loanee refusing to pay to return my horse

minx123holiday

New User
Visit site
Advice needed,
My horse is currently on loan and now the person who has him has stated she no longer wants him, and is refusing to pay to send him back to me as per agreement.

Is there anything i can do without involving a solicitor?

spike123

Visit site
I would think it would be rather costly to pursue the amount involved. I would think it would be easier for you to arrange to collect the horse yourself too.

Silent Knight

Visit site
If you have a written agreement stating she should pay the cost, I would tell her in writing that that you will collect the horse and she can pay cash on the day or you will invoice her with the cost.

If the invoice is not paid, you will take her to the small claims court and she will be liable for the cost of transport and the additional court costs.
Should work unless you have moved further away and then she could contest.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Not sure why they are giving loan up but it might be a financial one so can't afford to return your horse - if it were mine I would definitly go pick it up!!

LaurenM

Visit site
I'm confused - she wants to return your horse yet you want to turn up unannounced...I don't see why it can't be amicable. People's circumstances change. Mark it up to experience - at least it won't be at the detriment to the horse.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OP you don't say how far away your horse is from you and what travelling costs are involved, BUT I know blimmin well what I'd do if it was my horse. If the loaner is quibbling about just one aspect of the loan agreement then that would be enough for me to get him back PDQ.

I had a (sort of) similar experience; I put my boy out on loan; and the loaner basically hadn't done her sums and five weeks into the loan she said she couldn't afford it anymore and could I take him back please. She'd basically defaulted on the livery payments; and to save embarrassment I paid for his livery from the date on which she'd informed me that she wanted to give the whole thing up, until I could get him back to my yard (had to build another stable!!! - hence the delay).

So I went up and collected him myself (friend's lorry, I paid for the diesal). Better that IMO than to leave your horse in an unsatisfactory situation.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I would arrange it with the loanee to be honest as well, especially if they have the horse's passport as that will be needed back to remove the horse.

Tammytoo

Visit site
You could collect the horse yourself and then pursue her through the Small Claims Court for the cost involved.

If you ring your local County Court they will explain the process.

I think your priority should be to get your horse back, so I would inform the loaner (in the presence of a witness) that as she is unwilling to return your horse as per contract you will be arranging to collect the horse.

Once you have your horse safely home, you can then decide whether to go ahead with the Small Claims action.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Why do you have to go unanouced? Arrange to pick your Horse up and take an invoice with you. If it is written in the contract you could force her to pay, however that will probably cost more then the Horses travel expenses anyway. I would collect Horse and chalk it up to experience

minx123holiday

New User
Visit site
i would never ever loan again! you carnt trust anyone, since she has had him 4 months only his weight has dropped he has ringworm he is living outside when i was told he would be stabled at night i am so angry that someone could do this to him.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OMG. Just get him home PDQ and worry about the rest later.

As soon as you get him back to your yard, get your vet out and ask him/her to make a full assessment of his condition and recommended treatment, THEN send an invoice to the loaner asking her to please settle the account in full within say 28 days and also any outstanding amounts such as transport costs. Then if she doesn't, say you'll go to Small Claims.

Though unfortunately, it may cost you more than its worth to do so - that's the problem. Sorry can't be more hopeful for you. But think you have to get your boy back ASAP.

I'd never loan again either. My boy was sent off with a lovely full mane and tail even though he's got sweet itch; within a fortnight his mane was rubbed bare coz someone "forgot" and turned him out without his sweet-itch rug. Not amused. He's back at my yard now and I'll NEVER let him go out on loan again, so sympathise with you OP.

flowerlady

Visit site
Forgot to mention I have taken a company (years ago) to the small claims court and won. I didn't attend and apparently neither did they. I wrote it all down. A cheque arrived from the court a week later including all costs:)

Meandtheboys

Visit site
i would never ever loan again! you carnt trust anyone, since she has had him 4 months only his weight has dropped he has ringworm he is living outside when i was told he would be stabled at night i am so angry that someone could do this to him.

confused.............surely you should have terminated the contract and collected immediatly - no idea why you are quibbling over travel costs

pixiebee

Visit site
agree with others, just go get him back. It will cost more to take her to court and could take ages anyway. She should have stabled as agreed but in ll honesty, I dont think the horse having ringworm is her fault, it is one of those things.

Natz88

Visit site

If this is the case, sod the contract I would be collecting my horse asap. Just put it down to bad experience. Hope you get him home soon!

JingleTingle

Visit site
Really finding it hard to sympathise with you - You state that you KNOW your horse has lost weight, has ringworm, is living out when you stipulated he was to be stabled at night. Instead of arranging to pick your horse up at the soonest opportunity you are on here quibbling about the loaner not reimbursing you for the cost of transportation.

So who is concerned about the horse here -nobody by the sounds of it.:mad:

minx123holiday

New User
Visit site
the agreement was for her to have a year loan so could could save to buy him, she has decided she will keep him for her pleasure in the summer than get rid at my cost the cheeky cow! whats amicable about that?

JingleTingle

Visit site
the agreement was for her to have a year loan so could could save to buy him, she has decided she will keep him for her pleasure in the summer than get rid at my cost the cheeky cow! whats amicable about that?

Oh for heaven's sake, yet another they said, I said - if you care about your horse just go and get it home. the loan has backfired, learn by it but dont let your horse suffer from it?:rolleyes:

dunkley

Visit site

I don't quite understand this. You said she has had him for four months - that would be October, November, December and January. Hardly the Summer. That notwithstanding, you sound more upset that she wants to send him back than for the welfare of your horse. Get him back, sort him out, and stop worrying about who's diesel it is.

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com

So if she'd have come with the money to buy him would you be complaining? Even though he's not being looked after? If i was you id be happy my horse has had a lucky escape at being sold to an unsuitable home, id be going for him asap and put the whole thing down to experience not worried about the cost of picking him up!!!