Livery yards in London area

puffthemagicpony

New User
Visit site
I'm considering moving to london, or there abouts, and I need to find a yard, for atleast one horse. I've just done a quick search to get an idea of prices and nearly had a heart attack. Where is the best place for me to look for yards that are cheap as possible but close as possible to London? Outside of London is fine as long as there is still plenty of public transport around. thanks :)

Bernster

Visit site
Agree, if you have more of an idea about which part, that might help folks as there are actually tons of places in and around London. I had no idea until i had a horse just how many!

I can give you recomms for north London, Mill Hill type area, and then slightly further out into South Herts. Public transport tends to be a problem though so that may limit you quite a lot sadly.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Which direction? Lots of people work centrally but keep their horses outside of London. If you're looking north, let us know. There's a ton of us in Hertfordshire.

puffthemagicpony

New User
Visit site
thanks guys, but that was kinda my question :p which area should i look at? im not fussed where but i need to be able to afford it, so where's best price wise? (but i dont want to live somewhere where im likely to get stabbed to death) (no offense)

mariew

Visit site
it's a wide area!, i'm not sure london and horses = cheap. where i've been you'd struggle to find diy for less than 140/month (prob closer to 180-200) have you got own transport for the horse or are you needing to use public transport for commuting and horses? are you expecting to keep them on diy or part/full livery? where in london are you going to be working?

where i am currently is not bad, (north surrey) rents are not expensive, there are quite a few diy yards around (not necessarily cheap yards) commute is zone 4/5 but you'd struggle without a car to get to the horse. the other thing to bear in mind that close to london it's difficult to find ample grazing or yards that will let you turn out 24/7 unless on grass livery

also anywhere around the a3 that is close to a station but you'd need car to go down into surrey.

VioletStripe

Visit site
I'm in the Southern end of London, and horse is based in North Kent.. public transport is okay, and full livery isn't badly priced.. Then again, I am used to London prices... :eek: xx

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
It is very doable by public transport if you don't mind the time but what you need to bear in mind is that a train out to the yard could be between £5 and £10 per journey. I moved my horse out of London to Herts not to save money, but to get better grazing and riding country.

SO1

Visit site
It is doable but the problem with public transport is that is it not 100% reliable and if you need to work it might be very tiring to go to the yard twice a day and work giving yourself enough time to not be late for work due to signal failures etc as well as getting back to the yard in time for bringing in the winter if you are 100% DIY.

I work in central London and keep my pony on grass livery in herts though he does have a stable as well and I go on public transport but it takes an hour and half from work to the yard including walking. If there is a public transport melt down or I can't get to the yard I know that YO does go down and make sure everyone is ok and also we can pay a lady to go and feed, pick out hooves, check rugs etc for £5 a day.

I pay £140 a month except in winter when we pay £170 and this includes hay in the field. We also can order feed and other items from the local tack shop which get delivered once a week to the yard.