liver worries

hihosilver

Visit site
I brought a lovely horse in April age 5. He developed a cough and was lethargic. The vet ran bloods which were not good, He had a raised WBC anaemia and very high liver enzymes (300). He so much better all clear except liver enzymes which are now 100. (normal 56) so still higher that the vet would like. I am feeding Milk thistle. Should I be worried? Liver function test was normal, The vet has suggested a repeat in 6 months time.

Any advice appreciated.:D

Montyforever

Visit site
I think its just a waiting game to be honest! My mare had a nasty impaction and when she was taken to the vets and bloods were run they came back with high liver enzymes. She was blood tested again the next day, a week later, then 2 weeks later. The liver enzymes were going down, and she was more herself and putting on weight etc so vet was happy with me just keeping an eye on her and watching out for any symptoms reappearing.
I don't know exact levels but it was roughly the same on the first 3 tests then after going onto the milk thistle they went down. Its tricky really you can't see what's going on you just have to rely on the bloods and physical symptoms!

hihosilver

Visit site
I think its just a waiting game to be honest! My mare had a nasty impaction and when she was taken to the vets and bloods were run they came back with high liver enzymes. She was blood tested again the next day, a week later, then 2 weeks later. The liver enzymes were going down, and she was more herself and putting on weight etc so vet was happy with me just keeping an eye on her and watching out for any symptoms reappearing.
I don't know exact levels but it was roughly the same on the first 3 tests then after going onto the milk thistle they went down. Its tricky really you can't see what's going on you just have to rely on the bloods and physical symptoms!

ok thank you it is a worry!

flintfootfilly

Visit site
Do ask for a copy of the full blood report for future reference. It will include the value for each thing, plus the reference range into which 90% of horses' results will fall.

Check what appears high/low and go from there.

I suspect the liver enzyme you are talking about is GGT, but there are several liver enzymes and indicators of liver function so it's worth being specific. If it is GGT, then it can take several months to return to normal even when the cause of the liver damage is removed.

Worth knowing whether the blood includes something called GLDH, which tends to react more quickly to the onset and removal of anything which is causing liver damage. If this is high, you know you have an ongoing liver insult and it's worth trying to find out what. If GLDH is normal then you know there is no current insult to the liver, so you are stuck with whatever damage has already been caused (which may or may not improve with time).

It's good that liver function indicators are OK. That means that despite cellular damage to the liver, it is continuing to work ok.

Sarah