Livery in Pirbright/Worplesdon/Bisley/Brookwood/West End etc

Ainoga

Visit site
Hello!

I'm moving house this week to Pirbright but my horse is currently stabled in Chertsey, with a round trip of 35 miles. Its a fantastic place but I think the time and expense (petrol) will become too much before long.

However I can't seem to find many DIY assisted yards in the area?? I've tried Little Bridley (concerned over security/road), Bridley Manor (too expensive), Hill Place Farm (grass livery), Clasford Stables (full), Berrylands (full), Mazamboni (full), Victoria Farm (full/part livery), Glen Dell (grass/part)...

Can anyone recommend anywhere else please? Ideally with a space...? But just happy to have my name down on somewhere else...

I'm looking for assisted DIY, good hacking (minimal roadwork), school (although not essential), all year turnout...

Many thanks in advance,
Lauren

Chester15

Visit site
I hope you don't mind, I am going to follow this with interest as I have been looking for the same for months. Fenns was full up when I spoke to them and Halebourne, well I did have my horse there (past tense and wouldn't go back) and my friend lasted only 3 months there before leaving there just before Christmas. I am at a lovely yard in Chobham by Fairoaks Airport, it is pretty strict but is v nice as a result. It has limited assistance and we help each other out if the assistance is not avaialbe. How much help do you need - we do have 1 stable available. I could ask YO if you thought it suitable

Ainoga

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

I'll see if I can contact someone at Littlefield tomorrow to get some more details.

Kaluki - a friend has recommended Fenns Farm but I can't seem to find any contact details...? Hmmmm Halebourne Stables - if that is Higher Park Farm then I was there some time ago and wouldn't choose to go back....

I'm going to head over to Chobham Rider tomorrow so perhaps something else may come up.

Chester - ooooh thanks! I'm looking for daily morning feed and turnout (with weekend cover if required) and occasional bring in/muck out if we're going out or away... What do you think? Is this too much? I'm very normal (!), I keep myself to myself and my horse is lovely and no trouble at all. Thanks again.

kaluki

Visit site
if your going to chobham rider, go to buttons, if you go pass with buttons on the right, go down to roundabout, turn right at roundabout, then first left, then first right,( you wont get out of 2nd gear they are in quick concession), this is fenns lane, take adrive and pop in, you can only ask!

Testy

Visit site
How about Billz Equestrian-used to be willow farm? I'm at Bridley Manor and it works out no more expensive than Fenns or Mazamboni, but then I need every day turn out/bring in

Chester15

Visit site
Halebourne isn't Higher Park Farm, it is the next road along, the road with the yellow bollards at the top. Think it's called Hookstone Lane.

Morning feed is not a problem, the first person on the yard is expected to feed everyone. Morning turn out, not usually a problem as the ladies who offer the assistance (mother and daughter) are usually there every day to do their horse anyway. Weekends is a bit more hit and miss as they like their weekends off so often not available especially in the afternoons but we all tend to muck in to help each other. Full/day cover isn't usually a problem either, and the ladies who do the assistance are also happy to provide weekend cover if people are away. If they go away however there is no cover. It is proper DIY but we all help each other out where needed. The YO does not advertise but fills the stables by word of mouth so everyone is pretty nice as she hand picks who she has. She'd rather leave a box empty than take someone she didn't like! I came from assisted DIY where I had help every day into this yard as my last yard closed down and although it has less help that I ideally need, it works out fine most of the time and my horse is really happy there.

Ainoga

Visit site
Thanks Testy - I really do like Bridley Manor but its just such a big jump from what I pay at the moment.

Billz - I'll call them later on my way home from work. I've tried Mazamboni as they are very local to me but unfortunately they will no longer be taking on any DIY assisted liveries.

Thanks Chester - I'm not sure though, I'd like to know that there is always someone to asisst, should I need help. I've always been on a larger yard and am used to having 'official' help of sorts, so I think I'd become a bit stressy... Thanks so much though.

Testy

Visit site
I hope Billz have something for you-I used to have lessons from her years ago and would definitely recommend. Other than that I don't really have any ideas, I had exactly this problem last year so I feel your pain!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
[Content removed] UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT [Content removed]

Def under new management?

The last lot of liveries had very short notice to all go just a week before xmas :mad3:

Apologies if that wasn't you, but I helped in picking up the pieces of a couple, it wasn't a nice thing to happen especially as some had only recently moved in there in the previous 6 weeks :(

woodlands

New User
Visit site
Def under new management?

The last lot of liveries had very short notice to all go just a week before xmas :mad3:

Apologies if that wasn't you, but I helped in picking up the pieces of a couple, it wasn't a nice thing to happen especially as some had only recently moved in there in the previous 6 weeks :(

[Content removed]

Hi,

Just to confirm we are definitely the new operators of Woodlands Livery.

The previous tenant was Gillian Welsh with whom we spoke with only once who also decided that she did not want to speak with
us regarding the continuation of any livery services for her own horses. I did not quote any rates nor did I actually meet the lady.
Gillian moved out within 10 days or so of speaking with us and told all the other livery's that they had to leave.
We only had the opportunity of speaking with one of the existing livery's who is returning to the yard at the end of this month.

[Content removed]

Please let anyone you know who were previous livery's of Woodlands that we are very happy to speak them and also let them know that any instructions for them to leave
were entirely the decision of Gillian or the Landlord. [Content removed]

Thank you for getting in touch.

Regards

John

Last edited by a moderator:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up. It was utter madness when they were all told to leave with 4 days notice or so, even more so the exodus on the Friday afternoon the week before xmas, which was when I got called in to pick up a friends horse to find boxes & distressed horses/ponies on the yards :(

Edited to add: most were DIY's paying for services on occasions, that was the main reason they all had to go, as the new renters were not doing DIY at all. Hey-ho, its all done now tho, good luck in your new venture :)

Last edited:

woodlands

New User
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up. It was utter madness when they were all told to leave with 4 days notice or so, even more so the exodus on the Friday afternoon the week before xmas, which was when I got called in to pick up a friends horse to find boxes & distressed horses/ponies on the yards :(

Edited to add: most were DIY's paying for services on occasions, that was the main reason they all had to go, as the new renters were not doing DIY at all. Hey-ho, its all done now tho, good luck in your new venture :)

Just to clarify the position regarding DIY at Woodlands. We made it clear to Gillian that no-one was expected to leave regardless of the service level they were on.

The information delivered to the DIY clients (in fact all existing livery's) by Gillian was something she had made up herself and was nothing to do with the reality of the situation and certainly did not

reflect the conversation I had with her regarding the future of the yard.

Gillian was categorically told that no-one was expected to leave and we would be discussing options etc with everyone in the first instance.

This is in no way a jibe at you, because of course you were nothing to do with any part of the story other than to help some of the people at a time of need, however I feel it is important for others

reading this post to know and understand the reality and truth surrounding the not so mysterious mass exodus from Woodlands.

Best Regards

John

Tigsy

New User
Visit site
Just to clarify the position regarding DIY at Woodlands. We made it clear to Gillian that no-one was expected to leave regardless of the service level they were on.

The information delivered to the DIY clients (in fact all existing livery's) by Gillian was something she had made up herself and was nothing to do with the reality of the situation and certainly did not

reflect the conversation I had with her regarding the future of the yard.

Gillian was categorically told that no-one was expected to leave and we would be discussing options etc with everyone in the first instance.

This is in no way a jibe at you, because of course you were nothing to do with any part of the story other than to help some of the people at a time of need, however I feel it is important for others

reading this post to know and understand the reality and truth surrounding the not so mysterious mass exodus from Woodlands.

Best Regards

John

If that is the case then that is a real shame. I was one of the liveries who had to find alternative stabling for my horses the week before Christmas and arrived to find the entire yard moving out under police presence. It was an extremely stressful time.

woodlands

New User
Visit site
If that is the case then that is a real shame. I was one of the liveries who had to find alternative stabling for my horses the week before Christmas and arrived to find the entire yard moving out under police presence. It was an extremely stressful time.

I am sorry for the way you had to leave. I can tell you that Gillian was given 2 months notice which was not due to expire until the 8th February 2015.

Our contract for the yard, albeit brought forward now, was to start from the 8th February 2015. It was Gillian's choice to move out as quickly as she did and it

was also her choice not to advise her livery clients' of their options.

The police presence was requested because the exit from the yard was not done with any notice to the landlord and my understanding is that the Landlord has Fire Arms Certificate and some

indication was given to the police that there may be trouble. The police presence was as much of a shock to the Landlord as anyone else.

I cannot speak for either Gillian or the landlord as to the specifics of the conversations between them which led to the prompt move out. However, I know that the landlord

gave appropriate notice (60 days) to Gillian and invited her, as I did, to discuss an on-going arrangement; even if it was a short-term one.

I don't want this post to turn into any kind of character assassination but I need to make sure that people understand that appropriate notice was given to Gillian and more importantly our

involvement came about as a result of the Landlords desire to change his tenant for his own reasons.

Tigsy

New User
Visit site
I am sorry for the way you had to leave. I can tell you that Gillian was given 2 months notice which was not due to expire until the 8th February 2015.

Our contract for the yard, albeit brought forward now, was to start from the 8th February 2015. It was Gillian's choice to move out as quickly as she did and it

was also her choice not to advise her livery clients' of their options.

The police presence was requested because the exit from the yard was not done with any notice to the landlord and my understanding is that the Landlord has Fire Arms Certificate and some

indication was given to the police that there may be trouble. The police presence was as much of a shock to the Landlord as anyone else.

I cannot speak for either Gillian or the landlord as to the specifics of the conversations between them which led to the prompt move out. However, I know that the landlord

gave appropriate notice (60 days) to Gillian and invited her, as I did, to discuss an on-going arrangement; even if it was a short-term one.

I don't want this post to turn into any kind of character assassination but I need to make sure that people understand that appropriate notice was given to Gillian and more importantly our

involvement came about as a result of the Landlords desire to change his tenant for his own reasons.

The landlord was/is perfectly entitled to change his tenancy agreement and I don't know all the ins and outs, I only know what we were told, I have no idea how close that version was to the truth as generally people will tell you what they want to. Good luck with the new yard, it is a lovely location and set up and we were happy there, was a massive shame it only lasted 6 weeks and I gave up my own leased yard to move there. All the best.