Livery politics

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Soapbox moment……

I really cant stand people that don’t ride their horses without good reason… there is a livery at my yard who must ride once or twice a week at most, and the rest of the time her horses are stood in because she cant be bothered to turn out and bring in – and she says they will go mad and fencewalk. She then gets the horses out and only walks on them as she claims that they buck – the horses are getting a bad reputation now and it is really not their fault, its no wonder they are naughty if they are stuck in all day.

Is it me or is it just damn cruel? Any advice on how to deal without looking like an nosey old bat!

You wouldn’t treat a gerbil like it, let alone a horse….and because they are in their beds are gross, not deep enough and stink!

Before I make her sound like a complete witch I must say that they are healthy, just not very happy….

But could someone please tell me the point of having 2 perfectly good horses which others would die to own if you are not going to even bother with them?

GRRRRRRR

jacks_mum

Visit site
I have two horses. The mini shetland won't let me get on her - I tried but ended up eating aubiose!

My big boy gets ridden when I have the energy - I have M.E - so he is not ridden regularly and his work load varies depending on my health. If I am feeling good he will be ridden nearly every day, currently I am not good and have not ridden for two weeks, however they are both out all day every day and don't seem too worried about their irregular exercise 'regimes'.

So I can and will defend the riding aspect but the turn out, I think they should be out as much as possible. she will probably find that if she turns them out more frequently they will be less hyper to ride and she will get more enjoyment out of them and ride more - the vicious circle works both ways!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I really cant stand people that don’t ride their horses without good reason

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not - surely it's up to them????? I don't compete - does that put me in that bracket.

As for the other nonsense. It's none of your business and hopefully your YO is ensuring that the welfare of these horses is ok. If not report him and the stupid woman to the relevant authorities for neglect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
OK...everyones getting mad now - I meant keeping the horses in...all of my old ponies are in the field and vvvvvv happy, but keeping a working animal in its box for days on end with no reason?

I meant don't ride their horses - as in the horses never see a saddle! My mum doesnt compete but still rides/lunges...

Ahhhh maybe I should have re-phrased it?

The YO thinks the same but gets ignored when she tackles the situation....

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ahh, make a little more sense now.

[ QUOTE ]
The YO thinks the same but gets ignored when she tackles the situation....

[/ QUOTE ]

Report them all to the ILPH - that should put a rocket up YO and horse owners arses
shocked.gif

katelarge

Visit site
I can only ride one day a week at the moment - not by choice, but because I have no regular transport as yet to his new home! My horse does, though, get turned out as much as is humanly possible.

I was happy with this arrangement for a good while, as it let him have a few months holiday, as we both came from a yard where we were really stressed and both needed a break. However, now he needs more work than I can give him so I am having to take on a second job and start to pay a rider to work him for me.

filly190

Visit site
It sounds to me like this person is nervous and frightened, if you say she only walks in case they buck.

I think she is then afraid of turning them out, because when she does they go spanners and she thinks accident and you also mentioned she does not like them to pace.

I think a little help and support from everyone in the yard to re-educate her, get her to understand the horses need turn out and will get used to it. Tell her it will cool them down for when she rides. You could always point her in the direction of a good instructor where she can "open up" about her problems and its away from the yard.

Sometimes people let a situation occur, like she has and then dont ask for help etc. If she is keeping them well, she obviously cares.

I think by giving her a hard time in the yard would be more damaging because she'll just leave and the horses may end up a yard where neglect could set in.

If you can, forget the person and think of the horses, if they are as nice as you say, perhaps she would be grateful to let someone else ride and enjoy them. I would be more inclined to help the horses.

It sounds like this girl's initial intentions are good, she's just got her self in a rut and needs digging out.

Salcey

Visit site
I tend to agree with filly190 it does sound like the owner is nervous fo what her horses might do. I agree that every horse should be out as long as possible. Maybe someone needs to try to get alongside her, or offer to turnout for her

Capriole

Visit site
theres a horse at my new yard that hasnt been visited since the day he went out in april, another livery has seen her one time in four years, and in that time the farrier has never been near the beast