Loaning out as a broodmare

kassieg

Visit site
I have recently had the devastating news that my 4 year old ISH mare has fractured her navicular bone.

She was in the process of being sold when she went lame so heartbreaking for both me & the buyer.

Vet has basically said because of the type & how it's been done she won't be able to be ridden again but we can get her field sound. Or my other option is pts :(

I was selling as with a new job & house purchase I have no time, but was planning on going back to horses.

My query is do people loan broodmares? Obviously she has no comp record due to her age but has fantastic confirmation, good breeding & is generally a lovely horse. Put will some more tb blood she will throw some cracking eventers or hunters put with ID.

I am trying to explore all possible options before I make the hardest 1 of my life to pts. I will not have her passed around so won't consider selling & will want to check out new home no matter where she goes.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
If she's not going to stand up to ridden work, then surely the weight of carrying a foal would be too much?

kassieg

Visit site
Spoken to the vet at length about it & he has advised she will be fine. The operation will make her sound but consistent hard work would mean that the leg which is already weakened will be much more vulnerable to breaking down in other ways.

TheMule

Visit site
Depends really on what you're able to produce. How is your mare bred? Is her damline string and producing useful horses?
Will you aim to sell the foal? The market is pretty rubbish for anything other than very nicely bred foals so there's no guarentee you'd be able to sell

kassieg

Visit site
When I say loan out I mean for someone else to breed from & so it would be whatever they want to do with the foal
I might consider breeding 1 in the future myself but would be to keep
She's half connemara (sire) & dam was reg ISH (ID x TB) good bloodlines. Dam is producing useful eventing stock in Ireland - I bought her straight from the breeder

SusieT

Visit site
I think in this case, with an injury, a young well bred , good conformation horse I see no reason not to breed her if the right stallion is picked and there is a future for the foal - yes people loan out mares, I would not sell her to keep an over riding control on her welfare but loan with regular checks should be fine.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I was in an identical scenario to you, see my post on here. I was lucky to find an experienced breeder who bought her from me (used to post on this forum yonks ago). With a connie sire, I would have thought that the offspring would be rather mixed, so your market might be limited. Good luck with her, I used Horsequest to advertise. Tend not to get timewasters on that site.

be positive

Visit site
Is she big enough for the ET studs to take her on, her breeding and lack of performance record will be irrelevant to them although I think they prefer to take mares that have previously foaled it would be an option to consider.

crabbymare

Visit site
I have a broodmare on loan but she is proven and is SPS. for me a mare would need to have done something competatively (difficult with yours as she is only 4) or would need to be almost perfect conformationally and from a good family. the other smaller problem is that it is now towards the end of may and unless you are very quick at getting someone for her and getting the agreement etc sorted out it will be getting late in the year for most breeders who would normally have their mares and matings sorted out by now. you say about an operation to get her field sound - has she had it yet and if so what is the timescale if mrs x came along at the weekend and said they would have her? you also need to think about the what if side of things and what would happen if the loaner was struck down by lightning or something and could not keep her? have you tried the british breeders page on facebook as there are some knowlegable people on there? sorry I only have questions but I do hope you find someone for her.

be positive

Visit site
Last edited: