Loaning a horse who pays for what?

BBD

Visit site
Hello - am loaning and wondering if I am being too soft!!!! Should I be paying for my horses routine care, like chiro/saddler and rugs while she's on loan???? I have a BHS agreement but the standard one doesn't stipulate about these types of things just simply that the loaner should keep th ehorse in good condition at own cost.

Friends tell me I am mad to be paying for this???

PorkChop

Visit site
Well strictly speaking its what you agreed with the owner when you took the horse on loan - but usually - as EKW has said - a loaner pays for everything :)

BBD

Visit site
sorry i havent made it clear i am the owner and i am asking if i should be paying for the horse while it is on loan? sorry!!!!

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I have a horse out on loan and I chose to keep the insurance going - they pay me a token amount towards it. Other than that they are responsible for everything, vets, routine stuff etc. I sent the horse kitted out with tack and rugs. I expect to get the horse back similarly kitted out with allowance for wear and tear. They are expected to replace and repair anything required during the agreement.

Mrs C

Visit site
Totally up to you and the loaner to agree! But typically, I would expect loaner to pay saddle fitter, back etc and would only be buying rugs myself if they were to be returned with the horse and was a short term loan x

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
When I am loaning I pay for absolute everything ongoing.

I have one that I am loaning out, and the loanees pay for everything bar insurance. I still pay that because pony is a veteran and I don't want to move her from current policy which she has been with for some years, and gives her good cover.

Embo

Visit site
When I had a horse on full loan, the owner paid for insurance only.

I paid for everything else, including the cost of transport to get him to me. If I purchased anything new for the horse (which I did, like saddle, bridle & rugs etc) I kept it when the loan ended. The horse went back with everything he came with.

russianhorse

Visit site
When I took my boy on loan, I paid for absolutely everything - feed, livery, tack (because what he had was ill fitting), rugs, insurance, farrier, vet etc

That's the point of loaning, the loanee has a horse that they haven't had to find the initial outlay for

BBD

Visit site
What does it say in your loan agreement? The BHS draft loan agreement can be personalised in any way you choose, so long as both the loaner and the loanee are happy with the arrangement.

Who currently pays for vets fees, for instance?

It says-
provide day to day care to the Horse, including the provision of an adequate and suitable diet, stabling, bedding, grazing and environment and take all reasonable care to maintain the Horse in good condition at his/her own cost;

They pay insurance. I suppose it depends what you class as good condition, perhaps i should have directly stipulated that.

Umbongo

Visit site
It depends on what you and your loaner have agreed on. There is no right or wrong.

When I have loaned I have paid for everything, however the owner paid the insurance. I have loaned once where I paid livery and owner paid shoes, dentist, wormer etc as they wanted to and that was what was agreed. But the norm is they pay everything.

Umbongo

Visit site
nothing was i thought the norm was the loaner paid for everything unless otherwise stipulated.

Yes the norm is the loaner pays everything. But it is not the general rule, the finer details such as insurance, physio, rugs, repairs etc are something that you and loaner should have made an agreement on. As in my experience, Some loaners pay for absolutely everything, whilst sometimes the owners are still happy to pay for bits and bobs.

Is your loaner not happy about paying for these things?

Firefly9410

Visit site
Hello - am loaning and wondering if I am being too soft!!!! Should I be paying for my horses routine care, like chiro/saddler and rugs while she's on loan???? I have a BHS agreement but the standard one doesn't stipulate about these types of things just simply that the loaner should keep th ehorse in good condition at own cost.

Friends tell me I am mad to be paying for this???

Saddle reflocking I would pay for, new saddle also but that would be mine to keep when horse returned to owner. Routine saddle checks no I would expect owner to pay. I do not have routine checks on my own horses.

Rugs I would buy if it came with none and keep them when horse returned to owner. Also if horse came with expensive rugs I would buy my own cheaper so as not to be responsible for replacing expensive rugs if wrecked. Major damage or heavy use to a horses original rug, cleaned and repaired. Light use or minor damage, returned as is.

Chiro prescribed by vet following injury not a problem. Routine chiro because owner wants it, they can pay. My horses do not have routine chiro.

If a loan horse came with a contract stating I had to pay for all that I would say no thanks and find another loan horse. Normally the loanee pays everything but it depends what each person considers to be everything. People have different ways of keeping horses and different ideas of what is necessary.

Last edited:

Silmarillion

Visit site
I have a horse on loan to me. He came to me with an injury that requires medication, therefore the owner pays for that (wouldn't have had him, otherwise). I pay for everything else - vet, dentist, saddler (must remember to book saddler, come to think of it!) He arrived with two rugs, tack and a headcollar. I've bought him more rugs and tack out of my own pocket.
I agree that it depends what you have in your agreement / if you're not sure, you should discuss it. However, as a loaner I think that part of the "keeping the horse in good condition" is supplying extra rugs, some care such as a physio / chiro when needed, etc.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Completely depends on the loan agreement. My mother loans my old girl, and I pay maybe 90% of the bills and the insurance. But it's really to protect my mother from herself. She lives hand to mouth as it is, and if I didn't pay, she'd get a horse anyway and get herself into debt doing so. This way, she is doing ok, and my old girl is in a home I trust. But it's a unique situation. Most other loans I would expect the loaner to pay according to the agreement.

Thriller

Visit site
Loaner pays for everything after they take it unless the owner is the one who wants something done that the loaner wouldn't necessarily need (i.e. a membership to a society the loaner would not be showing with or attending anything to do with but owner still wants horse registered)

TGM

Visit site
Generally the understanding that if a horse is on full loan then the loaner pays all the care costs, unless there is something to the contrary in the loan agreement. However, I suppose things can be get a bit muddled if the owner and loaner have different ideas of the care required, especially if this has not been clarified before the horse went on loan. So, say the loaner thinks that horse doesn't need physio on a routine basis, but the owner insists the horse should have a physio check every six months, then I can understand a situation could arise where the loaner might well say 'well you pay for it, then'.

We currently have a horse on loan to us at the moment and pay all the costs for him, and when we have loaned ponies out the costs have always been paid by the loaner.

NikNak1

Visit site
In my opinion it would depend a bit on the circumstances i.e. if I was insiting that the horse had regular chiro/physio visits every so many weeks more my own peace of mind then I would be happy to pay for it. However if the loaner is saying/requesting that the horse needs some physio/chiro for maintanance/a specific problem whilst in their care then I would expect them to pay for it. For saddlers I would expect them to pay for an annual visit at least, again if I was requesting particularly frequent visits then I would expect to pay for it, similarly if they wanted more regular visits I would expect them to. In my opinion it would boil down to whether it is something that would be done anyway (which I would expect them to pay) or something that that I was wanting as an 'extra' which I would personally be happy to contribute towards unless it was agreed as part of loan agreement.

Dusty85

Visit site
When Ive had a loan before, Ive paid for everything. Insurance, worming, livery, back, saddler etc etc.

Surely thats the deal?

With regards to the owner insisting that the horse has its back/teeth done etc and therefore paying for them, surely you would only loan to someone who was happy to take these- very routine- costs on too?

Possum

Visit site
I pay absolutely everything for my loan horse - insurance, vet etc. He came with a bridle but no saddle and a couple of rugs, we've since bought him more. We loan because he's a horse that we couldn't have afforded to buy, and I like the security that if we have a serious change in circumstances he can go back to his owner rather than the heartache of selling.

BBD

Visit site
Interesting i guess it goes to show you cannot expect anything and should always write these things down to the letter. i dont think there will be an issue but you never know and was just checking my agreemtn to see what it said and realised it was very broad spectrum.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If the horse has a pre existing condition that requires certain procedures or medication, and that is known and agreed then this can be put in the loan agreement.
The loaner may be asked to insure for vet fees, but then may not bother, or even take one out and cancel it, so this is why many owners would insure the horse themselves, but they can always ask for payment.
If the loaner decides to use physio or similar [and this must be vet agreement, by law] then one would imagine that is is part of the agreement, most loaners would pay for it.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
When Ive had a loan before, Ive paid for everything. Insurance, worming, livery, back, saddler etc etc.

Surely thats the deal?

With regards to the owner insisting that the horse has its back/teeth done etc and therefore paying for them, surely you would only loan to someone who was happy to take these- very routine- costs on too?

Yes, but one can never be 100% sure unless you pay for it yourself. The loaner may not have purely financial reasons for loaning, so it does not matter if she wants to lay down certain conditions, then that is her prerogative.
Unless the horse stays in your yard you will not know what is happening day to day.

Last edited:

BBD

Visit site
Thats right bonkers, you never know really if someone will do it or someone wont do it no matter what they are saying!!!!

popsdosh

Visit site
They pay insurance. I suppose it depends what you class as good condition, perhaps i should have directly stipulated that.

You should pay the insurance for your own protection even if you pass the cost on the policy should be in your name!!