Loading help needed

HJ77

Visit site
Can anyone recommend someone who can assist with loading instruction in the Staffordshire area. Our mare is a sweetie but really stubborn to load. No shenanigans she just stands on the ramp and won’t move!! Tried everything ( humane of course) but can’t get her to go on fluently! Desperate to get her out and about seeing the world but her resistance is making this very hard.

Laurac13

Visit site
The intelligent IH trainers are very good there is a list of their trainers on their website with contact details and a couple cover Staffordshire

bubsqueaks

Visit site
My Irish Cob was the same with planting at the ramp - I bought a Richard Maxwell halter & read his book - it was all about getting her forward, listening, & obeying, before presenting to the ramp so lots of working on a small circle, forwards & backwards, then present her to the ramp & worked for us - most times she loads okay but I always load her in the halter with headcollar underneath so if she ever plants I quickly work her for 10 minutes or so & works everytime.

HJ77

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses these are very insightful and useful.I’ll take on board the tips you have found useful bubsqeaks. Thanks all

oldie48

Visit site
I've also had great success with the Richard Maxwell halter but you do need to do all the ground work before using it to load. However, I found it worked best with horses that ran backwards or sideways rather than the "planters", who you definitely need to keep moving. Good luck but sorry I can't recommend anyone apart from RM.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’ve had success with the TRT method of doing it with mine who was like this, but would also rear and throw himself back if you put too much pressure on the front end. But like anything else, the groundwork needs to be in place so they understand what you’re asking.

Mine still isn’t perfect when he’s stressed/anxious (but if he’s calm he’s great, and even when he’s at his worst I can still get him in within 20mins). I found it works better for planters because it focuses on movement and putting pressure from “behind” rather than pulling.

But also lots of good recommendations above for IH trainers, which I’ve used in the past for a previous horse and was very useful.