Livery tack rooms

Does your yard have a tack room?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pookie

Visit site
Another thread has got me thinking about tack rooms and liveries being able to keep tack in them. Every yard I've been on has had a designated tack room with each livery assigned a space for their tack - I've never thought about yards that don't have that 'facility' and (if we relocate and I have to move yards) I've no idea where I'd keep all my tack if the only suitable yards in the area didn't have a tack room. How many people have access to that and how many have to take their tack home/keep in their car etc?

Capriole

Visit site
I voted yes, although my horses arent on a livery yard now and my tack is in the house, but in the past Ive never been on a yard without a designated tack room.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So tempted to put what's tack!!

One yard locally says you have to take tack home, what a drag!

All the yards I've been on have had tack rooms, most locked but with the key available as required.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I think where they dont a lot of the reason is down to two things, business insurance and business rates.

For the tack to be insurable there are all sorts of requirements about the security of the tack room, which means eg a wooden building, with windows and a simple padlock would certainly not be covered. Our old yard had a tackroom made out of a huge shipping container. No windows in the tack side of it (there was also a kitchen side) and both the tack room door and the door to the outside had both a locking door and a security full height and width security gate which were both padlocked.

On the business rates side any facilities are charged for, and often on a square foot basis. Unless the liveries are paying enough to cover the insurance, electric, business rates etc as well as a contrib towards putting up the facility, it may be easier for YOs to just tell people to bring the tack when they come up to the yard.

Angela_1987

Visit site
We have a tack room and a van where all the tack is taken to the yard owners home over night, due to a break in a year ago and everyones tack was taken. Some of the liveries also have tack safes in their stables. Not everyone would recommend it but we do have big stables.

mandwhy

Visit site
I'd pretty much always take it home, tack rooms never seem to be very secure! On grass at the mo and it is a pain carrying saddle around to and fro in car and keeping in spare room in our little flat! I haven't had to deal with rugs yet either, that's going to be a real pain :-(

Karran

Visit site
My yard just has a tack safe, that I share with another livery. Two other horses are semi-retired and the other just brings it with her.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Of the three yards I have been on
Yard 1 sheds which depending on size and luck were individual or shared with one or two people. These were for everything and DIYs were also expected to store feed and bedding here.
Yard 2 a lockable container for the whole yard for tack with other areas for feed
Yard 3 a room for each block of stables for tack but other areas for feed.

As I go to the yard by train and have sharers, I wouldn't consider a yard that didn't offer somewhere safe to keep tack.

Once was lost

Visit site
I voted yes as back when I had horses at Livery I always had a tack room, when I was at school and had pony on part livery I had a space in the full/part livery tack room and space for a lock box, when I then had my ponies on DIY at the same yard I had sort of walk in cupboards for tack and other equipment by my stables, on the next yard I had my own tack room/hay and straw store (I had my own as had 5 on DIY, those with one or two ponies had a shared space.
Bit different now as have loan pony on owners private yard, although she has one livery client, we all share one large lockable tack room, the livery has there own space for feed and bits and bobs but it's not lockable so anything of value goes in main tack room. My other pony is now at the riding school where I also work (freelance groom) and as that yard is riding school and working livery only tack is stored in one of two tack rooms, anything else belonging to owners either has to go on shelf space in break room or stay with owner so I guess it's a no to having your own tack space there, for example anything 'nice' for my pony who is there stays in the car to be used only by us as due to the nature of the yard things would get lost there.
I don't think I would think much of/go on a yard that didn't have tack room and space for a locked box for kit if I was paying for either Full/part or DIY. It just isn't practical to be keeping things in your car/lugging things backwards and forwards all the time.

monkeybum13

Visit site
We don't have a tack room, we have a large space that everyone has storage cupboards in so you can leave you tack in there if you wish and you are the only on with a key. I don't leave my saddle at the yard though, I take it home with me.

Kat

Visit site
Ours has two tackrooms, one for school horses and working liveries and the other for liveries. Both are within an alarmed building, you have to go through a locked door to get to them and the tack rooms themselves have separate locks on them. Most liveries use the tackroom which has room for saddle and bridle plus a locker.

I know that my horse insurance wouldn't cover my tack on the yard as it is a riding school so my tack isn't on my horse insurance, it is on my home insurance instead.

Celestica

Visit site
our tack room is just one (cold and dusty) room, there seems to only be enough racks for Liveries. School saddles are left on the floor :confused:. Your storage boxes are kept above the stabling (2 story barn) so the boxes aren't in the way. But to be honest, I won't leave my tack in the tack room as it all gets so dirty for some reason and I've seem people take others bridles without asking :(

evj

Visit site
We have a large shared tack room which is also the coffee room. It's liked with a combination lock that opens if you just fiddle with it and people are forever leaving the door open! I keep my saddle in my boot and my bridle/bits and pieces in a lock box.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Have always been on yard with tack rooms - would drive me bonkers to cart it around all the time as I don't decide what I'm doing with him until I get up to yard - lunge, long rein, ride in school, hack - and all require different equipment.

Our current tack room is double-locked and alarmed and inside each livery has a lockable, designated tack cupboard so all tack is hidden from view and behind three locked doors.

P

MollyMoomin

www.petandanimalfeeds.co.uk
There's no tack room on the yard where I am (full livery/no riding).

Suits me fine & not a hassle to cart it about (I wondered if it would be). My bridle, saddle cloth, gel pad & girth are in a box in Molly's stable but I take my saddle & double bridle home. (Double might end up staying on the yard before long, but we've only just 'moved up' in to it and I am still a bit precious and squeaky-excited about it. The novelty will wear off soon. ;) )

charleysummer

Visit site
I put no, as there is no 'tack room' . Each livery has a storage container that they put all their equipment in. Absolutely brilliant idea :) Mine is like a little house with furniture, a 'kitchen', tack section, rugs section etc.. very nicely organised ^^. Best arrangement I've ever come across

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Said yes, but actually not really, we have a yard with 3 horses and a tiny downstairs loo sized 'box' really for 3 lots of feed, tack etc :)

My rugs live in a big pile in there, along with my feed buckets, but my saddle lives on the back of my sofa and my bridle is hanging up in my living room :D

jenz87

Visit site
On our yard there is a tack room in YO house, which is available for training liveries. Part full liveries have to take tack home. You can leave tack on yard in feed room, but it is recommended not to.
Id rather take mine home, so many places get broken into even with all the security features, its not worth the risk IMO. Its not hard to put a saddle and bridle into the car :/

Mince Pie

Visit site
My yard has a tackroom like Fort Knox! First door has 2 alarmed padlocks along with proper security alarm, second door is solid steel and about 2 inches thick!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yard 1 had large tack room with each livery having two large chests for feed and 'stuff' plus overhead tack for rugs. Room also contained seating area with tea and coffee facilities. It was a barn with lockable door. However we wete not permitted to keep our tack there (or more importantly the saddle). This simply came home with me.

Yard two, similar facilities, however tack was secure in a brick, windowless lockup.

Janette

Visit site
No tack room, I get a pallet to keep my hay and bedding off the floor and space for my kit box and feed bins.

Saddle and bridle live in the garage at home.

LollyDolly

Visit site
Our yard has a large building with mounted saddle and bridle racks for the liveries to keep their tack, it also has a coded locking system so you need to know the code to unlock the door! ;)
We also have a designated feed room where we are all assigned our own vermin proof containers with our stable numbers on to store our feed.

We can also have our own lockers, I have mine right outside my stable which is where I choose to keep my tack! :D

emma.is

Visit site
My yard has individual tackrooms for each livery, it's up to you if you lock it or don't or keep nothing in it or your 5k saddle. We've never been broken into

Nollaig Shona

Visit site
Not at the yard I on these days, there is a tack room, but the liveries take their tack home!

Previously I was on a yard that had a big shed, one third was divided off for the staff's tack etc, and the other two thirds was for liveries and the riding school, liveries on one side, RS on the other.