Livery yards being closed, banned from seeing our horses

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Being on a turbo trainer does nothing for my mental health or my vit D levels so I will continue to cycle and to commute to work on it while permitted.
They are also pretty expensive.
Also those who looked several weeks ago for said turbo trainers (bike group people anyway) struggled to find any at all.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Yes, this is a very good point. I am in Poland and I have never heard of a yard offering DIY, and I believe that it is the same in France. All yards here are 'full care', but including only the carousel rather than lunging or riding.

So if you are in Poland how on earth can you comment so strongly on UK livery yards when all your yards are "full care" but only the carousel rather than lunging or riding.

So in essence you have just admitted to preaching at everyone about items you know naff all about.

honetpot

Visit site
I still would like to know why Prince Charlie and Cam had C19 tests when front line cannot get them
Charles and Camilia their life is also their live in job. They have lots of staff, some older people who they come in to contact with, and old parents which include the Queen and Prince Philip, they are not that young themseleves. Charles last saw his mum on the 12th of March. So it would have been useful to know who they had seen and when as they have seperate engagements, the fact Camilla did not test positive shows that they can not have been to together much, if at all when he was at is most infectious. The HRH's may not mean a lot to you, but to to alot of people, especially the old they mean an aweful lot.
I am far more annoyed with politicans who seem to think that the rules do not apply to them and didn't prepare well enough for this in the first place. The lack of PPE is the scandel, and the unjoined way testing has been handled within the NHS where departments who were capable of doing it, Cambridge has a huge amount of science labs based on the hospital site, were not repurposed. Two tests in comparison is not worth having a dig at two people, did Boris need to be tested, if he had been Joe Bloggs, probabely not, he would just have been told to self isolate.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Charles and Camilia their life is also their live in job. They have lots of staff, some older people who they come in to contact with, and old parents which include the Queen and Prince Philip, they are not that young themseleves. Charles last saw his mum on the 12th of March. So it would have been useful to know who they had seen and when as they have seperate engagements, the fact Camilla did not test positive shows that they can not have been to together much, if at all when he was at is most infectious. The HRH's may not mean a lot to you, but to to alot of people, especially the old they mean an aweful lot.
I am far more annoyed with politicans who seem to think that the rules do not apply to them and didn't prepare well enough for this in the first place. The lack of PPE is the scandel, and the unjoined way testing has been handled within the NHS where departments who were capable of doing it, Cambridge has a huge amount of science labs based on the hospital site, were not repurposed. Two tests in comparison is not worth having a dig at two people, did Boris need to be tested, if he had been Joe Bloggs, probabely not, he would just have been told to self isolate.

Thanks HP, I can see those points. I am glad that the Scottish Health person has had the gumpton to resign as that would have been an achilies heal for this weekend i.e. if you do not practice what you preach.

I also agree with the PPE scandal so is it not about time we backed Britain and got our workforce making these vital pieces of equipment, and as to cost over the far east, this is the chance we can take to start to help ourselves. Do we really care if a garment costs £1 more at the moment if we can a)get it and b) we are putting money into our own Country.

I also do not understand why the front line are not getting routine tests. Especially after the Daily Fail ran the doctor article yesterday, and that shocked me when an unidentified doctor carried on working whilst feeling ill. Now do you a. believe the story or is it made up ? and if it is a factual account then someone should be being brought to account for spreading the virus within the NHS. Not sure myself if it was meant to be a look at me aren't i a hero to carry on whilst if felt ill, but not so ill I needed to be at home. How the flip did she know this and as a Doctor,(if its a true account) why on earth did she carry on working ??

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Its no worse or more difficult isolating for those with a footpath through their land than it is for people who live next to a road!!

Well, yes it is actually. My neighbours have to spend time in their field which the path bisects, because their donkeys and poultry live there, the path goes through a wooden gate from the road and passes their buildings very closely, within touching distance. Yesterday, I watched a family trying to feed the donkeys carrots (and almost getting their toddler kicked in the process). they were not just walking through. Nobody needs to spend time in the road, or even on the pavement except for their own exercise/shopping outings.

scats

Visit site
So people aren't allowed to get lost or go somewhere they've not been before? FFS.

Is this aimed at me?
I didn’t state that people couldn’t get lost, nor go somewhere they have never been. I was just remarking how many people are now exploring areas that they previously haven’t been before. I find your reply a bit rude if it was aimed at my comment as I don’t think I really deserved that.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks HP, I can see those points. I am glad that the Scottish Health person has had the gumpton to resign as that would have been an achilies heal for this weekend i.e. if you do not practice what you preach.

I also agree with the PPE scandal so is it not about time we backed Britain and got our workforce making these vital pieces of equipment, and as to cost over the far east, this is the chance we can take to start to help ourselves. Do we really care if a garment costs £1 more at the moment if we can a)get it and b) we are putting money into our own Country.

I also do not understand why the front line are not getting routine tests. Especially after the Daily Fail ran the doctor article yesterday, and that shocked me when an unidentified doctor carried on working whilst feeling ill. Now do you a. believe the story or is it made up ? and if it is a factual account then someone should be being brought to account for spreading the virus within the NHS. Not sure myself if it was meant to be a look at me aren't i a hero to carry on whilst if felt ill, but not so ill I needed to be at home. How the flip did she know this and as a Doctor,(if its a true account) why on earth did she carry on working ??

I have just heard on the BBC this morning that one of the nurses who died recently, was exhibiting symptoms but went back to work to do an extra shift because they were so short staffed. Her main symptoms was fatigue/aching joints which she put down to tiredness after a 12 hour shift, so she probably didn't even wonder if she had C-19 but the medical staff are working such long hours that their judgement of their own illness is probably flawed.

I heard yesterday that a distant relative who is a paediatric oncologist has had her annual leave cancelled. I know that just before the lockdown, she missed a family celebration weekend (her mother's 70th birthday) because she had to change her plans and go into work. Hospital staff particularly but not solely are all shattered already.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Well, yes it is actually. My neighbours have to spend time in their field which the path bisects, because their donkeys and poultry live there, the path goes through a wooden gate from the road and passes their buildings very closely, within touching distance. Yesterday, I watched a family trying to feed the donkeys carrots (and almost getting their toddler kicked in the process). they were not just walking through. Nobody needs to spend time in the road, or even on the pavement except for their own exercise/shopping outings.

Even our local drug dealer has moved, he used to stand at the traffic lights but he has not been there for a week !

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I have just heard on the BBC this morning that one of the nurses who died recently, was exhibiting symptoms but went back to work to do an extra shift because they were so short staffed. Her main symptoms was fatigue/aching joints which she put down to tiredness after a 12 hour shift, so she probably didn't even wonder if she had C-19 but the medical staff are working such long hours that their judgement of their own illness is probably flawed.

I heard yesterday that a distant relative who is a paediatric oncologist has had her annual leave cancelled. I know that just before the lockdown, she missed a family celebration weekend (her mother's 70th birthday) because she had to change her plans and go into work. Hospital staff particularly but not solely are all shattered already.

It does make you wonder though if we had the tests would many of the staff be at work, thus re-leaving the ones that are working a massive amount of hours and again if we had the tests then the ones that need to be isolating would also know what to do.

Winters100

Visit site
So if you are in Poland how on earth can you comment so strongly on UK livery yards when all your yards are "full care" but only the carousel rather than lunging or riding.

So in essence you have just admitted to preaching at everyone about items you know naff all about.

I kept horses in the UK for more than 30 years, both at home and on yards, so I believe that I am more than familiar with the challenges. I also have immediate family, a business and 16 staff in the UK, so I have a strong interest in the UK situation not getting more out of hand than it already is.

GW, I do not know why you are unable to accept that people feel strongly about the situation that we are in. Everyone is having to make sacrifices, but your sole complaints seem to be about other people somehow having it easier than you, whether it is DIYs being able to visit their horses or the heir to the throne receiving a test. You and I are very different in our approach, because I see such attitudes as childish and small minded, while you see them as somehow striving for fairness. I can only suggest that you do not read anything further that I post since you are unlikely to agree with it. I shall certainly not bother to read any more of yours.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I kept horses in the UK for more than 30 years, both at home and on yards, so I believe that I am more than familiar with the challenges. I also have immediate family, a business and 16 staff in the UK, so I have a strong interest in the UK situation not getting more out of hand than it already is.

GW, I do not know why you are unable to accept that people feel strongly about the situation that we are in. Everyone is having to make sacrifices, but your sole complaints seem to be about other people somehow having it easier than you, whether it is DIYs being able to visit their horses or the heir to the throne receiving a test. You and I are very different in our approach, because I see such attitudes as childish and small minded, while you see them as somehow striving for fairness. I can only suggest that you do not read anything further that I post since you are unlikely to agree with it. I shall certainly not bother to read any more of yours.

Thats the best news I have had all day :) not my fault you have been caught out, as you do not even live in the UK so everything you are peddling is at best second hand.

Michen

Visit site

This paints a picture of it being rather more hectic than it is currently. Both brother and SIL have been redeployed to corona cases (doctors). They are not yet over worked or over whelmed and both are in central London.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
This paints a picture of it being rather more hectic than it is currently. Both brother and SIL have been redeployed to corona cases (doctors). They are not yet over worked or over whelmed and both are in central London.

The girl whom we were reffering too, on the local news had died last week was from the West Midlands, she went to work as the hospital was so short staffed.

Michen

Visit site
The girl whom we were reffering too, on the local news had died last week was from the West Midlands, she went to work as the hospital was so short staffed.

yes, which is not unusual in normal circumstances even before covid 19 within the NHS.

I am merely saying what I know directly from my family who are at the epicentre of this in London, that it is not yet at that point and they are operating within capacity as much as they ever are.

flying_high

Visit site
yes, which is not unusual in normal circumstances even before covid 19 within the NHS.

I am merely saying what I know directly from my family who are at the epicentre of this in London, that it is not yet at that point and they are operating within capacity as much as they ever are.

Michen, is that relating to the specific hospitals family members are associated with? Or is that a broad statement across all London hospitals? (I know all hospitals monitor the capacity of all neighbouring hospitals). Thanks

honetpot

Visit site

I agree as a doctor she should not have been at work, but the reality is unless you know when you have become infected, you have up to five days when you have no symptoms but could infect someone, and there are the 30% who may never get any symptoms, so the damage if was perhaps already done. If someone knew she was ill they should have sent her home.
There is a lot of pressure to go to work, when perhaps you should stay at home. There has long been an attitude that 'ringing in sick' is not pulling your weight or skiving off, in the past I have been foolish to go in to work when I have not been well, usually with tonsillitis when the kids were small. People talk about you when your off sick, you have a return to work interview, which has to be with your line manager, it becomes easier to go in sick than stay at home. I once threw up on the way to work, but still went because to ring half an hour a shift would black list me, so I turned up and said I was not fit to work, so they sent me home.
My friend now thinks she has had CV-19, she works in A&E, she thought she was just tired from working long shifts and then doing some extra days. I really do not have a solution apart from treating everyone staff and patients as if they have it,at all times, like we assume that any blood or bodily fluids could cause hepititis or HIV, but it seems we do not have enough PPE now to do that.
Testing at the moment will ony show if they are negative on the day the test is taken, I have no idea how long it takes for the markers to show in the blood of someone who has been infected.

Gingerwitch

Visit site

There will always be better organised departments even with the same staffing levels and equipment, some teams just click. I hope your family stay safe and are getting all the PPE they require, I just wish we would hurry up and get this testing sorted out, at least you would not be fighting with one hand tied to your left ankle.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I agree as a doctor she should not have been at work, but the reality is unless you know when you have become infected, you have up to five days when you have no symptoms but could infect someone, and there are the 30% who may never get any symptoms, so the damage if was perhaps already done. If someone knew she was ill they should have sent her home.
There is a lot of pressure to go to work, when perhaps you should stay at home. There has long been an attitude that 'ringing in sick' is not pulling your weight or skiving off, in the past I have been foolish to go in to work when I have not been well, usually with tonsillitis when the kids were small. People talk about you when your off sick, you have a return to work interview, which has to be with your line manager, it becomes easier to go in sick than stay at home. I once threw up on the way to work, but still went because to ring half an hour a shift would black list me, so I turned up and said I was not fit to work, so they sent me home.
My friend now thinks she has had CV-19, she works in A&E, she thought she was just tired from working long shifts and then doing some extra days. I really do not have a solution apart from treating everyone staff and patients as if they have it,at all times, like we assume that any blood or bodily fluids could cause hepititis or HIV, but it seems we do not have enough PPE now to do that.
Testing at the moment will ony show if they are negative on the day the test is taken, I have no idea how long it takes for the markers to show in the blood of someone who has been infected.

It is awful especially when you are actually in a place where people get sick. Most work places are the same, but we are not dealing with the sick or those with a compromised immunity. At my workplace even if you keeled over at your desk, they would step over you and then complain that you had died before you did x y or z. One of our new employees went to self isolate on his first day, that was over 3 weeks ago, he has not come back yet and no one in HR can say if he is coming back or not. He cannot have been furloughed because he was not employed by x date, so all he can do is try to claim unemployment.

Michen

Visit site
Michen, is that relating to the specific hospitals family members are associated with? Or is that a broad statement across all London hospitals? (I know all hospitals monitor the capacity of all neighbouring hospitals). Thanks

Across two regarding direct experience- Charing Cross and St Mary’s (both Imperial) though he did say it seemed consistent with colleagues at other hospitals he’d spoken with.

Dusty 123

Visit site
I feel sorry for anyone that can’t see there horses due to the corona virus. Were I live 3 yard was shut down by the police there only 30 minutes form my yard . Luckily my yard is still open to owners.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Going back to turbo trainers for bikes, if you can still get hold of one.

Son no 1 bought an interactive one about a month ago. It cost £180 and is ridiculously good quality for the money. He has his spare bike fitted to it. He is ‘racing’ against fellow users in real time, and the resistance automatically adjusts for hills etc, so it is remarkably realistic.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/tu...rs/elite-novo-smart-turbo-trainer-461874.html

He gets his aerobic exercise here at home (actually in a spare stable/store room) complete with a fan and his laptop. Then he can go out for a walk later with the dog for some fresh air.

ETA He also needed to buy a special turbo trainer rear tyre, but apart from that his spare bike is set up as normal.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
That was my other reason for not wanting to, I don't have a suitable spare :D. I do know some of the boys are enjoying similar/poss the same as your son on their spares though.
My triathlete friends are doing it too so they can then run for their outdoor exercise but they already had trainers.
Currently sat at work in my cycle gear as it doesn't seem worth getting changed for half a day, so long as I don't have to answer the door to too many couriers lol. It was a bloody lovely pedal in though.

wren123

Visit site
Why?

How does any of the above affect you in the slightest?

I agree it puts the people concerned at a higher risk and probably isn't in the spirit of the government guidelines but if they stay 2m apart then so what?

How adults conduct themselves when they are renting a space from you/buying a service is really beyond the limits of what you can reasonably influence

Let me explain, the social isolation is for the benefit of the whole of society to cut down the infection rates of society as a whole so the nhs can cope with covid 19 and also other sick people, not that hard to understand!

wren123

Visit site
Across two regarding direct experience- Charing Cross and St Mary’s (both Imperial) though he did say it seemed consistent with colleagues at other hospitals he’d spoken with.

I'm pleased this is the case at the moment, I've heard this too from a nurse friend in London. However other important tests, operations and treatments are being put on hold at the moment to facilitate this. So we need to stick to the social isolation to keep rates down and help the nhs.

stormox

Visit site
I have a friend who lived in China for 30 years, only returned last year but obviously still has most friends living there.
He says most Chinese officials and ordinary people do not think British and other Western countries have the discipline and respect for orders as the Chinese and think more about ourselves than the State. Therefore we will not be able to obey instructions to the letter and "lockdown" in UK etc will fail....
Maybe he's right according to the differing interpretations on this and other forums...

paddy555

Visit site
Thats the best news I have had all day :) not my fault you have been caught out, as you do not even live in the UK so everything you are peddling is at best second hand.

when you Pm'd me recently about posters having 2 ID's you described "pack mentality" and that now this is the worst you have ever known. That unless you were one of the in crowd you were basically hounded off. You also admitted you did not really like the forum.

Is your above comment the sort of thing you were referring to?

Flicker

Visit site
Being on a turbo trainer does nothing for my mental health or my vit D levels so I will continue to cycle and to commute to work on it while permitted.
They are also pretty expensive.
Also those who looked several weeks ago for said turbo trainers (bike group people anyway) struggled to find any at all.

It’s not really about your mental health or Vitamin D levels at the moment, though, is it? It is about doing what is best for society as a whole. And that means reducing to an absolute minimum the time spent outdoors. It is also about not doing things that could potentially put you at risk of needing the emergency services. So, if it is safer to drive to work, and you have the means to do so, then you should choose this option. I have a beautiful road bike that I am desperately looking forward to getting out on, but I also don’t want to fall off it and need an ambulance. So my OH and I go for a run instead, while I await the delivery of my turbo trainer.

It is incumbent on us all to make the best, and safest, choices for the good of society. Not what works best for us as individuals.

This is a short period of time in the grand scheme of things, and the sacrifices people are being asked to make are far from onerous.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
when you Pm'd me recently about posters having 2 ID's you described "pack mentality" and that now this is the worst you have ever known. That unless you were one of the in crowd you were basically hounded off. You also admitted you did not really like the forum.

Is your above comment the sort of thing you were referring to?

Hi Paddy when I pm'd you, it was to reply to your ask about 2 accounts. some of the others that post on here do,or those that get banned come back as someone else. I have ver been in with the in crowd, and nor am I really bothered about being a yes person. Yes and quote from my PM "I have only come back on due to C19, but i must admit I really do not like the forum as it is, it has changed beyond all belief " which it has, it used to be a supportive place where you could actually have a heated debate with out being called names or ganged up on.

Last edited: