Livery - what do I do now?!

chaps89

Visit site
I am so disappointed. We moved to a new yard at the weekend. I chose the yard solely on it being a 20acre field where they specifically don't put big bale hay out (very sensitive metabolic pony)
I got down today and they've put big bale hay out without telling me :( I'm not allowed to use one of the individual paddocks so my option is stable 24/7.
I still have my old yard paid for so can go back there but the reason for moving is mare is unsound and needed turning away and that yard wasn't suitable for that.
I'm honestly on the edge of pts now rather than wait to see if turn away helps, it's been so stressful trying to find a yard that can accommodate both her fence jumping habits and her metabolic issues.
I don't know what to do anymore. Sorry, pointless post really. Just sat in my car, trying to hold it together and failing

HorseyTee

Visit site
Oh no. Why did they say they don't put out hay then they did?
I assume you'd have mentioned reasons for needing to move and her issues so it's annoying they've suddenly changed what they said without telling you.

Hoping you can work something out.

Esyllt

Visit site
Oh bless you, that is really poor form! Have they given you an explanation as to why they said one thing and did another? Especially as they were most likely aware of your battles? Hope you can work something out, and not the outcome you fear you are looking at

Arzada

Visit site
Have you had a chance to ask why the big bale is out? If it's just temporary due to the current extreme weather and you believe this to be true then perhaps stay until the bale is finished and your horse can go out. Otherwise I'd return to the old yard asap, regroup and find somewhere else. I really feel for you. It's deeply upsetting.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
As above, maybe they've popped it out because of the extreme weather? I wouldn't normally put hay in the field (and also we're not allowed) but I would have done this week if we were allowed.

I'd definitely talk to them, either way it's not on to do one thing when they have promised you another, especially when it's a welfare issue.

Chianti

Visit site
I am so disappointed. We moved to a new yard at the weekend. I chose the yard solely on it being a 20acre field where they specifically don't put big bale hay out (very sensitive metabolic pony)
I got down today and they've put big bale hay out without telling me :( I'm not allowed to use one of the individual paddocks so my option is stable 24/7.
I still have my old yard paid for so can go back there but the reason for moving is mare is unsound and needed turning away and that yard wasn't suitable for that.
I'm honestly on the edge of pts now rather than wait to see if turn away helps, it's been so stressful trying to find a yard that can accommodate both her fence jumping habits and her metabolic issues.
I don't know what to do anymore. Sorry, pointless post really. Just sat in my car, trying to hold it together and failing

Would the YO let you section off a part of the field? I feel so sorry for you. I've moved a few times over the years and have had a couple of occasions when as soon as we got off the lorry I was confronted with a yard owner denying any knowledge of what had been agreed when I viewed the yard. The first time I went home and sat and cried because I'd spoken to the yard owner on the phone and seen her twice before I moved, so that she was clear about what I needed. If you can post on here the area you're looking in maybe someone on the forum will know possible yards.

whiteflower

Visit site
When you say metabolic issues are you talking EMS ? Are you concerned about her weight from the extra hay ? Just confused as to why hay would be such a problem for her if she's out on grass anyway, although would understand if she was overweight. Also it's not great they have gone against what you were told when you moved there. Definitely talk to them though to at least establish the reasoning behind it. Hope you sort something out

chaps89

Visit site
I was absolutely crystal clear to them about her issues and the fact I'd chosen their yard as they don't put ad-lib hay out :(

I viewed when there was an inch of snow on the ground and no hay out even then.

I could kind of understand it if they did it last weekend when the weather turned, but the last 2 days it's been above 0, the ground and trough have defrosted and as of Sunday we are in more comfortable temps (5degrees upwards)

The plan was she would be turned away there as it is a 20 acre field and a herd of 10, and no hay and a time of year where grass isn't flush. The hope was extra movement (big space and lots of horses) would counter-act any side effects from ad-lib grass. There is a stable available for her to be part stabled when the grass starts to come through, so spot on for managing her weight long term.
The trouble with big bale hay and her is that she has no off switch and parks herself at the bale and just doesn't move until it's gone.
(I tried it last year to see if she would self-regulate, the answer was no and she had laminitis in January - hence why I'm so beside myself now. Not to mention angry they didn't tell me!)

It's a 20 acre field, mine will jump the 5ft electric fence posts so I suspect sectioning a bit off will just result in her joining the others and leaving poor companion behind. There is post and rail individual paddocks on the yard, I asked if I could use one until we can arrange a better long term solution and was told No:(

YM told me to talk to YO who told me to talk to YM who wouldn't.
I've had to put them back out for the night and get home as I have raynauds and was struggling sat on the yard whilst I tried to get someone to talk to me to sort it out.
Feeling so hurt I'm not going to lie.

chaps89

Visit site
Muzzle isn't a bad shout, she's adept enough at eating with it on too to wear it. I don't like leaving them on 24/7 as a general rule but for a few days until the weekend that could work.

Thankyou Rowreach, I was worried I'm over reacting, but I'm just so stunned given they know the history that they wouldn't even mention it first.
I've had concerns this week as the trough hasn't been being defrosted, and I ended up having to ask for buckets to be put out until it defrosted (I was clearing the ice but it was frozen and not re-filling) but figured that was at least something I could do myself.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Thing is, as a YO you sometimes have to do things differently, move horses about, save fields, whatever, but you should always tell people and make sure no horse is unduly compromised by the changes.

In this case they've done something that has specifically affected your horse and made no alternative arrangement or allowances.

The water thing is mindblowingly awful though. Ten horses with no water???

chaps89

Visit site
Absolutely, I totally get things change.
I also understand they have a few oldies who, even though the weather is now improving, will probably benefit from the hay. I'm totally ok with that.
Not on board with the lack of communication or consideration though, I do consider it to be a real welfare issue, along with the water.
Have got 2 sole use options to explore and a yard far away who I've been on the waiting list for for ages randomly text me whilst I was on my way to the yard to say they have space, so going to explore that before calling old yard but won't be hanging around or putting it off and will go back to old yard if needed (Presuming she'll have us, thankfully no reason why not but you never know)

I know frozen grass isn't ideal, and I would never turn out onto frozen grass, but my understanding is that if they're out as it freezes that is not so bad.
Ultimately I'm between a rock and a hard place with this mare.
I've been able to manage her weight superbly where we were. But it had unsuitable riding facilities (ie none - other than very busy roads) and I was struggling with her soundness. Hence decision to do something very different to what I would normally do and hope it works.
I always knew it was a gamble but really, I don't have anything to lose if the alternative was pts anyway, and I'm really really on the ball with her metabolic issues and at the first sign of trouble I'd have called it a day there and then. However I did what I can to try and minimise that by actively avoiding yards (which is pretty much all others!) who put big bale hay out.
They come in each morning for a soaked net and metabolic friendly feed too, to get them off the grass for an hour or two and eat more suitable foods for them.
I do promise, I'm trying everything I can!