Livery yard routines

Esyllt

Visit site
Hi all,
Me and Coblet are now on a yard where she will have to be in overnight in winter. Currently, she is allowed to stay out overnight, has individual turnout (large paddock, track set up because she's a calorie hoarder). Others in paddocks around her, some get brought in overnight, others are brought in during the day (just scene setting).
As I brought her in this morning to do my thing with her, others were left out, however one was a bit miffed she had been brought in. That horse's O turned up after me, and made a P.A. dig about her horse needing to come in now because he wasn't happy mine had been brought in. I let that slide, and after I'd finished, I turned mine back out. Other horse was still in. Mine is fine out, not bothered that no others out at that time due to it being later in the morning and O's bringing in to ride etc. I did not make any digs at anyone.
What's going to happen come winter?! I have to be in work for 7am, so will be going up around 5am to muck and turn out etc, I doubt anyone else will be there that early (mostly retired, WFH, teenagers). Will I have to put up with their comments about their horses missing mine, and that I need to consider theirs, when doing my own?! No one returns the favour, and isn't bothered about leaving mine alone, even if she calls. Also don't finish until 5pm, so wont be out to bring in until after that time. How do you manage with these things, if you are an early bird, and have work patterns different to others? Apart from developing a very thick skin! Im very quiet and keep myself to myself, I dislike any attention, and really dont want to have my time etc dictated by others with way more flexibility than me...

Esyllt

Visit site
Are there yard rules on the etiquette for bringing in/out? Being individual turn out, I'd have thought not.

Sounds like the other owner was making a fuss over nothing.
No, no rules on etiquette for in/out, only rules in contract are the usual your own horse is your responsibility etc, and about the bringing in overnight in winter. No times given etc. I was hoping being early meant I'd avoid all the politics ?

wiglet

Visit site
It’s a minefield isn’t it!? This one of the reasons I moved to full livery - all the comings and going’s at odd hours really unsettled my horse.

if your mare is fine on her own and doesn’t mind being left then I’d grow a really thick skin, don your tin helmet and crack on with your own routine!! ??

Esyllt

Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm very new to this sort of set up, and was wondering what I've let myself in for!

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
If your horse is ok turned out on her own then I wouldn't worry. I was at a livery yard where you couldn't leave one horse out on it's own so the next to last person up had to get both the last two horses in. This meant some people never made an effort to get to the yard at a reasonable time in the evening because they knew someone else would get their horse in as it couldn't be left alone.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Our yard rule even on individual turn-out is not to leave a horse out on its own unless the owner is ok for you to leave it out whether or not it’s going bananas.

Luckily we put our horses first on our yard and work it out together. I don’t have to worry about mine at the moment as I have two together but in the past it’s been a pain as others would bring in so early in winter and I couldn’t make it if working. It’s much nicer if you can work something out with others for the best interests of the horses.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Unless the YO has a specific rule on this then its up to each owner what they do with their own horse. There are only 3 of us at our little diy yard and the owner doesnt have any rules, however, the 3 of us work together and make sure we never leave a horse out that is likely to panic on its own. If someone has a problem then its really up to them to approach the rest of you and ask if you can help, not for you to pander to them. You would hope that everyone would put the horses interests first whatever the rules may be

Esyllt

Visit site
The horse is not being left out on his own, though, there are others out at the same time according to the OP.
That is true, there were others out, he was just looking in the direction mine had gone and called once. I've just been out to see her now, and everyone bar her is in. She's not bothered. But nobody made an effort to tell me that she'd be out on her own today, so wondering why I'm expected to make an effort?

Esyllt

Visit site
I've posed the question on the yard group chat, to try and see if we can all work something out together... hopefully all will be well. Thank you for your replies.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
if your horse is fine being left alone then It is up to the others to sort theirs out either by being there themselves or arranging for someone else kind enough to help bring unsettled one in. Not very good that you weren’t informed that yours was alone though as you are new to the yard they wouldn’t have known the reaction your horse would have had. I have just changed from two horses to one and I would expect to be told if mine was going to be left alone. It’s the first time I’ve only had one horse but I’ve been very lucky as he is really not that bothered about being on his own in or out, there is one mare that gets wound up if I bring him in, but there are always others out so she’s just Mardy that mine has gone in to be ridden, so I just ignore her and she soon settles. Down again.

Trouper

Visit site
With an eye to the future - winter, travel delays etc etc I think I might start to cultivate any of the more reasonable liveries to see if there are some mutually convenient arrangements you can come to between you. I see you have made a start on the yard chat group so I hope this bears fruit.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
There are 3 options for single horse owners on DIY. Pair up with another owner, pay for extra services or go on full livery, or buy another horse.
When I moved to single horse ownership on DIY, it was more time consuming than having three horses, because I spent ages hanging around waiting for other horses to be turned out/ brought in, just to ensure my horse had a reasonable amount of time in the field over winter.
I decided to go on full livery rather than buy a second horse.

Esyllt

Visit site
There are 3 options for single horse owners on DIY. Pair up with another owner, pay for extra services or go on full livery, or buy another horse.
When I moved to single horse ownership on DIY, it was more time consuming than having three horses, because I spent ages hanging around waiting for other horses to be turned out/ brought in, just to ensure my horse had a reasonable amount of time in the field over winter.
I decided to go on full livery rather than buy a second horse.
I'm trying to persuade my other half that another horse is a good idea ? she's doing ok, and goes with the flow. When we had herd turn out, she was always the one standing away by herself, and doesn't mind others being taken in/out without her. The general consensus from the group chat is everyone has different schedules, and we are all to do our own thing regardless, as that was the point of individual turnout etc ??‍♀️ and no one wants anything to do with anyone else's horses, so I guess it's going to be a case of seeing how things go and evolving from there. Now I now where things stand. Lucky mine is the easy going one!