Loading - follow-up to previous post!

ecrozier

Visit site
Just had to post to say thanks to all who offered me advice previously regarding my 'stubborn' loader - and in particular to one very kind forum member who came out and helped me (you know who you are!).
It was absolutely amazing! With 15 minutes of groundwork, and a rope halter, he loaded within 10 minutes the first time (usually at least 20 minutes, foot by foot), 5 minutes the second time, and now he trots up the ramp!!!
No whips, no chifney, no lunge lines, nothing.
And so far, touch wood, he has been 100% as long as he is wearing the rope halter. Its not a dually or anything, just a very simple rope affair.
We had tried all sorts of bribery and other methods in the past, but this NH method really did the trick.
So many thanks again!! And to anyone with a tricky loader, this is well worth a try!
cool.gif

ETS Re the groundwork - I had never had any trouble with him leading or anything before, but just a few simple exercises that he picked up really really fast seemed to make an amazing amount of difference!

the watcher

Visit site
Emma..the rope halter is a bit like Dumbo's feather (but for you, not for him) and i promise he will bounce up the ramp in a headcollar..or even with no rope at all
wink.gif

if only they were all as intelligent as your horse (says the woman who spent HOURS at Tackley trying to load a difficult pony which was either very stupid..or just too clever for its own good, haven't worked out which)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
My difficult loader is too clever for his own good.

Try without the rope (and mine is literally a piece of sash cord tied like the old jute halters) and he plants, any sight of lunge lines or whips and he rears, panics and has gone over before now. Produce the rope and he sighs, stands like a lamb for you to put it on under his headcollar (given he's very head shy this is a very strange thing for both of us) and then follows meekly up the ramp even though you are only holding his headcollar rope, nothing attached to the halter.

So glad to hear that you've got it cracked though!

sarah07

Visit site
Please can you tell me what you did and where to get one of the rope halters from, my mare has started to be very difficult to load, we have tried the feed in bucket, lunge lines etc and she will eventually go in after about 30 mins and a few helpers, any info that you can give would be great as she is a very strong 16.1 mare that you cannot tell to do anything but always have to negotiate with!!

the watcher

Visit site
April, the halter is the Richard Maxwell halter, also sold as a slip halter..you can find them on the Intelligent Horsemanship site (I think) or copies on ebay whch are made of cheaper rope but still do the job.

BUT, and this is really important, this is not just another means of winching your horse on to the lorry/trailer. To use one of these properly you need somebody to show you some simple ground exercises to get your horse following willingly and stopping on your command so that leading on to the ramp becomes just a progression of that trust. The halter helps to focus the mind of the horse, but that is all. Used wrongly it could cause horrible pain and reinforce the concept in your horse's mind that the lorry is a scary place to be resisted at all costs.

I learned from a professional horse transporter who in turn learned with Richard Maxwell and we went from a mare that would rear and fight to one that would follow on to the trailer even without the rope - that is the sure sign that the horse trusts you. I only use feed (treats) as a reward once on if necessary and not as a lure whenever possible.

You need to find somebody near you to SHOW you this and be prepared to take a day when you have no deadlines and can just keep walking on and off the transport, and to an extent keep up the training so occasionally load the horse and make a big fuss of it, and unload straight away.