LIVERY YARD NIGHTMARE!!!

Is your horse clipped?

• Total voters

HIGHAMREB

New User
Visit site
confused.gif
you wont believe what happened to us this weekend, we recently moved livery yards on what we believed to be pleasant terms, we then agreed to loan a pony who was on livery at the old yard,
on sunday when we went to collect the pony, the yard manager from the old stables had locked the gate and parked a tractor infront of it to stop us getting access to the pony! the poor girl who owns the pony was distraught and the yard owners refused to move it! the police refused to do anything as it was a civil matter! has anybody heard anything like it!!!!
i am absolutely horrified that anybody who is running a business can behave so unbelievably immaturely!!
any views?

HIGHAMREB

New User
Visit site
no dont owe any money, paid full notice and when we left, the dad gave us a hug and said we were welcome back, they r just sour grapes coz losing more custom to same yard!!!

Shipley

Visit site
o'dear best shot off the yard then, you never can tell til lyou are gone what area are you in? are there lots of yards fighting for competition?

reynold

Visit site
if the yard is BHS approved then complain to the BHS as that sort of behaviour is not permitted

if the yard is combined riding school and livery then it will be local authority licensed - complain to council

other than that - sorry but you are stuffed

NewHeights_SJ

www.newheights-showjumping.co.uk
The livery yard owner cannot refuse to let the pony leave if there is no money oweing or other disputes. I would try and talk to them and solve it amicably or failing that I would look at walking the pony out and loading it elsewhere, there must be some way of getting it out in hand?

Very petty IMO.

belly

Visit site
There surely must be more to it than you know. Any idea if anybody else may have stuck their nose in? Sounds like you are well out of it though! Good luck at your new livery.

HIGHAMREB

New User
Visit site
nobody owed money, it was because they have lost a lot of liveries to the same yard.
there are some bitter people on the yard who have been stirring trouble but every1 who left paid up and gave notice.
thankfully we now have the pony safely off that awful yard

shadowboy

Visit site
Sounds just like an old livery owner i used to know in Wales- he would go sour whenever anything was happening that he didnt like or where someone had something better than him/his dauget just like when shadow and I started to win at Dressage.....he locked a liveries horse in its stable!

Pidge

Visit site
sounds like our old yard - gave our notice in and we were off and packed within the hour, 2 horses and associated gear plus rubber matting and electric posts and tape from a 2 acre field!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I can see why they are peeved, it's because they blame you for taking a livery ( therefore income) away from them, but their behaviour is pretty awful..
I would write a strong worded letter asking for the reasons behind their behaviour and arrange to collect the loan pony down the road next time.

ihatework

Visit site
I had a similar nightmare at a yard last year.
I had a horse on part loan that I was schooling and competing for the horses owner and taking a cut of the sale.
The YM had been offered the oppertunity but turned it down, then got sour grapes when the horse went out and won virtually everything he entered and was suddenly worth some money. She sh*t-stirred with the YO (who is a businessman/farmer and knows little about horses) who as soon as horse had been vetted by purchasers demanded a 10% cut of the sale price or else horse couldn't leave yard (all livery was up to date and paid in advance). His reasoning was that owner has used a third party agent to sell the horse ... WTF !!! Nothing about that in our contracts!

Anyway it all got a bit heated, but we thankfully got the horse to his new owners with them having to deal with the added stress.

I reported YO to BHS (was a BHS approved yard), BHS were useless, but it made me feel better. I also reported YM for running a horse transport sideline without the required operating license.

Anyway ... what goes around comes around. Everyone in the area was made very aware of what had gone on and now lo and behold he has gone from being full to only having 5 liveries and a few DIY's on what is quite a big yard.