Loaning an 18 yr old-insurance

siennamiller

Visit site
So, hopefully I am getting a really lovely gelding on loan to showjump. He's a lovely chilled out boy, has jumped up to 1.20, and has been placed at hickstead, and she's happy for me to jump up to 1.15 with him( well, as I'm jumping .90/1m, I think we'll be ok with that-lol)
Anyway, I have looked at various insurance quotes, one is normal ( no age thingy) at 571, and one is a veteran policy for 279, but is for accidental external injury only.
My thought is that I should take the more expensive and more comprehensive cover, any thoughts?
Thanks

Leo Walker

Visit site
Hes on loan go for the more expensive one. It sounds a lot more when you compare the yearly price, but wont be that much more monthly. You might find its a condition of the loan that you pay all vets fees. Its always something I have put in my loan agreements, and in most cases I have insured the horse and the loaner pays me back the premium

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
KBIS do a good veteran policy. I took it out last year when my horse was 18. A month into it my horse was badly injured & they paid out without any hassle. They only over a percentage of the claim so I was still out of pocket but it was a big help.

PorkChop

Visit site
I would be inclined to take out the more expensive/comprehensive one too - unless you have the money to cover permanent injury or death. What does the owner think? He sounds fab, hope you have fun with him :)

siennamiller

Visit site
I took out the full cover, just to be safe.
He's really sweet, lovely nature, he's jumped up to 1.20, and won at hickstead, apparently an excellent derby horse.
Owner said I can jump up to 1.15 with him, but as I have been jumping british novice I think we may be a while off that. Looking forward to some adventures with him.
Having a lesson tomorrow, so we we will make a plan for first show :)
Will keep you all updated