llamas v alpacas

happyclappy

Visit site
i have always had a yearning for these cute animasl. trouble is, when i see aplacas i prefer them but when i see llamas i prefer them. i would love to own some but am unlikely too, but was interested to see if anybody here has either and what you made you choose one over the other.

JLD

Visit site
We have alpacas, they are smaller so easier to handle and spit much less. We have 3 castrated boys. Don't know if llamas need less shearing though. Ours need doing each year and we do it ourselves they look ridiculous but feel much better. Any one who worries about their horse tramlines should see what you can get with 4-6" of fleece when they are evolutionary programmed to lie down at times of stress ( they are not the brightest !). Ours are hucayas - the shorter curly haired type, suris have the longer dreadlocks type fleece and I think only need shearing every 2 years..

JLD

Visit site
My pony is out with my alpacas, has bonded brilliantly with one of them with whom he happily shares hay nets and they have been seen mutual grooming on many occasions. If the vet is seeing my pony his alpaca friend hangs over the yard fence supervising !

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would love some alpacas but I have been banned by MrGS.
The first time J saw one he got such a fright he fell down .

JLD

Visit site
My OH is fine with pigs, alpacas etc but has inexplicably gone absolute that we are not getting another small pony. Is totally implacable. He is usually so easy going about everything animal I feel I have to respect it even if I don't agree. I did put my foot down when he seriously wanted a cow !!