Livery yard dilemma

chaps89

Visit site
I seem to have gradually moved further and further away from where I keep my horse :eek:
I recently started looking at moving her anyway but keeping her close to where she currently is but figured I'd likely stay put. It now looks as though our yard will be sold so I'll have to move after all - although thankfully these things take time so there's not too much of a rush.

This bought me to looking at whether I should move her closer to home and this is where my dilemma lies.

At the moment it's about 28 miles to the yard (takes 35 minutes when timed right but it's not unusual for it to be an hour or more each way if not or traffic is bad) and she's only about 6 miles from the office, so she's in the right direction for going to work.
As a general rule I go to the office 4 times a week so do her both ends of the day then. Days I'm not at the office I go up once and pay a freelancer to cover the other end of the day. I am a bit fed up of having to allow at least an hour and a half for travelling though on these days.

If I move her closer to home, from extensive googling there is a number of yards within a 15 mile radius which is anything from an 8 minute drive to 25 minutes. Hopefully at least one would prove suitable and have space.
BUT they are pretty much all going in the wrong direction to work! Which means a longer journey in to work 4 days a week and likely to have to pay for assistance 4 nights instead of 3 (then needing assistance on work nights instead)

There isn't a lot of choice in between the 2 areas as a middle ground so not sure that's an option either unfortunately.

Wwyd? Look for somewhere closer to home or stick with keeping roughly around the area she's in?

ETA - Gosh, sorry that was quite the essay :eek:

Fiona

Visit site
Gut feeling is close to home, but apart from paying for an extra nights help, would there be other advantages to having your horse closer to you at the weekends.

More impromptu trips out, or making friends with other clients perhaps?

Fiona

Hack4fun

Visit site
I can't answer your question, but would suggest thinking about what gives you pleasure with your horse and what location makes that easy. Good luck with your search.

claret09

Visit site
I would always go with being close to home. my boy is about 3.5 miles from home it takes me five minutes or so to get there. I can pop home for lunch and I am very close by if there is a problem. I would hate him to be so far away from home. it would really worry me. I am very lucky to have finally found a fab yard where both he and I are very happy

TreeDog

Visit site
I used to be at a yard 20 minutes down twisty potholed lanes from home, 5 mins from work. Now 5-10 minutes from home and 25 minutes from work (in the same direction though) and I much prefer this way round. I'm also happier knowing that in cases of extreme weather (like the snow we had last year) or car breakdown I could walk or get a lift there much easier

be positive

Visit site
You may end up paying for 4 days instead of 3 but if she is nearer home the time and fuel saved will more than cover the extra so I would move her nearer home if you can find a good yard.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
Definite food for thought and the point about what yard/area allows me to do what I want with her most sticks out.
We are primarily happy hackers but I would like to do more in the school and we don't have one on my current yard. My other absolute priority is being able to manage her weight, she is such a good doer.
The yards I've found online close to me are from yellow pages listings or ancient HHO threads so it's hard to tell what they're like as an address isn't much to go on! I suspect a day driving around to see what is on offer is in order. There does seem to be 2 good options that meet hacking/school/weight management criteria but they are a full 25/30 mins in absolutely the wrong direction, and although that's ok on days I'm not in the office, it will add a significant chunk of time onto my already fairly long commute and lessen the time I get at the yard those mornings.
Lots of food for thought anyway!

Griffin

Visit site
Mine is 10 minutes from me and 30 minutes from work. I do find it bit of a pain in terms of direction but this is balanced by knowing I have a short drive home from the yard in the evenings. Also, closer to home makes it a lot easier for just popping in on days off and dealing with problems.

One thing you may want to consider is who you can use if you move in terms of things like farrier, dentist, etc? I have been really lucky to find some excellent support through recommendations, so it is very possible.

JulesRules

Visit site
Where are you OP? Someone on here might be able to help with more info on local yards.

I used to be on a yard 20 -40 minutes away from home and moved yards because of changing jobs (wrong direction).

I'm now 5 minutes (2 miles) from home and much prefer being close to home. It's easy just to pop up and it was brilliant being able to walk up in the snow last winter.

My suggestion would be to look for assisted DIY then you only have to go up once a day anyway. My yard includes bring in and turn out and isn't any more expensive than my old DIY yard. I'd find it so hard to go back to 2 visits a day now after being spoilt for so long!!