LIVERY HELP NEEDED

Visit site
Looking for some advice here. I have recently bought a new horse and shes stabled quite close to home. I live in the Birmingham area. The yard I am at is charging me £250 a month and that's just basic livery prices but it includes my hay. No bedding turnout or feeding. There is 4 very small winter fields for turnouts 2 of which are always full with one horse in each who belong to the yard managers friends and they always seem to be out. That leaves 2 spare fields and my horse doesn't get on with other horses so when i put her out this morning someone has come and brought her in as they wanted their horse out for the day? Not only now will she get stressed and walk round her stable ruining the entire bedding but it leaves her really fresh and frisky when riding later? It's totally unfair as its only October and they've already gone into winter turnout fields. I'm only 17 and work full time to pay for my horse and so i go up before work at 7am and then cant get there till after 5pm when i finish also leaving her all day with no net as she usually finishes her morning net by lunchtime and nobody else will throw her another net in as this is then classed as assisted DIY. I was just wondering is this quite expensive for what I am getting? What would you do?

Any help is really appreciated right now.

9tails

Visit site
What does she do when out with others?

I don't think this is the right yard for you, there's not enough turnout nor any procedures in place to integrate a new horse.

Sail_away

Visit site
Regarding prices, I’m not in that area but it doesn’t seem completely unreasonable if she’s near a city. That would be about average where my horse is for diy and hay. There was a recent thread about livery prices though and lots of people were paying far less so it’s worth looking around.
I’d be concerned about someone bringing your horse in without your permission though. Although it’s your horse causing the issue if it doesn’t play nice with other horses, I’d expect that to be sorted out before with specific times the horse can go out. Certainly I wouldn’t like another livery chucking my horse in its stable without enough hay to make room for theirs.
It doesn’t sound like she’s happy, obviously it’s early days and she may just need to settle but if there’s a place you can get to with more turnout then I’d be looking at moving.

Visit site
What does she do when out with others?

I don't think this is the right yard for you, there's not enough turnout nor any procedures in place to integrate a new horse.

She doesnt mind being out over night alone and shes no trouble out alone at all but the yard owner wont allow it. Also shes not the problem its all the other horses bullying her they chase her off bite her kick her and its just not fair. Im not near the city really more towards the outskirts but even so. Shes happy there and she does settle in the field with this one other horse but due to room if someone else wants their horse out they just throw mine back in and then when i get up at 5pm half her bed is eaten and she gets really fresh.

ihatework

Visit site
If you were to compare the price you pay for what many others pay then you would probably find its in the higher price bracket.

BUT

This isn’t really about price, it might be a small factor, but in reality it’s about the facilities and yard management - which sound unsuitable for your needs.

So what you need to look for is somewhere with adequate turnout and management in place to deal with working owner DIYs and if you can’t find that some sort of part/assisted livery might be needed.

be positive

Visit site
She doesnt mind being out over night alone and shes no trouble out alone at all but the yard owner wont allow it. Also shes not the problem its all the other horses bullying her they chase her off bite her kick her and its just not fair. Im not near the city really more towards the outskirts but even so. Shes happy there and she does settle in the field with this one other horse but due to room if someone else wants their horse out they just throw mine back in and then when i get up at 5pm half her bed is eaten and she gets really fresh.

It sounds to me as if the YO and other liveries are not helping her integrate and are treating you as the newcomer, your age will not help, that has to fit in with their ways and put up with it, this has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with being a decent yard, or not, in this case you probably need to move elsewhere or it will continue unless you are tough enough to stand up to them which will probably mean you moving on anyway, places like this rarely change, there are better ones if you look.

D66

Visit site
I think you are being pushed around because you are young. You need to stand up for yourself, and ask the other liveries why they put your horse back in the stable when she is entitled to turnout the same as the others. It might work or you may have to move anyway - to somewhere with nicer YO and liveries.

eta cross posted with BP.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would move her to a nicer yard with sensible rules in place...i would be very angry if my horse was bought in without my permission just so someone else could put their horse out for the day. it would be worth the extra travelling time if she could be out for a reasonable time, even if she was onlyout either am or pm you could turn out before work and leave plenty of hay if she had to come in at lunchtime...start looking to see what is out there...