Livery Yards in Newmarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

emily128

New User
Visit site
Hi there,

I am due to imminently move to Exning, just outside Newmarket.

I've had the luxury of keeping my neddy and his shetland companion at my parents farm for the last 15 years but the time has come to fly the nest and my new house is just too far away to be able to keep them there.

I'm moving to Exning, just outside Newmarket in Suffolk. Does anybody know of any decent livery yards there or near there? I work full time in central Cambridge so needs to be within a distance of being able to go before and after work without travelling silly miles!

My main concern really is that it is safe, secure, well supervised and has good hacking. Not too bothered whether it has all weather schools etc as we are really just happy hackers nowadays. I'm happy to go DIY but as I sometimes go away with work would be nice to think there might be staff and/or other liveries who I could pay to do them for a few days. They have been used to being out 24/7 in the summer and in at night in the winter...but they have both previously wintered out 24/7 before and are very (very!) good doers.

Although they can stay at my parents farm for as long as it takes me to find somewhere obviously I would like to get them moved with me ASAP! Although not what I would like, if there was only space for one then the companion shetland could probably be sold....(wouldn't want to though!)

If anyone has any ideas or contacts I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks
Emily

emily128

New User
Visit site
Thank you - appreciate that! Knew that Newmarket was a non-starter, I'd rather not have to go out Ely way as just don't think I'd get there before work. I'm keeping everything crossed I find something in Exning but nobody seems to advertise and I'm sure there'll be huge waiting lists

beeswax

Visit site
really sad and callous to say you will just sell the companion shetland who has been exactly that for 15 years a companion, couldnt they be in a box together if you found a place with a big enough box to take two, also search for "field to let in newmarket" i found some on the net at a reasonable price with stables.

GLEEK

Visit site
There are 3 good yards in Exning. No yard in newmarket areahas 24/7 turn out but these are the best yards in the area.

I will PM you and give you directions to them all.

Also there are NO fields to rent in newmarket. Grazing is fairly difficult to find. Another good option is to call into or phone Gibsons or Horse Requisits in Newmarket as they know everyone

Last edited:

emily128

New User
Visit site
really sad and callous to say you will just sell the companion shetland who has been exactly that for 15 years a companion, couldnt they be in a box together if you found a place with a big enough box to take two, also search for "field to let in newmarket" i found some on the net at a reasonable price with stables.

Excuse me?? How dare you call me callous!! Can you not tell from my post that I am trying to do the best for my ponies!? Perhaps you may not have noticed that I've actually said I wouldn't want to! You may live in a world where money is no object but unfortunately having had the luxury of keeping my ponies for "free" for the last 15 years, it will be a stretch enough to pay to keep one at a decent livery and I challenge you to find me a yard that wouldn't charge me double livery to keep two, even if they did share!

I would much rather know that a pony who I have had, loved and cared for for 15 years can go on and live a happy life with a nice family than be squashed into a stable with a pony twice his width and size or worse, isolated out in a cheap field open to the elements. Yes he has been a faithful and loyal companion to my pony for 15 years and do you not think it would break my heart to have to sell him? But this is the real world and for me, money does not grow on trees, and if it was a choice between him living in some random cheap exposed field found on the internet, or going to a nice family where he can be spoilt by children and continue living in luxury....then I know what I would prefer.

Your post has really upset me in what is going to be a very unsettling time for me, so thank you very much :(

To everyone else, thank you for your help - it is much appreciated.

Last edited:

beeswax

Visit site
Dear OP

Thank you for PM me personally, but i also feel that i should post here for the whole forum to see, if you want to join a forum you must be prepared for anyones opinion whilst you might like it or not, we not all the same or think the same, whilst we still share the same interests being horses.

If you read your post again you will note you said you would SELL your lil companion shetland (who you have had for 15 years) so one is guessing he/she is now about 15-18 years old, and if you read all the daily posts on H&H about horses going missing on load/sent to slaughter - i know of a field of shetties when the owner died the field owner sold them all to slaughter, yes i drove past them every day of the year for 5 years, they became part of the scenary, so pardon me for saying that i feel your casual way of addressing the situation was a bit callous (there are so many so called good homes out there????)

If you read the final part of my post i did actually advise you that i had searched the net and found fields with stables available and also suggested they be in a stable together. Such is life we all have to deal with it. I wish you lots of good luck it would be sad to seperate them. If i could only win the lottery i would buy lots and lots of land and help everyone who was looking for a home for their horse/pony but sadly winning the lotto seems to be out of reach.

beeswax

Visit site
I didnt say squashed in a small box, i said if you could find a big enough box, surely they would also be out in the field, my 15hh cob and mini shettie have had to share a box before and you know what they got on fine, each learned to respect the others space, rather that than have to get rid of the lil one. I also live in the real world, money doesnt grow on trees and whilst you have had the pleasure of not having to pay for yours for many years, there are thousands of us who have had to pay for ours for many years, so welcome to the real world!!!!!

emily128

New User
Visit site
I didnt say squashed in a small box, i said if you could find a big enough box, surely they would also be out in the field, my 15hh cob and mini shettie have had to share a box before and you know what they got on fine, each learned to respect the others space, rather that than have to get rid of the lil one. I also live in the real world, money doesnt grow on trees and whilst you have had the pleasure of not having to pay for yours for many years, there are thousands of us who have had to pay for ours for many years, so welcome to the real world!!!!!

Suggesting I would send my dear little pony to slaughter is just utterly ridiculous - where on earth has that come from??

Like I said in my PM, you know nothing of the situation, and your pointless ramblings are absolutely no help whatsoever. So, I'm not going to dignify your contradictory and completely irrelevant reply with any further response, which has absolutely no bearing on what this post was about, so I would appreciate it if you remained off this thread from now on.

Once again, to those of you who have contacted me with useful information, thank you very much x

emily128

New User
Visit site
You are clearly either very young, mid twenties and about to leave home or are very thick.

You are deliberately - due to your immaturety trying to pick an argument by finding something to dislike in my post instead of taking it with the good that was intended by it. (Next time I will say yes just sell it because it doesnt mean anything anyway and you dont need the extra expense and you really will only have the time to look after 1 horse instead of two and forget about how they will feel by being seperated after so many years and hey they are only bl***dy horses - does that make you feel better????)

I did not refer to you sending your shettie to slaughter, that was merely a mention of what could happen when we send our horses to those "good homes" and then find out that something sad has happened to them, anyway I shall not bother to continue with this post as you do not deserve any help from others, best ask mommy and daddy to do it, they have obviously been doing it for you all your life.

As much as I'd like to, I am going to be the bigger person and not respond to your rude and offensive post. As before (which you chose to ignore), please do not comment on my thread again.

Thank you for the further PM's and information from some helpful members!

Status
Not open for further replies.