee rolls though :eek:

No CC as i dont do XC but it looks mega fun :D

Can't beat a play round some little fences on a nice pony ;)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Re: stirrups - having jumped oh about 3 times in the last 12 months, I can honestly say I feel your pain. However, for maximum discomfort, please try jumping in Konigs and a dressage saddle!

Never. Again. Ever.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't have Konigs (sadly :p ) but I could put my xc stirrups on my dr saddle for amusement's sake - though I fear jumping that way might result in my imminent death :eek:

You're a braver woman than I to jump in a dr saddle!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Tell you what though, I had a very stable lower leg.

The fact that I couldn't physically move it, is besides the point ;)

sandi_84

Visit site
Aw Fergs is such a dude! I've never seen a video of him before but that really put a smile on my face, it looks like you both had such a great time! :D
I love a wee highland! I used to ride one and I'd love to own one in the future because they're such awesome ponys, full of character and willingness with a wee streak of cheeky humour that you can't help but love :D

Smith123

Visit site
He is super cute, only cc from me is you need to put your stirrups up and work on your balance. Don't worry about throwing your hands forward, the jumps are not big enough to worry about that yet. Look like you are having lots of fun!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Aw Fergs is such a dude! I've never seen a video of him before but that really put a smile on my face, it looks like you both had such a great time! :D
I love a wee highland! I used to ride one and I'd love to own one in the future because they're such awesome ponys, full of character and willingness with a wee streak of cheeky humour that you can't help but love :D

Thanks! He is a properly sweet little pony (I won't be saying that if I man up and HT him this weekend and he tries to kill me :p ). That's a great description of the breed - so much character, so willing and SO cheeky :D I love them :)

I love him. Totally adorable :)

Thanks, he is rather :p :D

Fergs is awesome! :D You both look like you are having a wonderful time!
And you have my full sympathy short stirrups but the pain is worth it! ;)

Thanks F_F! God, please tell me it gets better? I am actually crippled - driving home after a short hack in 2-point on my cob this morning trying to use the clutch on my landy was torture :eek: I can't live like this forever!

He is super cute, only cc from me is you need to put your stirrups up and work on your balance. Don't worry about throwing your hands forward, the jumps are not big enough to worry about that yet. Look like you are having lots of fun!

Thanks - I appreciate the cc, any tips on how to work on balance? I am the least balanced person ever - seriously, I can fall over standing still :eek: Which makes it miraculous I can ride without balancing on his mouth really :p

Kat

Visit site
Looking good!

All my cc has been said already so yo save myself some typing I will second lolo on the stirrups/2 point/saddle and firewell on the release.

Know how difficult it is when you have a straight cut saddle. If I want to jump my knees are in front if the knee rolls too, it puts me off a but tbh....... put me off even more when I needed twists to get my stirrups short enough! Thankfully OH has put me another 6holes in now so I don't have to do everything at dressage length. I suppose I could have bought shorter leathers but then I would have to swap leathers after he's ridden due to his crazy long lanky legs...... Good job he doesn't do jumping we'd never get a saddle to accommodate his knees!