Livery Yards: Time/Cost vs Facilities?

R2D2

Visit site
I'd go for the closer option. I have my horse a few minutes drive from home, and I can't imagine how you fit in a 40 minute round trip every day along with everything else.

JFTDWS

Visit site
The only thing that might sway me away from the closer option is the all weather turnout - depending on your soil type and drainage, that can be a godsend. If I thought ponies would end up stuck in during next winter at the closer option, I'd continue to drive further and pay more. If they'd still get plenty of turnout, and not on an absolute mudbath, I'd move in a heartbeat. I'd always rather have good hacking than an indoor, storage is a double edged sword (I tend to hoard if I have lots of space!) and a solarium is neither here nor there for me.

dixie

Visit site
I did a similar move to you last year. Was 20miles away but now 2miles. The only downside is that I don’t have a school now which is a big drawback but other than that definitely no regrets. If I was you I would definitely move.

tatty_v

Visit site
So long as the turnout at the closer yard is manageable all year round I'd move :) I have my horse 5 minutes from home on a pretty rustic yard, but we have great hacking, a tired but useable outdoor school and 24/7 all year round turnout if you want it. I'd sacrifice a lot of the swankier add-ons for that! As I work long hours I think I'd really struggle with a longer commute to/from the yard.

atropa

Visit site
Just an update for everyone who gave advice, I have decided to move to the closer yard :) I went back to have a second look at the weekend and made up my mind. And will have a little shed for storage to organise how I like which is a bonus.

xDundryx

Visit site
Just an update for everyone who gave advice, I have decided to move to the closer yard :) I went back to have a second look at the weekend and made up my mind. And will have a little shed for storage to organise how I like which is a bonus.

Sounds like it's all working out, good luck with the move x Just to add we've been at our new close yard for just over a week and the difference in fuel/free time is amazing!

tankgirl1

Visit site
What about fellow liveries? (Sorry, haven’t read all the replies if already covered.) I wouldn’t sacrifice a friendly, easy-going yard for the sake of being closer to home but with unknown liveries.

Likewise, and probably more important, the same would apply to the YO/YM obviously.

If all is equal, or there are people on your current yard who are problematic, I’d move.

That would be a dealbreaker for me. Been on closer yards but the people there made it a nightmare. Now approx 6 miles away from home but the yard managers and fellow liveries are all brilliant and it makes SUCH a huge difference

tankgirl1

Visit site
storage is a double edged sword (I tend to hoard if I have lots of space!) and a solarium is neither here nor there for me.

Haha! First yard I was on I had loads of storage. I have been amazed just how little stuff other people hoarde since I moved :p