Livery or own place?

AlDestoor

Visit site
Hi, I’m in a fortunate position where I have my own land. I have 3 stables, a tack room, electric and water, field shelters and 16 acres. It’s within hacking distance of a school which does clinics (I don’t use one anyway) and hacking distance to off road hacking- I also have the option to hire a horsebox to go further afield. The only downside is that it’s half an hour away as me and my partner moved to be closer to his family, so an hour round trip. My mum does live on site but is terrified of animals. It’s also hard work to manage the fencing etc. I was also lonely.

I’m currently on a yard that’s 5 mins away from my house and I never seem to be happy. First yard, horse had allergies and they were kept in in winter. Second yard, field full of ragwort. I’m about to go onto my third where I’ll have my own paddock to manage but I’m wondering if I just stop trying to find a perfect livery and move back home?

If I did this, I would look to get 1-2 liveries as all I have is 1 horse and get the relevant insurance. I would also look to get some help in the morning in winter (paid groom etc) and pay our local farmer to help with maintenance. It’s just the drive that gets me. My stepdad is also very awkward sometimes so I would make it clear that the yard would be mine to manage- I don’t think this would be a problem to be honest as I think they’re overwhelmed.

Im just wondering, what would you do?

Green Bean

Visit site
If you are going to bring in other liveries, it would be tempting, but will you have the time for maintenance? If you lived on site and worked from home then it is doable. I would love to be in that situation as I think we all have specific requirements that don't always align with livery yards. It is hard work and you are tied to the property unless one of your liveries is amenable and could cover for you if you ever wanted to go on holiday. Good luck with your decision!

L&M

Visit site
Hmmm a toughie - tbh I would always say be the master of your own destiny ie have them at home, so that you don't have to be dependant on someone else's rules and facilities.

However when you factor in a 30 min drive, and the hassle that 'can' come with liveries (been there, done it, never again!), I am not so sure.

Personally I would give yard 3 a chance before making any decisions.

Last edited:

AlDestoor

Visit site
Yes this is why I would want a groom. My mum can do basic care if I ever wanted to go away etc.
I do work from home but at my own property. I was thinking about maintenance in terms of compressed hours and doing maintenance on a Friday. Alternatively, as mentioned, we have a good relationship with our local farmer so would pay him to do maintenance.

Im just after a basic yard that has all year turnout, safe fields, stable and good hacking- I never use a school but I just can’t seem to find one. My own place is perfect except for the drive.

AlDestoor

Visit site
Hmmm a toughie - tbh I would always say be the master of your own destiny ie have them at home, so that you don't have to be dependant on someone else's rules and facilities.

However when you factor in a 30 min drive, and the hassle that 'can' come with liveries (been there, done it, never again!), I am not so sure.

Personally I would give yard 3 a chance before making any decisions.

this is what my partner thinks and if this doesn’t work, then go home.

L&M

Visit site
Yes this is why I would want a groom. My mum can do basic care if I ever wanted to go away etc.
I do work from home but at my own property. I was thinking about maintenance in terms of compressed hours and doing maintenance on a Friday. Alternatively, as mentioned, we have a good relationship with our local farmer so would pay him to do maintenance.

Im just after a basic yard that has all year turnout, safe fields, stable and good hacking- I never use a school but I just can’t seem to find one. My own place is perfect except for the drive.

1/2 liveries would not give you enough profit to pay for help and farmers bills, maybe a companion for yours would be a better option?

At the most I had 6 on diy livery and that only just about covered the upkeep of my own 2........full liveries would make it more profitable but as you have to factor in you don't live on site and working elsewhere, not sure how viable that would be either?

Having one day a week aside for maintenance is a good idea but what about what you can't plan for, such as a livery breaking fencing on a tuesday, wanting it fixed asap, but you can't do it until the Friday?

Not wanting to put you off but having liveries is a big commitment and even with DIY and living on site, there was always one problem after another that needed dealing with......

Last edited:

AlDestoor

Visit site
1/2 liveries would not give you enough profit to pay for help and farmers bills, maybe a companion for yours would be a better option?

At the most I had 6 on diy livery and that only just about covered the upkeep of my own 2........full liveries would make it more profitable but as you have to factor in you don't live on site and working elsewhere, not sure how viable that would be either?

im not looking for liveries for profit- it’s company mainly. I have a well paid job that can support maintenance etc.

AlDestoor

Visit site

another thing I’ve thought about is that I can work from anywhere so I could work from my mums house in the day.

Hepsibah

Visit site
You know what you want to do already. If money isn't the issue here, (fuel costs would be something I had to consider) then go home. You already have your ducks in a row and you enjoy it there. Why wait?

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
another thing I’ve thought about is that I can work from anywhere so I could work from my mums house in the day.
I was going to suggest this as a possible option, so the journey effectively becomes your commute.
You'll have to decide how much flexibility is in your job to effectively oversee the yard at the same time, but you'll already considering getting a paid groom to help.
I'd be tempted to see how you get on at yard 3, with your home yard as the back up / future plan.