loan pony with ill fitting saddle

Op_al12

Visit site
In April I got a full loan. We went to try her, she was quite lazy in the school and was mainly used as a happy hacker. obviously, you can't be too fussy about full loans as (ponies especially) are quite hard to come by. however, the lady gave us a different saddle to what we tried her in when we confronted her about it, she just said that that was the saddle fitted to the pony (she also said that she was loaning her pony because she couldn't afford it, but we later found out "she couldn't get her going"). I have been schooling her and hacking her. We went through a phase where she wouldn't even walk around the school, I thought she might be in pain (flicking tail, ears pinned, throwing head when asking for a faster gate). she then got a little better but has got worse again. I checked her saddle and noticed that panels were very hard and lumpy where the filling had moved. I want everyone's opinion on what to do now. Should she be paying to sort this out? (she has offered to sell her but we said we will wait and see) thanks

ihatework

Visit site
It would be nice if she did but I wouldn’t take it as a given. FWIW I’ve loaned a couple of horses in my time that arrived naked! I just bought them a saddle that fitted.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It completely depends on your loan agreement. I have several customers who have loaned a pony out and had it as part of the contract that the saddle is checked, by me, every six months, whereas others end up in your situation. I would express your concern to the owner and see what she says but you're probably on your own. If you can find the cash then obviously get it checked and reflocked as soon as is humanly possible, and you may even need to replace it, a good used leather saddle might even make you money, especially if you can get the fitter to recommend something that you can source yourself.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I agree it's variable, we had a loan horse for a year but from someone we knew fairly well. We all agreed current saddle didn't fit and it was making the riders uncomfortable too and we had a discussion about costs as everyone knew loan likely to be temporary/1 year.
At the time we had a local guy who always carried a fair stock of 2nd hand, the old (it was actually pretty old too!) saddle got traded in, new better saddle got bought.

If the owner thinks it is fine I would probably pay for a pro opinion then contact them again

Is she better bareback?

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you've talked to her about it and she's not inclined to help with money then I would be tempted to see if you can find a quality second hand saddle which fits and you can sell when the loan is over.

Talking to the farrier yesterday about how a badly fitting saddle can cause dropped heals and poor feet I wouldn't mess about for the amount you'd lose on a second hand saddle.

honetpot

Visit site
When I loaned my ponies they went with tack that fitted. The last one I actually bought a new secondhand saddle because the saddle was too small for the rider. TBH if its a really good pony you have got a good deal, and I would just get another one. If its a good brand they hold their value.

Equi

Visit site
I would not think the owner would pay out for a saddle tbh. I think you should let them know that you plan to get a fitter and new saddle, but that you will 100% be the owner of said saddle and it will not go back with the pony. If you have a written contract, aim to get it amended to put this in and have them sign it so in the future they don't say "it was bought for the pony therefor it belongs to him now"

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’d expect to buy, and retain ownership of, a different saddle for a horse I had on loan if the supplied one no longer fitted.

I have been the owner bitten after buying 3 new saddles for my horse over the course of the loan period, and having the loan abruptly terminated just after the purchase of a new £2.2k Equipe... I did keep the saddle.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I had my older boy on permanent loan for several years before I was offered the chance to buy him, and in that time we went through 2 saddles as well as buying him a fairfax bridle. It wouldn’t have crossed my mind to ask the owner to pay for it, although had they ended the loan anything I’d bought would have stayed with me and he’d have gone back with his original belongings.

That said, I’d be a bit cautious of spending too much on a horse whose owner’s first response to a minor issue is to say they’d sell. I’d worry I’d invest in the horse only to have it taken from under me, although I guess that’s always a risk with loan horses.

charterline

Visit site
Just get a saddle fitted properly yourself.
Tbh I’d expect the loaner to be paying to get a saddle check done every six months or so anyway, so you won’t be spending money on this that’s “extra”.

if you pay for the saddle then it’s yours to sell if the loan pony goes back to owner

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Talk to the owner as you want to make sure they understand that you genuinely care about the wellbeing and health of the pony. But don’t expect them to buy you another saddle or replace the one you have.

You are merely seeking permission to get a professional out and potentially buy a new saddle for the pony of which you will retain should the loan terminate.

Shay

Visit site
Echo all of the above. Buy a saddle yourself that fits. Well known makes hold thier value well and if the loan ends then you should be able to re-sell with little loss. Saddles have to fit both the pony and the rider.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'd buy a second hand saddle for the pony, which you can sell when pony goes back. I'd also be inclined to put a small sum of cash away, so next time the owner (there will probably be a next time) mentions selling the pony your in a position to offer X which would save them the hassle of advertising etc. Then you have a pony which will increase in value as you school it to benefit you rather than someone else's pockets.

Op_al12

Visit site
thank you for all the replies! I think we are definitely looking to buy her. However, the price the lady has offered us is including tack so do you think it would be fair for her to reduce the price if we gave back all the tack (we have bought her a new bridle) as then we could use the extra money for not buying her to get her a new saddle.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
thank you for all the replies! I think we are definitely looking to buy her. However, the price the lady has offered us is including tack so do you think it would be fair for her to reduce the price if we gave back all the tack (we have bought her a new bridle) as then we could use the extra money for not buying her to get her a new saddle.

Fair doesn't really come into it, yes of course you'd hope that the price would be lower but it's down to the two of you to agree on a price, obviously you don't want the saddle and you can make that clear, but it's probably worth very little, and usually even less when sold with a horse/pony.

Leandy

Visit site
Just buy the pony a new saddle that has been properly fitted to both the pony and you. The saddle will of course belong to you. Free loan of a pony is a massively good deal in any event, even more so if it is one you would be prepared to buy so don't quibble about it.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Right so this is what I'd do; if you like this pony then I would take a punt and make a cheeky offer.

If owner baulks at it, then you could say well look the saddle patently doesn't fit and it'll cost such-and-such for that to be remedied...........

Poor pony is all I can say, shame on the owner for letting it go out to someone with a saddle that is obviously of such poor quality and was bound to have caused a problem somewhere along the line.

Griffin

Visit site
Right so this is what I'd do; if you like this pony then I would take a punt and make a cheeky offer.

If owner baulks at it, then you could say well look the saddle patently doesn't fit and it'll cost such-and-such for that to be remedied...........

Poor pony is all I can say, shame on the owner for letting it go out to someone with a saddle that is obviously of such poor quality and was bound to have caused a problem somewhere along the line.

I would probably do this too. I have loaned horses and ended up buying them a new saddle because the previous one didn't fit. I have also bought a horse that came with tack and replaced the lot within a month because it was ill fitting. It can be expensive but the veterinary costs caused by ill fitting tack will soon mount up.

I would explain the saddle situation and make an offer minus the cost of a saddle. If the saddle she came with is properly repaired and a good make, the owner may be able to sell it on anyway.