Living trailers

Truenorth

Visit site
Please help! I have a car that can tow up to 2250kg and my pony is 370kg. I'm in need of a living trailer but the star treka is too heavy and show treka is a little small. Cheval liberte living is too heavy . Are there other options out there ?

jenni999

Visit site
Is it just for changing/storage or actual sleeping in? I have an IW 510 with one horse and I just use the other side for storage and changing.

ROG

Visit site
Please help! I have a car that can tow up to 2250kg and my pony is 370kg. I'm in need of a living trailer but the star treka is too heavy and show treka is a little small. Cheval liberte living is too heavy . Are there other options out there ?
http://www.chevaltrailers.co.uk/trailer-living.html
The living from cheval is only 1070 empty so why is that too heavy?

PS - I assume you have a B+E on your driving licence?

Last edited:

Truenorth

Visit site
Hello - thanks for all replies so far! I did check the cheval liberte site which says 1070 kg - http://www.chevaltrailers.co.uk/trailer-living.html. However this is the information I've received from the kind chap who was about to sell me the cheval liberte ...."
You will need to have a car that will tow 2500kgs - otherwise it will not be legal and could make your insurance invalid. The plated gross weight of the trailer is listed at 2500kgs so no matter what a horse or pony weigh, the towing vehicle must be plated for at least this amount irrespective of the unladen weight."

ROG

Visit site
Hello - thanks for all replies so far! I did check the cheval liberte site which says 1070 kg - http://www.chevaltrailers.co.uk/trailer-living.html. However this is the information I've received from the kind chap who was about to sell me the cheval liberte ...."
You will need to have a car that will tow 2500kgs - otherwise it will not be legal and could make your insurance invalid. The plated gross weight of the trailer is listed at 2500kgs so no matter what a horse or pony weigh, the towing vehicle must be plated for at least this amount irrespective of the unladen weight."
INTERNET MYTH ALERT - again !!

There is no law or rule which states the MAM of the trailer must not be more than the recommended towing capacity of the vehicle = FACT

I had a feeling that was coming - LOL

Truenorth

Visit site
Hello ROG. I'm a bit bamboozled by all the jargon I'm afraid! I passed my test in 1994 so I'm an old law licence holder. I'm driving a 2009 volvo xc90. I'd like to buy the cheval liberte living trailer. Please help this total newbie with anything I need to know! I'm with M&S insurance - are they good with towers or is there a better insurance company out there? Assume I know nothing cos I don't! Ta muchly xx

ROG

Visit site
Hello ROG. I'm a bit bamboozled by all the jargon I'm afraid! I passed my test in 1994 so I'm an old law licence holder. I'm driving a 2009 volvo xc90. I'd like to buy the cheval liberte living trailer. Please help this total newbie with anything I need to know! I'm with M&S insurance - are they good with towers or is there a better insurance company out there? Assume I know nothing cos I don't! Ta muchly xx
I can only help with the legalities of the licence and MAM weights etc

You have a B+E as you passed car test before 1997

A legal example of what you do ...
Vehicle
GVW 2750
Towing capacity 2250

Trailer
MAM 3500
Empty 1250
Max load 1000 - 1250+1000=2250=max towing capacity

Use the lower figure of either the trailer MAM or towing capacity as the max the trailer can be when loaded

GVW and MAM mean the same thing - the max they can legally be when fully loaded
Max towing capacity is set by the manufacturer to what they determine their vehicle can tow safely and within the vehicle design specs

mjcssjw2

Visit site
what do you need, I have a sink and cooker fitted in the front of my ifor 510, think it would also fit in a 505, a camp bed will fit in one side of the 510. porta loo in other side. Also have a battery and internal light fitted.

Truenorth

Visit site
He is now in possession of an Ifor Williams circular copying a VOSA memo saying that its the vehicle combination which is important. I'm on a mobile at the moment but I will upload it when I'm back in front of my desk.

Truenorth

Visit site
To be fair to him he's just a private individual, not a dealer! And he was relying on what his neighbour - a traffic officer - had told him.

Truenorth

Visit site
To be fair to him he's just a private individual, not a dealer! And he was relying on what his neighbour - a traffic officer - had told him.

ROG

Visit site
Traffic officer either did not explain correctly or the chap misheard or misinterpreted what was said

Unless these things are explain simply and with detailed clarity then its easy to mess up what is and is not the law