Livery Yard Viewing Protocol

9tails

Visit site
If you wanted to view a new livery yard, would you turn up unannounced or make an appointment? I'm inclined to make an appointment, then go back when liveries are about to get the low down, but there seems to be a concensus that you just turn up and go look?

Morag4

Visit site
I would ring first, at this time of the year I would imagine they ar quite busy so for someone to be able to show you around and answer any questions you might have would be the way to go IMO.

I've been in contact via email with a local livery and will be arranging to go visit and see the YO/M later this week early next week they will then have time to answer any and all questions I might have as I've never been on a livery yard there will be a lot of questions!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Think depends on the set-up. I'm YO of a very small concern, i.e. only one DIY livery, and as we live on site I'm not sure we could deal with people just turning up unannounced!!!

When we have had a livery vacancy, we would expect the normal protocol i.e. person sees advert, rings to arrange time, and then turns up - ON TIME!!!!; without bringing friends, tribe of screaming kids dropping litter everywhere, dogs chasing the sheep & chickens, smoking their heads off or swilling a beer-can:( (Yep, you see it all as a YO!!!).

Even with a bigger yard where there's more likelihood of staff being around; I would still feel the correct protocol would be to ring first, then arrive promptly. But then I'm an old-fashioned old thing..........

noodle_

Visit site
If passing and driving around I'd turn up providing its a big yard

I'd rather phone but if just checking out the area turning up is sometimes a good way to get a box !

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'm amazed that anyone would think its ok to turn up to a yard without at least calling to ask when would be convenient. How rude. Surely it's just common courtesy for any sort of viewing (yard, horse, house, car etc) to call I advance!
I've called a yard previously & been told 'I'm about all day Saturday, just pop in when it suits you' which is fine & their prerogative (also have me a nice feeling about the yard)

When I have livery space again, I can assure anyone who is rude enough to just turn up to look around will be finding that I certainly don't have space for them ;)

glamourpuss

Visit site
If passing and driving around I'd turn up providing its a big yard

I'd rather phone but if just checking out the area turning up is sometimes a good way to get a box !

See if I saw a yard like this I still wouldn't just turn up. I'd get a telephone number - either from the sign or directory enquiries, go around the corner & call explaining that I was just around the corner & ask if I could look around.

rach1

Visit site
I'm amazed that anyone would think its ok to turn up to a yard without at least calling to ask when would be convenient. How rude. Surely it's just common courtesy for any sort of viewing (yard, horse, house, car etc) to call I advance!

I agree, as a yard owner or livery on the yard, how happy would you be if strangers randomly turned up at your yard?

Calling in advance is a nice courtesy to have. You can always turn up early!

TheMule

Visit site
We sometimes get people just drop in and it's fine because the yard is run the same whether people are coming to look or not. However, most people phone to make an appointment and that's preferable so the relevant person can be present

picasso

New User
Visit site
Think depends on the set-up. I'm YO of a very small concern, i.e. only one DIY livery, and as we live on site I'm not sure we could deal with people just turning up unannounced!!!

When we have had a livery vacancy, we would expect the normal protocol i.e. person sees advert, rings to arrange time, and then turns up - ON TIME!!!!; without bringing friends, tribe of screaming kids dropping litter everywhere, dogs chasing the sheep & chickens, smoking their heads off or swilling a beer-can:( (Yep, you see it all as a YO!!!).

Even with a bigger yard where there's more likelihood of staff being around; I would still feel the correct protocol would be to ring first, then arrive promptly. But then I'm an old-fashioned old thing..........

totally with you on this.

although actually I'd rather they turned up with the entourage so at least you can see what might be arriving along with the horse and then decline politely!

for those saying they would just drop in unannounced would you turn up at a house for sale without an appointment and expect to be shown round?

Its unfair on the yard owner to just turn up, they might have appointments themselves to get to but then feel obliged to show you round in case they otherwise get labelled as 'rude' etc

glamourpuss

Visit site
When I had my small yard (many years ago :D) I would also do an official viewing where I showed the person around which meant I could suss them out as much as anything. After that I'd suggest they spent some time looking around on their own/having a chat to the other liveries.

twiggy2

Visit site

I really think it depends on the yard, if it was gated and secure and attached to a house I would get a number and call, where my mare has just moved from was on a working farm and was all DIY they never advertise and they only way to get to speak to someone is to turn up when they are there. Where I have moved too it is a non working farm, not gated but over 50 stables, again all DIY, very difficult to get a reply on the phone, neither yard has a manager and only the second one has an owner living on site.

Even when I have worked on full livery yards there have always been people just turn up-never found it to be a problem TBH but they have always been bigger yards that advertise at the end of the drive-I think if there is no board out I would not just go in but if advertised at the entranceI would go in unless gated then I would call out or phone whilst stood at the gate.

PolarSkye

Visit site

Well in that case, I'm old-fashioned too :).

P

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am a YO and I don't take kindly to people just dropping in unannounced. I think it is rude, especially if it's a small private yard. Ours is not sign posted and is tucked away for obvious reasons and so I think that it is worse people turning up here without an appointment than at a large busy professional yard. I understand why people might want to do it, and I have nothing to hide, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't take on such people as liveries even if I had space.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I am a YO and I don't take kindly to people just dropping in unannounced. I think it is rude, especially if it's a small private yard. Ours is not sign posted and is tucked away for obvious reasons and so I think that it is worse people turning up here without an appointment than at a large busy professional yard. I understand why people might want to do it, and I have nothing to hide, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't take on such people as liveries even if I had space.

Same here, except I don't run a livery yard, this is my home. People still feel that it's perfectly fine to turn up, park across my gateway, climb in over my locked gates and wander round and then get arsey when I tell them that sorry, no, I don't have any liveries nor want any.

I would never dream of just dropping in. Phone first, make an appointment to see round and at that appointment ask if it's ok to pop back some time later to have another look round unannounced seems to me to be a sensible way to go about it.

9tails

Visit site
Thank you, I was uncomfortable about just turning up as I think that would have put paid to our chances of spaces if we'd liked the place.

wench

Visit site
If it's a large yard, and run as a visible "business" then I do not see the problem in someone walking in and asking to see a member of staff about making an appointment to come and view the yard. If it's a busy yard, people often don't answer the telephone, or reply to emails, or voicemails.

Smaller yard, or from an advert in a shop, I would expect to ring.

crabbymare

Visit site
The yards I looked at were not advertising so I dropped in when I was passing and asked for the phone number of the manager as I was looking for livery. nobody was upset and at one the manager was there and happy to show me around straight away. I think it depends on your attitude so if you are polite and dont expect to be seen immediately people are more likely to help especially as a lot of good places did not need to advertise and had wait lists. obviously if it was a private yard behind someones house I would not have just walked in though

Merrymoles

Visit site
I'm old fashioned too but have just turned up to enquire whether there are any vacancies and, if so, whether I can make an appointment to look round. In my defence, I didn't have a phone number for the yard but when I arrived and there was no-one there, there was a sign with a mobile number on so I was then able to ring up.
I can see why some people would be annoyed but if it's a business, unsolicited callers should be accepted. It's not quite the same as viewing a house or a car in my view, more like finding a new hairdresser or other service

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Usually I'd phone to make an appointment but some yards do not have a sign or means of contacting by phone unless you know the YO.
I generally drive around an area to look at yards before committing myself to view and, so as not to alarm the owner by the sight of a parked car near by, I'll introduce myself.
Those YO's who have current or expected vacancies, have been happy to have a chat and show me around but I wouldn't expect a tour without arranging one beforehand.

So in principle phoning first is polite but in practice, stopping and saying hello to the YO on the yard seems to get a friendly response.

Cheiro1

Visit site
If I saw a yard that was obviously a livery, I would pop in and ask if they had any spaces/I could arrange a time to come back and view.

Would never just start looking around/expect to be shown round there and then though!!

Greylegs

Visit site
Popping in to a large / busy yard to make an appointment and being prepared to return at a convenient time is one thing. Would never drop in and expect to be given the full works tour un-announced. Very rude IMO. When our YO shows folks round, she introduces them to people if anyone's around and often leaves them to it if any of us are around to chat to so they can drift over to chat if they want without her being there. Most of us have been there for years anyway, which speaks volumes for the place and whether we like it or not.

trottingon

Visit site
Usually I'd phone to make an appointment but some yards do not have a sign or means of contacting by phone unless you know the YO.
I generally drive around an area to look at yards before committing myself to view and, so as not to alarm the owner by the sight of a parked car near by, I'll introduce myself.
Those YO's who have current or expected vacancies, have been happy to have a chat and show me around but I wouldn't expect a tour without arranging one beforehand.

So in principle phoning first is polite but in practice, stopping and saying hello to the YO on the yard seems to get a friendly response.

Exactly this. We don't really have big commercial yards near me. So the majority don't have a signpost and phone number on display. I usually call in, ask to see who is in charge and ask them if I can arrange a convenient time to view. Or ask for their phone number if they are not around :) I've never encountered any problems doing this, have pretty much been shown around there and then, and have even been bumped up the waiting list because the owners have met me and formed an opinion rather than just heard my voice on the phone.

hnmisty

Visit site
Exactly this. We don't really have big commercial yards near me. So the majority don't have a signpost and phone number on display. I usually call in, ask to see who is in charge and ask them if I can arrange a convenient time to view. Or ask for their phone number if they are not around :) I've never encountered any problems doing this, have pretty much been shown around there and then, and have even been bumped up the waiting list because the owners have met me and formed an opinion rather than just heard my voice on the phone.

That's still polite though :) Just giving yourself a solo tour unannounced is rude, but popping in and asking to speak to the YO is perfectly acceptable IMO.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Sometimes, when I've just popped in to enquire without phoning, although the YO hasn't any vacancies, they've offered to make room for the horses because they think you'll fit in well.
If I'd phoned instead, the answer would have been a no.