Livery Yards - Is the grass always greener?

katie_southwest

Visit site
Ok so Im thinking of looking around for somewhere to move my mare to.
Current yard..
Pros
10 mins drive from home/15 from work
smile.gif

Get on well with everyone at yard (as well as you can at a yard)
smile.gif

My mare is happy there (although would be happy anywhere that had grass I expect)
smile.gif

Direct hacking onto Dartmoor
smile.gif

YO feeds in mornings if we leave feed made up
smile.gif

Cons:
My stable floods so she cannot stay in overnight (she currently lives out 24/7 but could not come in if she needed to)
frown.gif

We have no running water at the moment so have to lug big buckets from the river every day, when it rains hard the river water is brown
frown.gif

We have no school
frown.gif

I just really dont want to move and regret it..I guess you never know until you try somewhere else though!
A lot of places do not let you keep them out 24/7 thats the problem I have - I dont want her to be in at night when she doesnt need to be
crazy.gif

Also I am a livery yards nightmare in the fact that I work 7 - 3 shifts or 2 - 10 shifts - so would need assisted DIY or part livery but different each week as my rota changes weekly
frown.gif

Thats why I like where I am as we can come and go as we please, and the morning feeds are done for us, which makes so much difference!
Anyone moved and regretted it??

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
No, I don't think that the grass is always greener. Having said that - if you have a problem with your stable (which you pay for) and no one is fixing it for you - then I'd be looking elsewhere too. It's such a shame, because you sound as if you're happy there.

However, It would be a very useful excercise to go and look at some other yards to see what they offer. And I don't think you sound like a nightmare at all. Provided a yard offers assisted DIY then there is no problem.

Angua2

Visit site
I would have a look about as it would appear that you are paying for a facility that is unusable. It is either that or ask for a rent reduction

Stoxx

Visit site
I would have a look around if I were you, you never know what you might find.
I never thought I'd move my horse but I have just done so and he seems very happy and the yard is just perfect. I hope we'll have many happy years there.

katie_southwest

Visit site
Yes I am paying for grazing and a stable - which I cant use. She can go in during the day for a couple of hours but would be impossible to stay in overnight.
It is a shame because with a bit of TLC it would be a lovely place but YO is a typical old farmer - lovely man with lots of stories and knowledge
smile.gif
But not the best at actually fixing or doing things
frown.gif

skewby

Visit site
No harm in looking around, I think. I've moved twice now, and am VERY happy where I am. Been there nearly 3 years now!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
As a YO I could not take money off you for a stable if you cannot use it. All your bedding will be wet and it is not suitable for a horse. Nor is it acceptable to have to carry water from a river for your horse. Have a look round - I have a yard and DIY livery where i turn out all the horses in the morning and am happy to bring in if needed. your requirements are no different from some of my clients and I am sure other yards would fine your needs fine. Several yards do seem to take the mick - charging for services they don't supply. I personally would look round, see what is available for the price you pay - and rate that against what you currently get. Then see if the grass is greener. I suspect in some cases it will be - in others it won't

katie_southwest

Visit site
Yes, thanks bosworth I think Il have a look around at some places just to see what they charge and what I get etc.
Its not even that bedding will get wet as she doesnt even come in overnight shes a tough old mare
grin.gif
But if she was injured or something she couldnt come in..which isnt really acceptable. As for lugging the buckets of water..Im getting lovely toned arms!
smile.gif
But an aching back so not good
frown.gif

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Katie - if you are paying for a stable it is yours to use when you want - and mine have been in in some of this rain - just because they want a break from it - I also have no idea when I might have an emergency - so I need my stable. you are quite right to be concerned. I suspect there is also a bit of being taken for granted - we had to have a new mains pipe to the house a couple of weeks ago - that meant we had to cut the yard and stables off for 24 hours. I filled water butts for every horse, I made sure all the stables and fields had plenty of water. I cannot understand how the farmer has stopped your water - or why it is taking time for it to be reconnected - you are probably too easy going
crazy.gif

katie_southwest

Visit site
Yes we are all too easy going actually
crazy.gif
Apparently there is a leak..but also the liveries say he did this to them one winter and it was a nightmare
crazy.gif
I am going to have a chat today about sorting my stable out, the water I can cope with for the minute but Polo got mud fever last winter so is going to have to come in for some of the winter to try and prevent it this year
smile.gif