Liverpool Horse Show Saturday night - any update?

Lammy

Visit site
Does anybody know if there's an update on the Swedish horse from last night? Ridden by Angelie Von Essen?, horse was a chestnut called Crush and had a horrific injury at the second to last fence.

Can't find any update anywhere and was wondering if anyone had heard? I don't think it's going to be a good outcome :(

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I was there and saw it, was sickening to watch but it was an accident - horse just misjudged the fence and ended up landing heavily with her fetlock bent the wrong way on her back leg.

The rider (who is only 18 bless her) dismounted immediately and hugged her horse and the team at Liverpool were quick to screen off the horse and acted very professionally. A horse trailer was brought in and we were told that the horse was taken to Leahurst. Sadly she has been put to the sleep.

It was expected, the horse looked like she had sustained a terrible injury. Was awful to watch, condolences to her rider and team :(

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
I was there and the accident happened side on to where we sat so it was pretty horrible to watch. Horse came in too fast to an oxer and totally misjudged the stride. Back legs went out the back. We were unfortunate enough to be very close and side on to the affected leg.

I believe it didn't make it to leahurst and was put to sleep at the venue. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to try and travel that anywhere. The rider looked absolutely distraught leaving the arena.

Such an awful incident in an otherwise superb show.

Lexi_

Visit site
I was there last night too - horrible, horrible accident but the team handled it incredibly professionally.

There's a statement up on the LIHS website.

Pippity

Visit site
Very sad didn’t something similar happen last year too, hope it doesn't put people off.

Something similar happened the first year LIHS ran, and ended with the horse being euthanised. I was on about the sixth row, thankfully on the opposite side of the arena, and it was horrific.

It does seem very unfortunate that something so similar has happened twice in such a short period of time.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Very sad didn’t something similar happen last year too, hope it doesn't put people off.

It did, and it did. (Year before last, I think?) My OH will never go and see that level of showjumping again, and I doubt if I will either. That accident was terrible to see and the misleading PR they put out about a bleeding injury was insulting, as the horse clearly had half a leg dangling free below the knee, but I could see no blood at all.

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
I was at Cardiff Arena when Express Eventing was launched and Mary King's horse Call Again Cavalier broke a leg.....horrendous..... I walked out immediately and would never go to watch anything like that again. Sadly tragedies like this do happen when horses are involved, but if they are indoors we are that much closer :( :(

HeresHoping

Visit site

Snowfilly

Visit site
Terrifying...fire in a stables really is the stuff of nightmares. So glad everyone is safe and some of the offers of help on facebook are lovely.

Puddleduck

Visit site
I was there this afternoon shopping and was due to go to the evening show. Got back to the arena at 6pm but was turned back as the area was evacuated. Smoke was pouring out of the car park and there were loud bangs from cars exploding. We were told to wait for an announcement as to whether the show was cancelled so stood under cover by the Albert dock and watched as more fire engines arrived.
It started with a single vehicle on the third floor and spread really quickly.
The horses were all evacuated as soon as the fire started and held safely in the arena. People from around the area are offering up free Stables and boxes to transport them and Aintree racecourse have opened to take horses in.
We left at about 7.30 when the show was officially cancelled. The fire was raging out of control by that stage with more explosions as the cars on the upper floors caught.