Livery Yard.... or not??

Rockchick

Visit site
As the title says really

Up until recently I have always had my horses on yards however recently I have moved them to a non livery yard - basically there is just me and the owner there (and her horses) and she plans to keep it that way

I worried initially about it as there obviously wouldnt be lots of people to talk to, there isnt (at the moment) a menage and basically it isnt a yard....

i discussed this with the owner of the place prior to moving and she happily made arrangements for me to use the menage up the lane as and when i needed/wanted it and she also made an effort (and still does) to come and see me when i was around , she rides out with me and through that ive made some new friends in the ares who have become good friends and consequently I have someone to chat to/ride with 99% of the time :) the standard of care my horses recieve is equal to, if not higher than the care they have recieved at previous places, they are on part livery which is basically full livery in the week and DIY at weekends (although the owner does help me out by turning out/bringing in for me as and when needed often free of charge and has also covered weekend care for me when ive been away) all my feed, hay, bedding is included in the livery costs, there is plenty of grazing available and hay in the field if the grazing diminishes over the winter (which it hasnt too much) and to make it better its £25 per week per horse (i have 2) cheaper than my previous yard (BONUS) Yes ok, its not posh, all singing all dancing and all that jazz, but my horses have top care, comfy stables, good grazing, loads of turnout time (often 5:30am -10:00pm in summer) and approx 6:30am until 4pm in winter and more importantly we're all happy and im not judged for what i do/dont do with my horses as has previously been the case. Help/advice is always on hand should i need it but its not forced on me

Just curious as to whether anyone else has had similar thoughts/experiences. Its certainly put me off yards for the forseeable future

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
That sounds really nice, and I'm glad you have such a nice place for your horses! I went from a yard like yours (only owner onsite) to a 'proper' yard if you like, because the YO turned out to be a total oddball and it was intolerable for me and my horse. If you have a good YO, and yours sounds lovely, stick in and stay there! I only moved because of the YO at the first yard, everything else was fine.

maletto

Visit site
sounds incredible! what's the problem with it?! would love to keep mine somewhere like that! especially at that price!!

pizzi

Visit site
I moved to a small private yard which I thought was going to be like the yard you are at.( which sounds great) However, it didn't turn out too well! Yard "rules" changed every week etc.
Have now moved to a custom built livery yard , with 30 horses, and I absolutely love it. Great knowledgeable staff and friendly liveries. I've had mine at home before and this to me was the best option but times change and I feel I have landed on my feet at the yard I am at now.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I'm on what you'd call a 'private' livery (Marjorie is the only livery at the moment) and I have to say it works for me. I'm just left to get on with things. No yard politics. No cliques which I would never belong to. No stuff going missing or getting used. Just quiet calm and amazing hacking. There's no way we're going anywhere else!!

webble

Visit site
Yes I am pretty much in the same situation as you although we have no grass. I had and still have the same worries as you and I do get a bit lonely but I have made friends at the yard down the road and following a thread I started on here will be staying where I am

You are getting a VERY good deal IMHO

jess2353

Visit site
I'm in a pretty similar situation to you, I moved my mare off a livery yard with another 16 liverys to a small private yard with just my mare & yard owners 2 horses. deffo at first thought I'd miss the banter & horsey chit chats with the girls but needed to move horse as lack of turnout.... Anyway love my new yard, no bitchyness, no people taking my stuff, no people handling my horse I didn't want to, now have lots of lovely turnout(out all summer & from 7-430/5 in winter) with a great yard owner who's been an absolute diamond who's helped me religiously since I've been there :) i have use of a ménage across the street with a friend of yard owners plus lots of nice hacking routes & even better I no longer have an unhappy horse that weaves. Deffo prefer where I'm at 100% more to where I was before.