liverpool treatment how bad will it get

maggiehorse

Visit site
hi, i,m having my tb gelding treated next week with the liverpool cream for a single largish sarcoid the size of a large grape on the side of his sheath , hes having 3 treatments over 5 days. my question is how sore will he get? , will he be able to be ridden? and how effective is this treatment? thanks in advance for any replies

Borderreiver

Visit site
I can't answer your question but just wanted to mention that my pony has been in this week to have a similar sarcoid lasered. This seemed the best option to me and was done in a couple of hours, pony home and fine, maybe an option for yours?

Queenbee

Visit site
With respect fides, I've rubber banded two sarcoids in this area on mares, with no recurrence, however, there are many different types of sarcoids and this should only ever be recommended for a sarcoid which is in essence, a floating lump under the skin, unattached to the actual body of the horse. Telling someone to do this on a sarcoid that you haven't seen, no matter how well meant may have very dire consequences, if the vet didn't recommend this course of action, which they will do if it's appropriate, then we can assume it's not a suitable removal method for this sarcoid.

Queenbee

Visit site
I can't answer your question but just wanted to mention that my pony has been in this week to have a similar sarcoid lasered. This seemed the best option to me and was done in a couple of hours, pony home and fine, maybe an option for yours?
I've been really impressed with the recent literature and results from this process, would be interesting to hear how your pony heals etc... Keep us posted pls :)

HelenS

Visit site
I think different horses react in different ways. My young gelding is about to start the Liverpool Cream treatment as well. His mother had the same treatment when she was the same age as him and it was very successful, but there was a lot of pain and swelling, and so I've been dreading putting my youngster through it because he has more sarcoids than she had. His mother had them around her udder and inner thigh. He has them on his chest, forelegs, inner thigh, sheath and neck.

I have had one banded last week and it fell off this morning leaving a substantial open wound, which bearing in mind was in the crease between his foreleg and torso (basically in his armpit), was expected. The wound is not giving him any trouble although he didn't like the banded sarcoid touched.

After using Bloodroot cream (Sarc-off) from my vet, I did band one on his sheath. It came off but there is some residual sarcoid left and that needs treating.

I've tried homeopathy, toothpaste, cold sore cream.... anything to avoid having to go down the ultimate route with the Liverpool Cream.

The vet will give you painkiller for your horse I should think. Whilst the first treatment may be tolerated by your horse you may find he will object to subsequent applications of the cream, and he may have to be sedated. I'm expecting this to happen, in fact I am wondering whether my horse may be an in-patient at the vet as he has about 12 to 15 that need treatment.

When the sarcoid comes off it leaves an open wound, and it can all look very dramatic, but is normal.

This is only my experience, and as I said at the beginning each horse is an individual and can react differently. Some seem to fly through it without a problem, others get very sore and resentful (a few friends have had it done to their horses as well). But forwarned is forarmed.

Good luck. Sarcoids are a real pain.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lasering can make a spectacular mess but they heal well and it leaves very little scarring .
Liverpool cream it's really not too awful but sometimes it swells a lot at first .
All these treatments leave a messy hole to some extent they would not work otherwise .
Best to get them sorted before spring nows a good time .

maggiehorse

Visit site
thanks everyone ,my vet seems to think the liverpool cream is the best option for danny but each sarcoid is different and theres no gaurantees it will work , my vet has given me a good price so i,m keeping my fingers crossed it is succesfull

TarrSteps

Visit site
Lasering can make a spectacular mess but they heal well and it leaves very little scarring .
Liverpool cream it's really not too awful but sometimes it swells a lot at first .
All these treatments leave a messy hole to some extent they would not work otherwise .
Best to get them sorted before spring nows a good time .

Regarding how it affects behaviour though, I've found it variable and not necessarily related to how extreme the treatment actually looks. I've seen some horses stay cheery and happy to work right through quite extreme procedures, others get sore/anxious/grumpy and really, it's not worth working them as it's not doing anyone any good. Pain relief will probably help most horses in that situation but I think owners need to be flexible and keep their eye on the ultimate goal, which is successful treatment, even if means work needs to take a back seat for a bit.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I certainly needed to rest J after his lasering but it was an difficult part surgery part lasering approach ( long story ) and he had dressings stitched to him after to cover the wound
He needed danilon and therefore gastroguard for two weeks and antibiotics for longer , but his was not a straightforward issue .
Fatty has nodular sarcoids and we treat him about once a year aiming to get to any while the are really small .
He is back to work in about a week to ten days ( wirh some pain relief if I feel he needs it ) .
It amazes me how little pain horses seem to feel from wounds that would be extremely painful for a human .

pinklilly

Visit site
My tb had 2 rounds of liverpool cream applied for nodular and verucous (sp) sarcoids, only 2 were treated twice. He had a bit of swelling but didn't seem to bother him and just gave him some danilon for this. Mine wasn't in work as 2 of the nodular sarcoids were on the girth and I was told not to rug because of the location and I was told to keep him on his own away from other horses for 24 hours in case they got the liverpool cream on them. He's been clear for a year and a half.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I used the Liverpool treatment in the original trial stages, around 14 years ago or so. Her photos are probably still available as used as part of the licencing. From what I can remember I carried on as normal with my pony. She had to be sedated to have the cream applied. They did look awful and raw, but within a weeks they were gone. She had 3-4 treated, only one left a noticeable scar of about 1 inch. Though the hair has completely grown back so not an issue.
My second horse also had to be treated, though as not so big used a different cream. Very red, like a herbal cream. Worked extremely well but was very messy to apply.
Good luck!

Scatterbrain

Visit site
One of my horses had a verrucous sarcoid in him armpit area. It was treated with 2 different strengths of Liverpool cream over 5 days and he was neither up nor down with it and the vet had no problem applying it. It swelled a bit and fell off a few weeks later, but unfortunately grew back again within a few months. So the treatment was repeated and this time his reaction was awful. It was clearly very painful, grew to the size of a tangerine and he was lame on that leg, despite being on bute. Again it did fall off approx 10 weeks later, but grew again within a few months.
I then tried Newmarket Bloodroot cream (£34 purchased from the internet) and cautiously report, it's gone. That was 2 years ago. He has been left with a scar there, but touch wood, no sign of the sarcoid returning. Perhaps the first 2 doses of Liverpool treatment served some purpose in erradicating it, but I certainly needed the course of bloodroot on top to finally nail it (frantically touching wood it doesn't raise it's ugly head again!).
Wishing you every success with the Liverpool cream. Prof Knotty is the world's leading expert on sarcoids and is highly respected.

Achinghips

Visit site
Mine had exactly the same on sheath and I used Liverpool cream. Absolutely marvellous. It formed a crust which stayed on for about two months and when it came off took the lump away, leaving beautiful smooth skin underneath, which grew hair really quick, same colour as rest of sheath hair. Lad didn't even notice. Impossible to see it was ever there :). The cost was minimal too :)

JoClark

Visit site
Liverpool cream is very painful, especially on the sheath as the swelling will make urinating uncomfortable, I would advise getting global herbs restore (liquid) and use that along side, liverpool cream will take it out of them a bit so a liver tonic pick me up will be helpful.

Good luck :)

maggiehorse

Visit site
Liverpool cream is very painful, especially on the sheath as the swelling will make urinating uncomfortable, I would advise getting global herbs restore (liquid) and use that along side, liverpool cream will take it out of them a bit so a liver tonic pick me up will be helpful.

Good luck :)

thats what i,m worried about, the swelling and general discomfort , i,ll look into restore

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine had an occult sarcoid on the side of his sheath treated with 3 applications of full strength cream. After the first application, it swelled up to about golf ball size within an hour and was probably the size of an apple after a couple of hours. Vet told me to expect swelling and possible soreness, so I should give him 2x Danilon per day (1 in morning, 1 in eve) for 5 days and turn out. Turned out over night, next morning the swelling was completely gone and he was never sore to touch on it at all. Progression was exactly textbook, vet was delighted and sarcoid has (touch wood) never returned.