Livery yard chaos

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Ignore, There’s usually always one everywhere you go and I usually find the ones to really watch are the ones who come to you to talk about someone else. X

donovan10

New User
Visit site
I always used to say, just ignore them, if my horse is happy at the yard, thats the most important thing! BUT.... I am leaving the yard I am on tomorrow, my horse is happy there, but there is 1 person there that has literally tried to destroy my life, take away my career, no exagerations, I have tried to get over it, but I cant. So, if its making you so unhappy, find somewhere else. Good luck!

Misty 2020

Visit site
I just laugh at them if they make a bitchy comment about me or my horse because you annoy them even more. My previous yard the people were straight up nasty . I lucky the people on my current yard are lovely and there is no bitchy people. If you’re not happy than I would move it was the best discussion I made was to get out of my previous yard.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Depends how bad it is I have tended to stay away from people I consider not very nice, but have know some real bullies and I won't put up with bully behaviour so I tend to get left alone by them, but I have seen some people really suffer because they have felt scared and intimidated which I find quite sad, I would and have reported such to the yo or manager and I would expect it to be dealt with and have known them to be asked to leave.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I always used to say, just ignore them, if my horse is happy at the yard, thats the most important thing! BUT.... I am leaving the yard I am on tomorrow, my horse is happy there, but there is 1 person there that has literally tried to destroy my life, take away my career, no exagerations, I have tried to get over it, but I cant. So, if its making you so unhappy, find somewhere else. Good luck!

That sounds terrible I hope you are ok

dorsetladette

Visit site
In theory ignore, but in practise let it eat away at me until I cant contain it any longer. Kick off, rant uncontrollable about things that seem really trivial and completely miss the point I'm trying to make. Then move quickly feeling like I was probably over reacting and have now made a really bad decision. Only to find out further down the line that the person who caused all the upset has a reputation for it and I was well and truly sucked in.

but that is just me - I'm much happier now I'm on my own:)

Bernster

Visit site
In theory ignore, but in practise let it eat away at me until I cant contain it any longer. Kick off, rant uncontrollable about things that seem really trivial and completely miss the point I'm trying to make. Then move quickly feeling like I was probably over reacting and have now made a really bad decision. Only to find out further down the line that the person who caused all the upset has a reputation for it and I was well and truly sucked in.

but that is just me - I'm much happier now I'm on my own:)

Hah I reckon I’d be the same! Am far better giving sensible advice than putting it into practice. Fortunately I’ve not come across anyone truly nasty or really rude but I probably wouldn’t notice even if they were!

9tails

Visit site
I just ignore. Usually the nasties are also not so liked by the YO and end up moving along eventually. They also get kind of bored with you and/or the yard in general when you ignore them and their antics.

Or they have the YO in their pocket and run the yard for their own personal gain. I keep my head down, don't join in on gossip and just spend time with my horse.

TPO

Visit site
It really depends on what has been happening and if there is a YO managing/overseeing the yard and what they are like.

While ignoring the trouble makers and keeping your head down to do your own thing is good advice I struggled with that because the atmosphere still remained.

Having horses is supposed to be fun and the joy can quickly be sucked out of it when there is bother on the yard.

So yeah bottom line it depends in what's actually going on and how long it's been happening for

dorsetladette

Visit site
Hah I reckon I’d be the same! Am far better giving sensible advice than putting it into practice. Fortunately I’ve not come across anyone truly nasty or really rude but I probably wouldn’t notice even if they were!

I'm one of those people who doesn't really pick up on things straight away as I'm mostly in a little world of my own. but, it will dawn on me in the car on the way home or while sat quietly somewhere. Then I'll be enraged, mostly with myself, as I should of said X Y or Z and didn't, but I've missed the moment. I'm an over thinker by nature and cause myself so much stress or no reason. I've learnt to deal with it by keeping busy and making myself tied everyday so I sleep at night. If you fill your head with good stuff there's no room for the bad stuff.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear this. I once worked with someone who moved to the same yard as me. It was awful, work encroached into horses and horses encroached into work. I was even being ridiculed at work for riding errors and they would video me and play it at work. They even tried to force me to let them use my schoolmaster and horse box by putting a grievance in about me at work and said they would be friends and redact the grievance if I let them use them. I left the yard then the job I had been at both for over 10 years. Amazingly they were asked to leave yard almost 12 months later and were made redundant. Old boss has since tried to get me to return but did very little to help at the time so with a very good company now. So I suppose I should thank them really

9tails

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear this. I once worked with someone who moved to the same yard as me. It was awful, work encroached into horses and horses encroached into work. I was even being ridiculed at work for riding errors and they would video me and play it at work. They even tried to force me to let them use my schoolmaster and horse box by putting a grievance in about me at work and said they would be friends and redact the grievance if I let them use them. I left the yard then the job I had been at both for over 10 years. Amazingly they were asked to leave yard almost 12 months later and were made redundant. Old boss has since tried to get me to return but did very little to help at the time so with a very good company now. So I suppose I should thank them really

Wow! Horrendous oxygen thieves.

Ponyhugger

Visit site
It depends on the yard and if the YO allows/ignores the nastiness/ bitchiness/cliques/bullies and all that goes with it. On my last yard the YO had her favourites and it was cliquey. She also bitched about liveries to the other liveries. If you didn't fit in or didn't know anyone much there you got ignored, slagged off, left out of activities etc etc. Hid my rugs and bridles, scratched my saddle and denied it. Or it went the other way and they spoke to you to tell you your position was all wrong, you didn't know what you were doing.... plus the one-upmanship and petty competitiveness. I ignored it for as long as I could stand, then left to rent a field. Oh the peace! The best decision I made. It depends on your own personal experience and situation in the end of course.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I ignore them to a point then once it’s crossed a certain threshold I just get them told. I’m not great at confrontation and I avoid it but once my lines crossed then I’m afraid it’s no holds barred.

I can’t stand yard bitching, I don’t say anything on a yard I wouldn’t admit to as it always gets back no matter who you tell it to.