Loaning a horse that goes lame..advice pls

scrumpygus

Visit site
I have a loaner for my horse that has recently gone lame - my loaner does 2 days per week and pays me a set amount each month toward her cost.
She has been lame just over a week - (having the vet out today) but unlik but what happens in these situations - should i give her a bit of her money back as im sure she never wanted to just come down to muck out which is all shes done for her last few days - or is this just part of loaning and should she just accept that these things happen? Or do i just carry on say nothing unless she does? Any thoughts/opinions will be appreciated x

abracadabra

Visit site
as you say,things happen, id jsut leave it and say nothing. when i didnt have my own horses i was perfectly happy dogsbodying for those who did, just to be near horses, shes probably the same.
give her a couple of extra days free when horses well again?

scrumpygus

Visit site
Hi - thats a really good idea actually thanks i think i will offer her a few days when shes better - thanks x

LadyRascasse

Visit site
no i wouldn't give her any money, loan is an easier version of owning, sorry but horses aren't machines things go wrong from time to time and you need to take the good or the bad or not bother at all.

however if this lameness is going to be ongoing for a while (i.e 3months) i would come to an arrangement where she still does the horse on her days but doesn't pay. that way you are getting the break and she is still caring for the horse

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
No I wouldn't give her any money back. As someone else says, it's all part of having horses. My loan horse (though I full loan rather than share) has just gone lame and needs his hocks investigated further. He can't be ridden ATM but I wouldn't dream of asking his owners for money back or them to deal with it as he's gone lame in my care.