Livery yards what do you need to have

TwixMum

Visit site
I'm looking at moving yards and looking at what facilities I need to have and can do without.

We either seem to have expensive full livery yards with indoor walker indoor stables etc to diy yard with sand outdoor arena outdoor stables and not really much else but considerably cheaper. They are also closer driving wise.

Partner and I are looking to get a mortgage soon so any extra savings would be great but I'm wandering if I wiill not enjoy having an indoor etc especially since we are coming into winter

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
It depends a lot on your situation, but I think for a lot of people, a floodlit school is a must. If I was looking, I'd want decent turnout, a floodlit arena with a decent surface and at least a few poles/jumps available, and I'd want there to be a safe and secure place to store tack etc. as I can't take it home. Good hacking is a bonus, nice to have but I can manage on roads etc.

Having an indoor is great, but I don't think essential. I sacrificed an indoor when I moved yards a few years ago and I have never once regretted it as new yard is amazing and both horse and I are so happy there, I sometimes wish we had one, but it's a small price to pay :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its whats important to you. For me its road hacking, a flood light school that I am allowed to drive in, a large field with an unever surface also to drive in, somewhere to store my carriage and a flat yard surface with fields close by as I'm disabled and walking is very hard for me on rough surfaces, I cant cope with mud either as my legs arent strong enough to walk in it. I'm not interested in a horse walker or a XC course etc. I do love my individual tack room, and the fact we have a huge round bench and table in the middle of the yard. The only thing I would like is a wash box, but we have two hosepipes so thats just a would quite like not a need or miss thing

asmp

Visit site
We are at a very cheap DIY at the moment that doesn't even have a school. We use one of the fields in the summer and if we want the use of a school in the winter there is the option of boxing up and renting somewhere.

Another thing to think about is that one yard I was at had a lovely big sand school but it turned out to be useless when it was very cold as the sand froze in ridges making it unusable at the times we couldn't hack out as the roads were icy.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It depends so much on priorities for you & your horse.

I need:
*Good turn-out all year around in proper groups rather than individual in pens
* Allowed to use your own choice of vet/trainer/farrier & anyone else.
*Good hacking & easy access to off-road hacking
*Floodlit sandschool

In roughly that order. I had an indoor sandschool years ago, but haven't missed it! If it's raining I just put waterproofs on. I'd rather have good hacking than an indoor sandschool.

I'm now on DIY livery on a working farm. It doesn't have fancy facilities, but it does tick all my boxes as you have the option of 24/7 turn out February/March until November-ish and daily turn out in the winter. They are all out in a big herd, which is perfect for my horse and his needs.

We have off-road hacking on the farm estate (about 30 miles or so in total) but also easy access to quiet country lanes to get onto the neighbouring farm estate, heath and forestry. We can also hack easily to an equestrian centre that holds shows, clinic and hire of their indoor arena, SJ courses & XC course.

There's a floodlit school too with jumps & in the summer we use a field to use as a jumping paddock.

In an ideal world I'd have purpose built outside stables rather than inside a converted barn, a bit more storage (although we all have individual lock up containers) and slightly smarter facilities.

But, it is what it is & my horse has never been happier :) My friend & I both left our previous yard at a similiar time & have ended up on totally different types of yard but herself & her horse are very happy too!