Loaning out a hunter - sensible or not!?

Teddybully

Visit site
I have a horse that has hunted a few times before, but it's not something I have done or see myself doing this year. Rather than him winter out in a field I was thinking of loaning him to a hunting home, maybe just for the hunt season or longer. Would that be sensible? I know he would rather be fully clipped and out hunting than stuck in a field. Has anyone done this and it's worked out ok? Thank you!

tootsietoo

Visit site
I have had a hunter on loan for a year now, and so far it's working. However, I put my old horse on loan twice, and neither time it worked. The first because the horse could not do what they wanted, the second because he was too much for them.

So I guess the answer is to make sure that he is suited to his job and his loaners. If he's only hunted a few times you might want to make sure he goes to an experienced hunting home rather than a novicey one.

spacefaer

Visit site
We have one on loan - his owners no longer have a use for him and he doesn't choose to do anything else. The first people they loaned him to were more novicey than they admitted.

We have huge amounts of fun with him - he's absolutely brilliant and his owners are pleased with the arrangement. He is "as ours" we have him all the time, including his summer at grass, get him fit etc etc

It can work - just vet the home, get hunting references and try to do it through word of mouth as personal recommendation is the best way :)

star

Visit site
whereabouts are you? i'm looking for a new horse to buy but it's taking time and could well be interested in loaning something to hunt if i dont find something soon.