Loading onto DAF lorry

Charlotte R

Visit site
I'm thinking about buying a DAF lorry. But it looks like a really high ramp to load up. And how do horses travel in this sort of lorry, it looks high up and like it might roll? Has anyone experience of this please? Thanks

Spottyappy

Visit site
It’s not the make of the chassis (lorry), it would be the way the body is built on it.
A near vertical ramp is asking for disaster, imho.
Need a picture to give an honest answer,however.

Bernster

Visit site
I had one a few years back. It obv depends on the build but I had no issues with rolling or ramp and loading. It was fairly typical of these 7.5t types as they do have quite a long ramp and some have either a large step at the bottom or top of the ramp. I do think they are more challenging if you have a difficult loader but other than that it was a good basic box.

Watch the payload as those with a lot of living can have a far lower payload than you’d expect.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a 12.5 tonne DAF, it was a lot higher that equivalent ones. It did not roll side to side at all, but did front to back.

The steepness of the ramp was adjusted a bit by having a step at the bottom (legs on the ramp) so they had to step up onto the ramp, but even then the ramp was steeper than average.

The box was FAB for over 10 years, but in the end I got a new horse who did find it too steep. I did a load of work but he did slip and scrabble a few times and he lost his nerve.

Got him a smaller 7.5 tonne DAF and that was perfect. That one was on air suspension and still had no rock and roll.

Louby

Visit site
As others have said, it wont be the chassis but the build. Ive had a few different makes of lorries and most have either a step up at the top or 'legs' on the ramp at the bottom which lessens the slope of the ramp. None caused any issues to the horses. I did however view one which had neither and was steep, too steep IMO. Please check the payload if the one you are viewing has plush living. I heard of one that was almost 7.5t without any horses in, a very expnsive mistake for the poor new owner :(

Charlotte R

Visit site
The lorry I've seen looks beautiful. But I hadn't even thought about the pay load and whilst one Horse loads easily the other is tricky. It's a shame because they seem like an easy lorry to maintain. Thanks again