Livery or at Home (Bedale, N. Yorks area) - Help, advice etc

wil24702

Visit site
Hi, thank you all in advance for any advice.

Last June I lost my first horse, an ex racer that I had owned for ten years. To cut a long story short following his death, approx 6 weeks later, I decided man up and try to move on and purchased a horse fresh from Ireland. Cue a loon smashing fences, running at cars, bronching one off before even making it on his back he was sold to an event rider and my confidence left in pieces.

Cookies if this far!
I have since had some lessons which have massively helped and am now looking for another horse.
Situation is this - I work full time and have at least a 40min commute each way. I have two non ridden horses that live out 24/7, one was companion to tb and the other is now companion to the companion. They are happy and settled.
I have two stables and plenty of turnout though only two acres near the stables which is generally not used through winter.

What do I do with the new horse - I have no school at home and there isnt many places to hack in the winter due to muddy fields and dark nights.

Do i purchase and build and extra stable, pay someone to help out and try and trailer to lessons or an arena where possible?

Put new horse on full livery mon - fri locally where I can enjoy riding all year round. (any recommendations for yards within 10 mins of Bedale would be greatly appreciated, I live next door to Camp Hill and would love to know if they offered livery)

Throw them all out 24/7 and hope for the best?

Hope this makes sense!

be positive

Visit site
The sensible option is to keep the new horse on livery until next spring, that way you get support with the horse, somewhere to school, people to hack with etc, once you are over the teething problems and well established having got through the first and frequently testing winter, think of taking him home to live out for the summer, keep your options open as to whether you go back on livery for the winter or manage at home.