Livery yard woes

qwerty123

Visit site
I am on a smallish livery yard (15 boxes) and there is one person on the yard that I detest. This person has fallen out with two other liveries to the point that they do not speak at all. As far as I can work out it was all very petty. The other two liveries don't talk to him and keep out of persons way.
The problem is that this one person is incredibly petty, constantly talking about them and what they do with their horses, messes with their stuff so that they have to lock even their feed away, has put poo in their freshly mucked out stables... The list of ridiculous and petty things goes on but it's never proven it's said person!

At least 2 liveries have left because of this person, I have only been here for 6 months and I'm afraid I'm very two faced in that I talk to the person, but I can't stand them, I just don't want my things to go missing etc!

It is a lovely yard and I don't really want to leave (difficult anyway with 4 horses), I and others have spoken to the yard owner (he's yard owner but not manager in the sense that we are mostly left to get on with things) I've told him my feelings, and so has everyone else. The problem is that said person owes livery money, and yard owner is reluctant to give him notice when he owes money- this is despite me telling him that said person owes money on purpose so as not to get thrown off (person told me this!).

I am so sick of him bitching about the others, insulting other people on the yard for their decisions, pretending to be a know it all etc etc. It's wearing incredibly thin!
One of the other liveries has suggested we all go and put pressure on the YO to kick person off, stating that if he doesn't go then we will all look for somewhere else but I'm not sure how to go about things.

The Snowman

Visit site
It sounds like a nightmare situation for you, the other liveries and the YO to be honest. If it was just general bitching about people and what they do with their horses I would just say stay clear and ignore, but the other stuff is a bit trickier to ignore!

It must be hard for the YO as well as obviously they do not want to lose money, and are probably worried this person will kick off if they get asked to leave. I personally wouldn't put pressure on the YO to get this person to leave. It sounds like they are in a tricky enough situation as it is and they need to figure it out themselves.

Although very difficult the best thing to do is to ignore and enjoy your time with your horses. The person is probably looking for reactions from people so the less you give the better.

Fingers crossed it gets better for you!!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If *all* the others will go with you to the YO and you all genuinely will leave if this person isn't thrown off, then it could work. But empty threats are pointless. So is 2 or 3 people threatening to leave. This YO wants the easy option (as so many of them do) and that's to let the yard run itself, not care if there is a high turnover/empty stables and stick their head in the sand about the money owed realistically never being paid upto date. You can't force someone to care about what is probably a side-line business, unless you really will all leave. The prospect of no liveries at all, except a non-payer, might concentrate his mind somewhat.

If you can't avoid this person by going at different times and keep all your stuff locked up (including your stable when your horse isn't in it) then I'd leave. The situation is only going to make you more miserable. Even having horses on different yards is surely better than having them all somewhere convenient and dreading going there.

wills_91

Visit site
I couldn't stand to be on a yard like that, my horse is my down time and thus person will end up making you dread going up. If it were me I would move.

qwerty123

Visit site
Thanks...
It already makes me miserable to be there, and he is ALWAYS there so no avoiding them!!
I keep looking for other places but they are hard to find.

By all of us I mean me and 3 others which is 11 of the 15 boxes on the yard. It wouldn't be an empty threat on my part as I really think that if this person stays, as soon as I find space somewhere I will move.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Seems to me there's two ways of dealing with this:

1/ which you're already doing basically, i.e. keeping on nodding terms with the guy and not actively looking for a squabble but avoiding him if possible

2/ go all out and chummy up with the other injured parties on the yard and therefore be part of "them" rather than keep yourself independent

YO is stupid and by all accounts sounds a bit of a fuddle to allow any livery to owe money over an extended period so unless they deal with this then don't see TBH how things can change.

Or you could stick with the situation, for now, and be looking around for somewhere else............

Kylara

Visit site
Does the contract not have the clause about unpaid livery bills for 3 months means can sell the horse to recoup costs? Or does he just pay very late.

I'd suggest moving, or getting the YO to step in and discuss the unacceptable behaviour could cause him to be booted (maybe 3 strikes route?). If you are struggling to prove anything, buy a couple of motion wildlife cameras to stick in the areas stuff is happening in.

Haz:)

Visit site
Sorry about this situation - we had someone just the same on our yard !! She moved our hay about, messes with the things, and let her aggressive Shetland that chased me out he field after I went to go collect my poles she had borrowed back, and also this pony (that may I add she thought she could talk to) tore my Pony's £70 turnout rug to shreds (said she'd pay but never happened!!).

Thankfully, she's left now! :)

Depending on how desperate you all are, just throwing this out there, and it isn't too larger of the sum - you could all get together and pay off the debt owed by that person so that YO won't miss out and can give them the boot. That way YO isn't under too much pressure and won't miss out on business.

Snuffles

Visit site
I thank the Lord for my yard! I have been there 3 years now and have never had any cause to complain about anything !

The last yard I was at the liveries went to the owner and told them they were leaving if A wasnt asked to go, (similar sort of problem to yours)YO was very non involved, didnt concern himself about running of yard, but the thought of losing 5 liveries to keep 1 resulted in A being asked to leave. If you do go down this route however you must be prepared to go through with it.