LOAN - for those who loan a horse or have one out on loan

For those who have a horse which is out on loan...

- How much contact/involvement do you have with the horse?
how often do you visit?
- How often do you expect updates?
- Do you go to watch the horse compete and do you expect to be told when it's competing so you can go (not neccesarily 'you WILL tell me when competing' but more of a friendly agreement?
- Assuming the welfare of the horse is good how much say do you have in how it is looked after?(the extra's ie. if it can go out at night / whether it's clipped or not etc etc

For those who have a horse on loan...

- How much involvement from the owner do you think is normal and therefore accept?
- At what point do you get p*ssed off and think they are being unreasonable?

thanks

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have a horse on what could be termed 'informal' loan. The horse is owned by the YO of where my horse lives. I pay for shoes and feed only - and this does not include hay.

I am free to do what I want with the horse within reason and see her twice a day - morning and evening.

However, this situation is slightly unusual. YO is also a very good friend who happened to have a spare horse so was happy for me to take it over for six months or so before it starts its competative life as an eventer next Feb.

ihatework

Visit site
I have had a few horses on loan and have also put one out on loan and tbh I had no really bad experiences.

The current horse I have started as a loan but has effectively been given to me. The person I got him from is a very experienced horse lady and well known in the eventing world.

She saw me ride once and met me once, never inspected where the horse was going and has not visited once and I have had him for 3 years now! I am in contact with her and maybe email her once every couple of months, she never initiates contact with me.
To an outsider it would probably seem very dodgy but she said the first day she met me she had a good gut instinct about me.

The horse I loaned to some people I half knew from the past so I was fairly confident he would be treated correctly. I drew up a long contract with them and visited the horse about 4 times in 6 months, at which time they bought him.

I would personally be cautious about loaning to a complete stranger and would in that instance get references from their vet and livery yard owner and any previous loan horse owners. I would also visit unannounced fairly regularly.

In answer to your specific questions:

- - How much contact/involvement do you have with the horse?
how often do you visit? A fortnightly email or phone call. Visit less regularly.
- How often do you expect updates? As above
- Do you go to watch the horse compete and do you expect to be told when it's competing so you can go (not neccesarily 'you WILL tell me when competing' but more of a friendly agreement? I would expect to hear how horse has got on and if I wanted to watch would ask them to let me know when horse was next booked to compete.
- Assuming the welfare of the horse is good how much say do you have in how it is looked after?(the extra's ie. if it can go out at night / whether it's clipped or not etc etc
- Anything I had a specific issue with I would state up front before the horse was loaned and have it written in agreement. Other than that its up to the loaner.

- How much involvement from the owner do you think is normal and therefore accept? Would be happy with what I have described above.
- If Ts & Cs change from what was agreed and in the contract

burtie

Visit site
I loaned my mare Hannah out about 4 weeks ago. I have visited her once since to check she had settled in and am going to check her again this weekend as the intial month trial will be up. The girl has phoned me about once a week to let me know how things are going and they are planning there first pleasure ride this Sunday. I have asked her to let me know how she gets on competing, but have promised not to go and watch the first few times at least as I think this is a bit nerve wracking for the poor loaner.
grin.gif

I don't actually plan to visit that often once the trial is up as I feel it is important to let them get on and build their own bond without me interfering. If I didn't trust the girl I would not have let her have her. We have a detailed contract signed and witnessed so she know what she can and can't do.

I shall probably visit about once a month for the next few months and then less often if they both seem happy with each other.

Any care requirements are in the contract but are limited to must do only, anything else is up to her as far as I'm concerned.

juliehannah58

Visit site
I have recently taken another horse on loan, but have loaned my own horses out before so know both sides of it.

My last horse I had on loan, the owner was very experienced and had several out on loan, she was also a good 1hr 45mins drive away from us, so I kept her informed with emails and she came down about twice a year to see him compete etc.

My new horse is a bit different, the lady is local-ish and this horse was her first horse so she is very attached to her. For the first couple of weeks I got emails from her most days and she came to every show. Which is fine for me as this horse was given to me to compete and I was competing it for her before I took it on so am used to her watching me! LOL. Recently she has eased off a bit, she has a young family and also works so I think she is suddenly feeling the benefits of having more money and time etc. Which is nice because I would ideally like my own space with her. I don't ask her if I can take her to a show, but I always let her know if we are planning to, but as I said, that's why she is with me so it might be different to others agreements. I asked her if I could clip the horse out, but only because it's quite early, a month or so I would have just done it.

The owner has been quite intense up until last week which was OK for me, although I'm glad of the breather now if that makes sense?! I realsied it would ease off and it has so I'm happy with that.

The only thing that would annoy me, would be if she started turning up at my stables unannouced, as I have my own private land I won't have anyone there while I'm not.

Hope that helps, any more questions please ask
smile.gif

Henmen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

- How much involvement from the owner do you think is normal and therefore accept?

[/ QUOTE ]

My horses owner has virtually no involvment with me, and i like it like that. Of coarse i would tell her if anything serious happens, but i dont call her otherwise, and she doesnt call me. I think a monthly update via email is acceptable. Anymore would pee me off. After all if she doesnt trust me, she would let me have a her horse would she??

the watcher

Visit site
I have one on loan as a 'permanent' arrangement. The owner lives several hunded miles away and comes to visit twice a year on average. We are hoping to do some bigger shows next year and if she qualifies I would invite the owner to any shows higher up the levels as I know it would give her huge pleasure to see her horse still doing well (had a 2nd nationally in M&M as a three year old so is possible)
I send her photos from time to time. This arrangement works for us and she trusts me to take care of her horse. I would, of course, contact her in the event of any major problems or decisions.

hmm yes i see what your saying but i'm about to put my horse on loan and the reason i'm asking is nothing to do with how much i trust them because i do - if there was the slightest doubt in my mind about them they wouldn't be having her. The reason is that i've had her since she was a baby (10years now), i love her to death and she means the world to me and i would like to keep some contact with her!! i want to know what she's up to, how she is etc. I think that the people that are having her suspect that i want to be kept in the picture etc just from meeting me and seeing me with my horse!!
But i think the amount of involvement that I would go for is a bit unfair on them - i know that i've got to let go a bit and let them enjoy her so i want to get an idea for how much i can call/e-mail/visit etc before it gets tedious!!!
I think it also makes a difference that i'm loaning her because i don't have enough time and not because i'm getting another so i won't have a new horse to occupy me and take my mind of her - this will be the first time i've been horse-less in a very long time!!

She is a competition pony and is going to be such so of course i don't expect to be asked evrytime they take her to a show but i'd like to know so that i can watch if i'm around!!!

She is a very good pony and was going to be leased and the reason i'm loaning her instead is so that i can have a little say but i'm now realising what a fine line there is between caring and driving the loaners mad

sammys ma

Visit site
I have a horse on Loan from "KatB", a forum member on here.....I found her horse for loan on here funnily enough!

I've had the Bob on loan for almost a year now...and everything has been great between all 3 ofus - No problems atall!

Unfortunately, we do live a good couple of hours apart from each other, so we dont get a chance to catch up with each other in person as much as we woud like......but we are regularily in contact via email, text and this forum
grin.gif

KatB never interferes or is pushy in any way.....but has a healthy interest in Bob's welfare and what things we've been up to.....and likewise, I will let her know if there are any problems we encounter, and ask her advice on various things. I also let her know when Bob's being a cheeky monkey and doing things like jumping out of the School from a stand-still, so he can visit the mare he fancies!
smile.gif

KatB knows that she can come and visit me any time she likes, and if she wants to borrow Bob to go on any exciting adventures, eg. hunting, and that she is more than welcome!

She has her own youngster now who takes up her time, and i would love to go and watch them to progress together.....she is a fantastic Horsewoman!

Oh..the only thing is....she can't have him back! EVER, EVER, EVER , EVER.....
grin.gif

Henmen

Visit site
Like i said, a monthly email or call is fine, i personally wouldnt want her owner checking up on me every other day, id just end up sending it back, i would just think they they didnt trust me.
As for visits, i think every 6 months is enough, again, anymore would feel untrusting.

I cant imagen what its like letting your horse leave you as ive never done it, but you have to let go and let her new 'owners' enjoy her without the worry of 'oh am i doing it right or XXX will complain'.

And dont just turn up, give the a few days, and make it very informal, perhaps go out for lunch as well.

And dont get narky if they do things like want to change her feed or something, talk it over, but let them decide (unless you know itll kill her LOL!!). In fact, i didnt even consult my 2 horses owners when i changed there feed!! They didnt mind, in there eyes as long as they were healthy & happy, it was fine.

ihatework

Visit site
No No No ... I would never be like this if I loaned a horse to a complete stranger, I would only be this relaxed if it was someone I knew well and trusted of if the 'stranger' had had the horse a while and I was completely confident in their abilities.

There are too many people out there who talk the talk and know begger all, horses get sold under the owners nose, get ruined by rubbish riding or by awful farriers.

I would never give 3 days notice to someone (early loaning to a stranger situation) - it's amazing what could be covered up in that time.
I'd call the night before, ask what time was convenient for the next day and turn up an hour early to get the true picture! If the loaner is genuine they won't mind.

vicm2509

Visit site
When I was younger (aged about 13 to 16) I had a few horses on part loan and the last one was on full loan. I signed a contract etc and paid for everything for the horse besides insurance. The contract basically stated I had sole control over the horse and would pay for any damage to the horse or property of the horse which were caused by me.

The horse had a cough which according to the owner it had had it for 8years. Then one day the owner took the horse for a hack without my permission and it came back very lame. She argued that it was lame before she took it out (but still managed a 3 hour hack!?!) and said she would call the vet to look at it anyway. Vet came, confirmed it was an injury incurred by riding, also diagnosed COPD and guess who paid the bill....me.

So due to the owners negligence, I paid a nice vet bill, a horse which was lame for 2 months, had to change all the bedding from straw to hemp which is something that should have been done 8 years ago.

After 3 months my mum bought me my own horse. I would never loan a horse again. I do know people that have horses on full loan and have no problems at all, but my bad experience has put me off.

i would want to visit monthly!!! Surely they will understand that i do trust them but that this horse has been my best friend for ten years and the reason she's not being sold is because i can't just say bye to her and that's that!!!

i don't think i will be funny if they do things like change feed etc because that is not why i will be visiting to check on things likethat.......as long as she is healthy and happy then i will be happy!!! As you say i don't expect to be consulted about every little decision - the big ones of course but i just want to stay in contact with my friend!!!

i really trust these people and i'm not sure that i will make really short notice visits/go early because to be honest the biggies like bad farriery/poor condition etc can not be covered that quickly (i'd give say 1 week notice - not 3!!!) and i know this horse so well, i can read her like a book so if she is not happy in general or doesn't like the people i'm sure that i'd pick up on it quickly!!

as for the riding - she is going to a very good rider but she can be a very tricky horse - she is however very talented and has a very good record and i would be gutted if she got ruined, this is one of the reasons i want to watch her be ridden at shows - she is going to them as a top class competition pony and i expect her to come back as such!!!!!

allijudd

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For those who have a horse which is out on loan...

i dont-
i do

- How much involvement from the owner do you think is normal and therefore accept? <span style="color:green"> rowans owner comes over 1ce a week to see her other horse on loan here and to drive but bless her socks she never interferes and says she loves the way i look after rowan..apparently never looked better and there is the fact that i have noticed probelms and are sorting them...also if we need something she would buy it (but i never ask!) and she brings lots of apples over every week. she loves it here so much she is thinking of buying somewhere close by!</span>
<span style="color:green"> havent reached that point yet but have expressed my concerns over non trimming feet and worming and such like which she has accepted and has no probelms with... </span>

<span style="color:green">imho you should have a loan contract (we have!) this would make sure of the boundaries! </span>

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
- How much contact/involvement do you have with the horse?
how often do you visit?

Generally not often, we tend to leave loanees to it. Perhaps this is our problem...

- How often do you expect updates?

Both loanees have been friends of mine, so frequent would be nice.

- Do you go to watch the horse compete and do you expect to be told when it's competing so you can go (not neccesarily 'you WILL tell me when competing' but more of a friendly agreement?

I'd love to have seen either girly get competed, so yeah, would have been nice. I think one loanee would have told me anyways, we went to school together.

- Assuming the welfare of the horse is good how much say do you have in how it is looked after?(the extra's ie. if it can go out at night / whether it's clipped or not etc etc)

We do nothing, its up to the loanee - but if we feel that the loanee is going against the best wishes of the horse then we'll have them back before you can say boo.