Loaning "deposit"....

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
of the loaner is happy its nothing to do with what i think. i didnt have anything from my owner, i got my saddle altered to fit her, had bridle and rugs so only had the horse, didnt have that amount of money laying around so it would have been a no if my owner had wanted any...and before anyone queries how would i pay the vet, i have plenty of credit cards so vet fees were covered..

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks guys. The reason I asked is because my friend has not been sure if this is a fair way of conducting the loan, it would seem that mainly people think it's not which has given food for thought. The feedback is much appreciated ?
The potential loaner is aware of the horses' little differences and is willing/able to accommodate.
There are several reasons for the owner preferring to loan but there is dome consideration on doing a LWVTB instead.
Although I have a loan horse I don't personally think I'd cope with being the owner, I'd be a nervous wreck ???

Apizz2019

Visit site
Good loaners are the vast majority. The problem is that from the outside, you can't tell which are the good and which are the bad until it's too late.

Yeah, I did say I was biased based on my experience of having a pony on loan who'd been in multiple experienced loan homes from the age of 5, until he came to us at 18.

People are sometimes not what they appear to be, sadly.

sarahmac77

Visit site
Is it acceptable/legal/ethical etc to ask for a loaning deposit...???
I dont want to go into masses of detail but I'm trying to help someone out and *think* I have come up with a solution....
Owner is considering putting their horse on permanent loan with someone we both know well, horse has a few management issues (nothing major) but, having read many of the horror stories about loans, is understandably very worried.
So I suggested that the owner asks for a substantial deposit for the loan. This would be retained in a separate bank account and would cover any issues if there were welfare issues etc. By the same token the potential loaner has the right to end the loan and have their money back at any time. Ownership would be retained by current owner with the right to remove the horse if any of the loan criteria was not met. Horse would be leaving with his passport, all of his (fully fitted) tack and rugs etc.
Is this a fair way to do things or is it expecting too much..??
You could use an escrow site (which landlords use to hold deposits)...

Jango

Visit site
The problem with loaning from your yard is you only have the option of people who live in a small radius and you may not have facilities/hacking to make it a good option for even local potential loaners. By all means advertise that first, but when I have previously advertised I've got no responses for full loan to stay at present yard. When I've said 1hr drive from my location you get loads of responses.

If your choices with your horse are full loan on another yard or sell then you have a much better chance on having input into the horses care and management with a loan. If your choices are keep or loan, obviously loaning off the yard is a risk. Ideally loan to someone you know or at least a personal recommendation. Visit regularly, check references before hand. It can go wrong, but mostly it goes right if you are careful!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks everyone, my friend has read through this thread with me and decided you are all right, she trusts the potential loaner and has decided to put the horse on a traditional loan with tight contract. The loaner wanted to buy the horse which is how this all came about. Horse would not be going anywhere else, especially not to a stranger. He will be visited on a very regular basis :)