Livery Yard - stay or go

Lacuna

Visit site
I'm unsure whether I want to stay at my current yard, nothing I can really put my finger on apart from lack of 24 turnout in the summer.

It has good hacking, run by someone I know who checks horses 2-3 times every 24 hrs and can't fault the care of my pony on 5 day part livery. But I'm still starting to look around at other alternatives, I've been hacking the same routes for 18 mths now and there is seldom anyone who can hack at the times I'm available to go out.

A livery space is available at the village I started riding in ages ago that has lots of fab trails. its a bit cheaper/offers 24 hr turnout in the summer, well drained and i know several people in the village & pub. Its just been opened by a lady who I don't know but gave me a great impression of herself and the area. There are basic facilities / a bit more storage than I'm used to / post and rail (although electrified) rather than tape, so I'm quite tempted.

I will feel guilty as anything fr leaving current yard as I kind of feel that I want to move because I'm tired of the status quo. Pony is happy (although coughing - the hay at the other yard seems to be much less dusty than our current supplier) but I would like more turn out for him - although we'd have to agree on restricted grazing areas. Argh - its driving me up the wall, what would anyone else do? Stay where I am as nothing is wrong? or go somewhere new on a bit of a whim?

Last edited:

Charlie31

Visit site
I would go for the 24/7 turnout and better hay. If your pony is coughing now then these improvements will be much better for his long term health and I'm sure he'll settle in quickly enough.

The new yard sounds nice and there's nothing in what you said that would put me off, apart from fear of the unknown. I can get bored of hacking the same routes too so understand that a change of scenery would be beneficial here. And you never know, you might get some new hacking buddies too!

Annagain

Visit site
I would move - leave on good terms and go back if you didn't like the new place ! :)

This. If you explain that it's nothing to do with the care he receives but you're bored of hacking alone and would like more turnout in the summer, your current YO shouldn't feel too aggrieved and you should be able to go back if you need to. Could you afford to keep your space at your current yard open for a month to be certain you've made the right move?

Lacuna

Visit site
Thanks - I'm not sure about being able to hold a space open though - although credit cards exist I suppose.

Its just the whole conversation with current YM I'm not looking forward to. Dunno why as she's perfectly nice and all.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I would stay where you are for at least 6 months. Soak the hay. Wait and see. If the woman running the other yard is an unknown entity, six months should be sufficient for you to hear on the grapevine whether or not she delivers to the first impression she gave you. There's
many that can 'talk the talk' and not so many that can 'walk the walk'.

chancing

Visit site
i did this, i moved and felt happier but grass wasnt greener on other side however because i left on good terms when i mentioned i would like to move back there was a stable ready within 24 hours..do whatever you feel is right but dont burn your bridges

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If you're not really unhappy, why move your horse away from his friends? Sounds like you're just a bit bored. If your horse is unhappy, then that's another matter. So long as there is turnout all year round 24/7 in summer is not a massive plus. I do it, but TBH the horses would be just as happy still coming in at night or during the day.