Living out/Competing from the field

4faults

Visit site
Does anyone do this? I am after advice from anyone who's horses live out 24/7.

I am having a bit of a dilemma and would really appreciate some advice please. I have been offered a field to rent and Im very puzzled over what to do for the best.

I have two 17+h warmbloods who have always been stabled throughout their ridden careers but I am hoping to get them out competing this year. I have always been on yards where horses are primarily stabled with some turnout during the day and Im wondering how I can make them living out work with this. There is apparently a field I could ride in when the weather is good and with the money I would save on livery I could afford to hire arenas a couple of times a week but is this really feasible? There would be no access to stables at all but there are several livery yards in the area in the case of an emergency.

I only want to do prelim/novice with my girl this year, she is a nut so im thinking living out could take the edge off her, and OH's horse, who drops weight at the blink of an eye, will be doing BN/Disco so not exactly big leagues but I can I keep them out 24/7 and ride less often and expect them to be able to compete? Also my Section B is coming home in the next few months and I really couldnt afford 3 on livery.

That is all a bit muddled sorry but I have been thinking about it all day and my head is hurting!! Tea and biscuits available to anyone whw can offer their experience or advice

jacksmum

Visit site
I competed my stressy TB from the field and he loved it. My present boy (TB) is also out 24/7 and he also thrives on it.
Also i think its a plus if you hire out venues as it gets them used to schooling at strange places.

Lolo

Visit site
Reg (16.3hh TB) competed from grass all of last summer and was very well off it.

299543_1968261725764_1219588210_31760105_1099854702_n.jpg

(He was going into a howling gale with awful drizzle, hence the hugely unimpressed face!)
307351_1968259845717_1219588210_31760099_1916325561_n.jpg

This was him coming to the end of a very busy season, all done off grass. He had never looked as well, and was performing brilliantly. It also really helped him relax!

4faults

Visit site
I know I'm flapping and it is doable I think I'm just more worried that there's no hardstanding at all so tacking up and washing etc could be interesting. I think it will do the horses the world of good though

Lolo

Visit site
We did have access to an bit where we could wash him, but he's a handy shade of brown all over so didn't beyond washing him down, which was mostly done by throwing buckets of water over him as he pratted about on the end of a leadrope... All good practise for at comps :D

carthorse15

Visit site
My horse lives out 24/7 in a beautiful field but with no access to a shelter/stable/hardstanding. In the past I always had use of a stable/hardstanding and don't now - its driving me totally mad!!!!!!!! Simple things like having somewhere to put horse for farrier, vet, dentist, storing brushes/hay etc - that is undercover in case of weather or incase horse decides to be a total plonker! If you could build some kind of field shelter or something then I say go for it, my horse is very happy - its me thats not!

Business

Visit site
I know someone who did Badminton from the field- her mare wouldn't stay in and she even got permission to electric fence an area at Badminton to keep the horse out in overnight because the mare literally wouldn't stay in.

I know others who event from the field. I have SJed from the field in summer but all had access to an arena.

Actually as a child I used to SJ affilaited from the field and usually got placed and I didn't have access to an arena then. THe chap that took me used to SJ his horses from the field with no arena too but we would do 2 sometimes 3 shows a weekend and went schooling most Thursday evenings to an indoor.

I say go for it and see how it goes. It's possible and will save you a ton of money.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Have done up to intermediate ODE from the field; also, know someone who keeps hunters out on Exmoor 24/7 just bringing them in the night before for a tart and titivate.

floradora09

Visit site
I've got access to an arena so not quite the same, but I usually compete my boy from the field. I say usually because on occasions I'll keep him in the night before if it's a horrendously early start (think leaving at 5am for dressage areas) or if I'm worried he'll pull a shoe off (has been known for farrier to come out at 7am to fix him up just before we load up!).

This aside, I find it works really well, and he certainly stays less stiff, and also there is more money left over for lessons/competing too.

I'd say you'd be fine- just do lots of hacking to keep them fit enough, and that way your 2x a week arena hire can be used for targeted schooling rather than to keep them fit. :)

4faults

Visit site
Thanks everyone this is all really encouraging, I think I am going to go for it, I am going up on sunday to have a proper look in the daylight and go over everything. I am actually pretty excited and it will free up funds for more training and shows :)

Loch Ness

New User
Visit site
I am in the same boat i need to decide what to do with my horse when i move, there is a field next to my new house that i could rent, i could section some of it off and buy some second hand jumps, and maybe put a mobile field shelter up as well, there is a college near by that i could go to have lessons and compete, but would riding in the winter get hard? or i could put him in a competition yard thats almost 300 pounds a month for diy, the thing i don't like about the yard is 1. its expensive and 2. on this diy yard i cant pic my own feed bedding or if i have hay or haylage. i am independent and dont like some one telling me how to do my bed, when its me doing it.

So its nice to know that some people do compete from the field :)

OFG

Visit site
Read some years ago about an international level dressage rider who keeps all her horses out 24/7 unrugged and barefoot. Can't for the life of me remember who she is though, sorry.

Would have thought if you horse is happy then go for it.

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
Have heard Carl Hester say (on video sadly and not in person) that he keeps all his younger Dressage horses out in a herd situation so they can just be horses. I think it was the 4 and 5 year olds, but please don't shoot me if I am wrong. Being in Australia, I don't really feel qualified to answer this question. My Warmblood was on 24/7 turnout, as was my Thoroughbred and as will be my next Thoroughbred. It's a great way to keep horses sane.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
4faults - If I had the opportunity, I would rent a field for my two (although it seems my competing days are over!). I think it will do the horses the world of good - you just have to ride them when they look like they've been dragged through the hedge backwards, so looking good goes out the window............good luck if you decide to do it - you'll save a fortune!

Sunshine

Visit site
We are in North West and although we have 6 stables,mains water and hardstanding ours are out 24/7 including the night before shows/ponyclub/dressage etc, we have a menage too but never bother with it unless the grass is too slippy.
If you are worried about some hardstanding try to get some 2nd hand flags from one of the free ad papers and sink a big post in to tie up.
The only thing i would say is when you go to see the field check it and the surrounding area to see just how boggy or clay based the soil is.

4faults

Visit site
Some great advice everyone thank you so much. I am going to have a proper look on sunday, the main things im concerned about are getting them fit with no arena and the security of the field, I will learn to live with them being messy ;-)

Zimzim

Visit site
Through the spring/ summer/ early autumn the horses on our yard live out 24/7 and still compete from Riding Club Level up to Afilliated BD/ BE/ BSJA and never have any problems. They appear much calmer and quite settled being honest.

They live in at night in winter, but out during the day.

I'd say give it a try, and you'll be surprised how well they cope! :)